ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Fail - help/advice needed??

Renault Clio 172
Hello!!!

I just wondered if someone could give me some advice.....

My car failed it's MOT today on mainly:

* Nearside front suspension arm having excessive play in a pin/bush????

* Offiside Track rod end ball joint having excessive play????

Basically, will anything need to be replaced and if so, how much would it cost roughly to be replaced???

And they failed because of my magic tree's hanging from the mirror lol

If someone could help would be great as I don't know much about this type of thing. The garage that done the MOT test are giving me a call tomorrow with prices to have things done so wanted some advice from here just so I know if what they are saying tis true etc

Thanks!

Valver
First one is a rubber bush on the passenger side suspension, cheap to buy, cheap if you know someone to do it, isn't a very hard job just can take a little while, part is only like £10-£20ish

Second is a joint as well, easier to replace than the first again only a tenner for the part and fitting shouldn't be too much!

If you have to pay a garage to do it obv will be more but shouldn't be a great deal extra...

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Check GSF for prices. I had a ball joint with play and TBH the cost of whole lower arm inc ball joint wasn't much more than the ball joint itself so got that done. Less than 1 hour labour.

Might be worth you fitting both as if a bush has gone, who's to say next year it won't be the ball joint. One less thing to worry about.

MK1 PH3 RSi
just got two lower arms from GSF today, £24 each, these will fix your MOT fail, not that bad to fit. A saturady morning job if you know someone in the trade.

D

Renault Clio 172
Well I went to the garage this afternoon after work to pick up a quote to do the work......£180 labour charge with £124of this being on the suspension!

I know a guy that owns a garage in Peterborough so might go and see him tomorrow and see what he would charge.

One final thing - (I really don't know anything about this type of thing lol) they'ev put they will replace the whole n/s/f suspension arm and also o/s/f track rod end, this mean they are replacing the ball joint does anyone know?

Really making myself look stupid but I really don't have a clue! lol

Bullshit!!!

There are 2 bushes on the suspension on the RT, both on the wishbones where they conect to subframe, these can be pressed out and replaced, if they dont' believe you i have 2 wishbones sat in my garage with the old bushes pressed out, these are gonna be £20 tops from renault.

Will look up the part number and price for you.

Labour wise you are talking 10 mins to replace track rod end, 10 mins to track it all up again, bushes prolly 1-2 hours tops