ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT fail - Sabelt steering wheel - lack of airbag

E92 M3, BG 182
Just at the garage having the MOT done on my 182. MOT tester has said it will fail because ‘original steering wheel airbag is missing and must be fitted’. There is no airbag light on the dash - it was switched off with a clip at Diamond Motors a couple of weeks ago, and it passed last year at a different MOT station with the Sabelt wheel no issues. Have I just got a stickler of an MOT tester?

Cheers,
Dave.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yea, although it is an MOT failure for an airbag to be missing when one was originally installed.

>>
>>

7.1.5 Airbags
This inspection is for all airbags fitted as original equipment other than on Class 3 vehicles.

A passenger airbag that is switched off isn’t a defect.

Defect Category
  1. An airbag fitted as original equipment obviously missing
Major
  1. Not in use
N/A
  1. An airbag obviously inoperative
Major

I don't understand what 'Not in use' means?? but it would appear to be a way to avoid any issues if you have an MOT tester that is not anally retentive.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Just take it somewhere else, mine has gone through the last 3 years with no issues.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
>>
>>

I don't understand what 'Not in use' means?? but it would appear to be a way to avoid any issues if you have an MOT tester that is not anally retentive.
So if you sellotape your airbag to the wheel its there but not in use so will be a pass. No?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
As far as I'm aware, if the car had an airbag from the factory, it has to have one for the MOT, unless the car has clearly been modified for competition use.

You need to find yourself a friendly tester, or strip the car out and fit buckets and a cage ;)

182 clio
If the old wheel per say was fitted but no airbag was in place I could see how that was a fail.
The fact it's an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag placement leaves that up to question surely?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
If the old wheel per say was fitted but no airbag was in place I could see how that was a fail.
The fact it's an aftermarket steering wheel with no airbag placement leaves that up to question surely?

Not if you follow the letter of the manual. All Clio's were fitted with a steering wheel airbag as "original equipment".

And therefore "an airbag fitted as original equipment obviously missing" is a major.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Would that work? If the airbag is wheel, and the air bag light didn't come on (and go off again), is that still not a fail?

Yeah it will. The light operates like normal (passenger dash and seat airbags etc).

Tester can't tell its unplugged.

If you connected it, you'd probably get the airbag light as even though its coded out it can still see it and therefore throw a wobbly.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Ah ok. Thought the light might stay on if the wheel air bag wasn't connected.

One thing I would take from this is that, if it's a road car, I think I'd just keep the airbags, it's a lot easier ?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I would do as suggested and slap on a standard wheel with airbag.

Just remember to plug the horn in and not the airbag as he will push the horn.

NTG999

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
From the way I understand it, the MOT tester is exactly right, if OE airbag in steering wheel it has to be there, your problem now going to another MOT station is there is a record of why it failed, buy a cheap steering wheel for MOTs

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Can't really say the tester's being unreasonable, your car simply doesn't meet the requirements for annual test,
sort the issue as stated above, get a non sport wheel and airbag for £20 off eBay

172 Ph1
Well if that’s the case , I’m fucked , I don’t even have any Airbag ecu or squib anymore , so if push comes to shove , I’ll be wiring my airbag lamp to my abs bulb and both will come on and go out like normal and oh fit the Oe wheel and bag . [emoji6]

E92 M3, BG 182
Stuck the old wheel and airbag back on today for retest on Wednesay - fingers crossed ?

Renault Clio 172
Anyone got an original steering with the squib they would be prepared to sell? MOT tester refuses to pass it now without this (never had an issue before), never had one for ours it was how we bought it.

Or be prepared to rent it to us to get it through the MOT.

Renault Clio 172
Surely easier to just take the car for it's MOT somewhere else?
It's on the service history now so any MOT'er could also be persuaded by this. Can try this but no guarantees this will work and in the meantime throwing money away.

Racky

ClioSport Club Member
  Minion Yellow

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 46