ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT Failures (joy!)

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Both headlamp washers not working
Both headlights aiming too low

I presume the headlamp washers I can just replace with blanks - is there a guide anywhere for this?
Headlamps aiming too low, I had a search on here and someone said something about an allen key to adjust??

I presume the headlamp washers I can just replace with blanks - is there a guide anywhere for this?
Headlamps aiming too low, I had a search on here and someone said something about an allen key to adjust??

you cannot replace the washers with blanks it will fail again, if the vehicle has xenon lights it has to have some sort of wash system ! They need to work !

The head lights will adjust with a Allan key but you'd need a beam setter to get it correct ! Best let the garage do it when they re test it !

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
I'm surprised the garage didn't align them for you, mine would without question, thought it was standard practice?

I normally do it but some garages charge as well ! If it was only that they prob would of done them but thought no point it's fail already do it when it comes back !

They don't have to but a lot do !

Mine didn't work either , new jets £12 genuine , re connected with one way valves jobs a good one !

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
I've bought a new pump but can't remove one of the wipers so not sure what to do!!

O and the registration bulb was out too, thought that would just be a case of changing the bulb but still not working :(

Last edited:

banther

ClioSport Club Member
I've bought a new pump but can't remove one of the wipers so not sure what to do!!

O and the registration bulb was out too, thought that would just be a case of changing the bulb but still not working :(

Was the same with mine.l

Get a new rear number plate lamp from Wests on here. ABout £6. Works perfectly now.

Clio 172 Cup 03 plat
Check the connection for bulb in reg plate. Mine was slightly corroded, bit on sandpaper an good as new

Clio182 turb Audi S5
Lol good MOT tester ! ;) shouldn't have passed !
HID Mot Failures

High Intensity Discharge Xenon headlights are now under Ministry of Transport and VOSA scrutiny. Many suggest HID’s are too bright and cause other road users dazzle; an argument that has brought an enforcement of law

HID Xenon lights have been around unregulated since the early 90’s, Fitted to the highest Marques. HID lights became regulated in 2010, ensuring that all new vehicles with an HID system must have automatic shutdown, self levelling system and headlamp washers.

Many cars were built prior to the 2010 legislation with a factory HID system. These vehicles are not required to have Washers and Levellers, however if fitted they MUST be in full working order to pass the MoT.

Cases have arisen where testers are failing vehicles manufactured with HID’s prior to the 2010 legislation as they did not have washers and levellers. VOSA states in its regulations ‘A car with HID lights MAY also have headlight washers and self levelling which must be checked and in working order if fitted’

This confusion may be caused due to the ready availability of spurious HID systems that fail to meet VOSA regulation. These ‘Kits’ are what testers should be looking for as many safety features are omitted, features which are a standard on factory fitted HID systems.

Xenon technology standard fitment bulbs are readily available as an alternative to retro fitment HID lights. These fully road legal bulbs closely mimic HID lights without the outlay and potential MoT failure.

MK3 Clio DCI 86
I've seen the headlight washer debate many times on CS. Half of people say it will fail, half of people say it will pass if you blank em'. I don't know who to believe :(

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
I ended up buying a small tool from Halfords to remove one of the wipers, and replaced the faulty pump with a £14 one from euro car parts.

One of the headlights wasn't in properly (couldn't tell as there's a massive Ktek induction kit blocking it!), so put that in and twisted in - I'm just going to ask the MOT tester to adjust it when it goes in for retest, as well as fit a new Hankook V12 which I need to order.

Ordered a replacement bulb unit as it was getting power but looked pretty corroded. A fuse blew last night as well, so drove home without any radio/clock lights - wasn't fun!

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
Yeh took me about 20 mins of filing and eventually got it back on. I've f**ked the wiper though, looks really damaged! Will replace it one day, I'm not fussed about it looking perfect atm.

HID Mot Failures

High Intensity Discharge Xenon headlights are now under Ministry of Transport and VOSA scrutiny. Many suggest HID’s are too bright and cause other road users dazzle; an argument that has brought an enforcement of law

HID Xenon lights have been around unregulated since the early 90’s, Fitted to the highest Marques. HID lights became regulated in 2010, ensuring that all new vehicles with an HID system must have automatic shutdown, self levelling system and headlamp washers.

Many cars were built prior to the 2010 legislation with a factory HID system. These vehicles are not required to have Washers and Levellers, however if fitted they MUST be in full working order to pass the MoT.

Cases have arisen where testers are failing vehicles manufactured with HID’s prior to the 2010 legislation as they did not have washers and levellers. VOSA states in its regulations ‘A car with HID lights MAY also have headlight washers and self levelling which must be checked and in working order if fitted’

This confusion may be caused due to the ready availability of spurious HID systems that fail to meet VOSA regulation. These ‘Kits’ are what testers should be looking for as many safety features are omitted, features which are a standard on factory fitted HID systems.

Xenon technology standard fitment bulbs are readily available as an alternative to retro fitment HID lights. These fully road legal bulbs closely mimic HID lights without the outlay and potential MoT failure.

Reading that from a testers point of view , long story short depends on tester !

Ive read the manual on this and makes it clear that if xenons are fitted they should have washers and levers ! If they don't they fail ! It says they don't have to have them but in the manual it reads different !

It's a awkward one !

But from a mechanics point of view it's fairly cheap to get them working so why bother not ? Lol

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
I failed a Porsche 911 a couple of weeks ago for headlamp washers not working (xenon).

Blank them and i will fail it, they are supposed to be there. Same goes for those HID kits off Ebay.

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
You'll be pleased to hear that I have working headlight washers then :)

The only things left to sort are the headlight alignment (I've requested the garage sort this when the retest is done on friday), and fit the new tyre which I ordered from camskill earlier.

182 ff
oh god did the government bring that out,mine has never worked. one off mine works sometimes but the leaks all the water out.

my rear washer didn't work before the mot(not use if its a fail)but I made sure the water bottle was empty before it went in.
and it passed.
also the damper was leaking,so I wiped it all clear too.

I no its a silly question but can anyone just take the bulbs out and replace them after the mot?

182 ff
my failed the mot on rear light,i found one at a scrap yard for 50p changed it,i bought a new bulb and it didn't work.

its a silly place to put a light,rain can get in.

Clio 182
you cannot replace the washers with blanks it will fail again, if the vehicle has xenon lights it has to have some sort of wash system ! They need to work !

you again.......... ;)

spoke to two garages prior to testing, and mine passed no problems with the washers removed and replaced with........tape :)

you again.......... ;)

spoke to two garages prior to testing, and mine passed no problems with the washers removed and replaced with........tape :)

haha me again :p lol well they are very naughty ;) haha although i could argue it with people forever the new rules are as stated and if i you bring it to me i fail :p

lol

JUST FIX THEM ITS £12 FOR WASHER JETS AND £1 ODD FOR A ONE WAY VALVE !! lol worse case a pump and even they aren't exactly mega money !!

swear some people have a phobia of fixing there cars on here :p

Maccy

ClioSport Club Member
  Straight 6
MOT tester told me I could put blanks in and it would pass, I wanted to get the pump replaced and get them working though.