ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT failure - How much to put right

172 Cup
Its that time of year again and No-Name's just failed her MOT. Haven't seen the sheet yet to know the exact issues but just had a call from Soph and it needs;

Both rear shocks,
Front pads,
Rear brakes (don't know if its just the pads/discs or if the calipers need doing). I'm presuming the garage knew about the cups brakes but I'll double check when I see the certificate later.
Leaky exhaust failing the emissions test.

Just wondering if some nice person can give me a rough idea of the costs involved, waiting for Ren-O-Tec to get back to me but since moving to Norfolk their no longer that local so any good garage recommendations would be appreciated also. The exhaust back box should be fine as its pretty new but think the centre pipe is on its way out so probably whats causing the emissions failure.

Cheers,
Ian

172 Cup
You are correct sir, just having a look through the old docs and it £100.62 for the shocks last time round! Brings me on to another question, they were replaced 18 months/18,000miles ago - should they really be fubar'd again already? Doesn't seem like much of a lifespan to me.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm... does sound weird. Have you got any lowering springs fitted?

Sounds like the garage might be trying it on. They've seen your GF (i pressume) turn up and thought "right, it needs this, this and this".

172 Cup
Standard setup. It was taken to the garage by a mechanic friend who uses the garage for tests all the time so doubt theres anything dodgy going on.

I've now got the certificate in front of me and the full reasons are;
Brake failure: RBT park efficiency: 11% (is this still within the limit set on the VOSA sheet about the cup models?)
nsr brake recording little or no effort
osr brake recording little or no effort
nsr parking brake recording little or no effort
osr paring brake recording little or no effort
nsr shock has serious fluid leak
osr shock has serious fluid leak
rear brake load sensing valve linkage seized

Advisory: ns inner rear brake pad wearing thin.

Guess I was making up needing front pads so thats one less thing to replace.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Standard setup. It was taken to the garage by a mechanic friend who uses the garage for tests all the time so doubt theres anything dodgy going on.

Brake failure: RBT park efficiency: 11% (is this still within the limit set on the VOSA sheet about the cup models?)

Sounds like they want some money out of you. A leaking shock is not a fail so make sure they are really serious!!!! Also all the brake sound like they didnt know it was a cup. I think you should have passed buddy. Take it to a council run center. They can't fix anything so are more likely to test fairly. Alternatively try a Halfords auto center I have had 3 MOTs (including my CUP) in the last year on various cars and they have been excellent and that was at 3 different branches.

The rear brake valve is why the rear service brake is crap its siezed thats you problem with the service brake ,
the parking brake needs to be 16% efficient so may need cables or adjusting or even callipers if they are knackered
shockers depends on warranty with them see what warranty they got, if they are excessive wet fine, shoudnt fail that quickly

If your unhappy then apeal but be warned you will have pay a test are 2bh these are common things , even on cups , ive had a few with the load valved knackered ! doesnt matter what car it is cup or what if that valve is seized it sends less fluid to the back hence the lttle or no effort recorded !!

PS hope it helps :D

Last edited:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The rear brake valve is why the rear service brake is crap its siezed thats you problem with the service brake ,
the parking brake needs to be 16% efficient so may need cables or adjusting or even callipers if they are knackered
shockers depends on warranty with them see what warranty they got, if they are excessive wet fine, shoudnt fail that quickly

If your unhappy then apeal but be warned you will have pay a test are 2bh these are common things , even on cups , ive had a few with the load valved knackered ! doesnt matter what car it is cup or what if that valve is seized it sends less fluid to the back hence the lttle or no effort recorded !!

PS hope it helps :D

I thought the load valve on a cup was fixed, thought it was set to 10% regardless?

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
MOT states this about the Cups.

I have had to screen shoot it in 2 parts

MOTPt1.gif

MOTpt2.gif

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Sounds like they want some money out of you. A leaking shock is not a fail so make sure they are really serious!!!! Also all the brake sound like they didnt know it was a cup. I think you should have passed buddy. Take it to a council run center. They can't fix anything so are more likely to test fairly. Alternatively try a Halfords auto center I have had 3 MOTs (including my CUP) in the last year on various cars and they have been excellent and that was at 3 different branches.

lol @ leaking shock won't fail, don't listen to this guy.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
lol @ leaking shock won't fail, don't listen to this guy.

I didn't say it won't fail as clearly his car has failed and this is one of the reasons. What I was trying to say is it is not an automatic fail. It is inherent in the design of dampers that they leak slightly.

Took this from the following link:
http://www.ukmot.com/mot manual/index.asp?MOT=Shock Absorbers&MOT_Number=2.7&MOT_Section=Steering

"3. Examine each shock absorber for fluid leaks.

Note: Ensure that any fluid near the unit is from the shock absorber and not from another source.

Slight seepage causing a film of fluid on a shock absorber is not a reason for rejection."

Last edited:
There was a couple of threads not long back and a few people had problems with them going soft and falling apart.

Can't remember the in's and outs.

172 Cup
Anyway, back on topic, since I realised I don't need front pads anyway.

Spoke to the garage this morning and they said they are awaye of the VOSA thingy but both rear brakes were only registering about 20 each and the handbrake needs to be 16% instead of the 11% so does sound like they're a bit buggered.

Will get it looked at over the weekend and go from there.