ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mot fail incorrect ?

172 cup
172 cup failed for 2 reasons both of which i think may be incorrect

1. front springs loose when jacked up and could fall out

car has apex springs so are shorter as are any car with lowering springs and will be loose. is the test not when car is put down into normal driving position if springs do not reseat in correct possition without help - fail? the springs are fine and should pass ? tempted to cable tie inplace anyway

2. rear brakes little or no effort

i know about compensator valve on cups etc but when leaver on mine is up or down makes no diffrence wheels can still be turned with foot on brake so i takeit this valve is stuck or broken. i know there is a vosa document about compensator valve on cups, should this doc be enough to pass car or should rear brakes still meet a minimum target?

any help appreciated

172 cup
yep i know about that document and hopefully it gets me through mot but even with this should brakes not meet a minimum target? mine do nothing

so apex springs are an mot fail ? surely not or they would fail everycar fitted with these?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
The link above clearly states it is only a fail if they fail to relocate without assistance when lowered back onto the ground.

As for the rear brakes, I would WANT my car to fail if the rear brakes weren't doing anything!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for correcting me Chris, it says this:

Some vehicle owners fit shorter coil springs
to lower the vehicle, which in itself is not a
problem. But when the vehicle is jacked up
with the suspension (front or rear) hanging
free, the springs may come out of their
seating. The manual is quite specific about
this: it is only an RfR if the spring does not
relocate itself without assistance when the
vehicle is lowered to the ground.
If you still have concerns about this type
of spring, then pass and advise. With
computerisation, the record will stay

172 cup
cheers lads, so am i correct in saying both points have been failed by mistake , dont want to go telling mot tester how to do his job unless i am correct

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
cheers lads, so am i correct in saying both points have been failed by mistake , dont want to go telling mot tester how to do his job unless i am correct

Assuming your springs relocated correctly when lowered down then yes you are correct.

Report them to VOSA (or go and mention to them that you are going to if they dont issue you an MOT)

172 cup
i mentioned this at time when he failed it but didnt believe me and i wasnt 100% myself so when i go back for retest i will take document with me see what he says, if he doesent accept it i will be reporting him to vosa as this is a pain in the erse cheers

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just bear in mind that link is 6 years old of course, so the rules may have changed since, so email to Vosa and ask them first (or phone them)

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Surely when doing jumps in the car having loose springs is a massive problem?

Only if they don't re-seat correctly on landing ;)

Your compensator valve should make a difference when moved manually. On my 172 cup with the compensator in the std position you can just turn the rear wheels by hand but not easily. With the compensator held up with cable ties the rear effort is greatly increased, you should definitely notice a difference.

172 cup
Surely when doing jumps in the car having loose springs is a massive problem?

agreed does seem dangerous but not an mot fail by the looks of it.

yes i think compensator valve is goosed as it does nothing, maybe abit wd40 will sort it out , hopefully for time being vosa doc does job as i need car.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
You've not actually told us what the brake test readings you got were. Post them up and then we can tell you if it was a pass or fail.

172 cup
cable tied springs in place so they not going anywhere and cable tied valve up after a few thumps with hammer valve started working, striped rear calipers cleaned up new pads fingers crossed all good for mot later today. cable tie mans best friend

cable tie mans best friend

Knowsit.

604082_10151168986418681_1044805256_n.jpg