ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mot for track car advice please

Clio 182
Hi,

I'm now convinced that I want to convert my 182 to track car spec but will a stripped out car still pass an MOT ?

I'd there anything I need to look out for in particular... ?

MOT is not for a month or two so have time to make necessary changes etc ... And advise appreciated.

Steven

Range Rover Sport
Seems to be a lot of speculation regarding the MOT and most of it depends on the tester.

Why not wait until the MOT then strip it afterwards?

Clio 182
That would be hard ... Knowing it's sitting waiting to be converted lol.

To be honest, seat are gone... Dash will soon and cage to go in if Oreca can stop thinking I can read French haha...

It's gunna be a race car, Er I mean track car soon (ish)

dan's cast offs.
there is, or at least used to be, something about 'competition' cars being exempt from certain things on the mot.

Lionel Richie
Generally if it's not there it can't be tested

my MOT guy was saying about HID kits the other day, completely legal! Headlight washers can't be tested if not present therefore pass!

the only dodgy one is airbag light and abs light, mine are wired to my oil pressure light so then come on when started but go straight off = pass

Clio 182
Cheers Beasley.
The question is around whether a cage installed will fail the MOT, also whether having seats and harnesses in will fail ???
the original belts will be removed, internal trims but I'm a bit OCD so the wires will be tidy and I'll make up door Cards to fill unnecessary holes.

should be alright ??

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I've just had mine put through an mot and the only thing that was said was an advisory of "no rear seats present". Guy that mot'd it is msa registered for rallying so is a bit anal about things

Mine failed for my sabelt wheel. Coz I'd removed a factory fitted airbag.
However if you've got a cage/harnesses I'm pretty sure that counts as suitable modification to be classed as a track/rally car in which case its okay.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you have a decat then you are instantly into the realms of a dodgy MOT, as even the "modified for off road / completion use" clause doesnt trump emissions laws.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As Chip said, decat is a fail if the emissions don't pass.

Mine isn't decatted. It is however extensively modified (cage, seats, steering wheel, Cup brake setup on a non Cup - ABS delete, etc etc). Check my project thread.

The key is to visit an MoT tester who is experienced with track cars. I also spent some time talking to the tester beforehand and made sure he was aware of the VOSA rules around modified / track use. I also printed off both the MOT additional guidance on Cup braking / non ABS and the issues around the load valve. I also printed the Email from VOSA somewhere on this forum which highlights what things can be removed and still pass if the car is built for track / race / rally use.

Mine passed fine last week, with a dashboard like a Christmas tree and cage / wheel. Etc.

Clio 182
Cheers all for the details ... I will have a goosie at your threads as see whats needed.
I appreciate all the PMs on advice, I genuinely thought it would be a ball ache to do, Ill crack on now get the cage all sorted now :)

421 Cammed 172
Mine recently failed for having the rear seatbelt light illuminated so make sure you use the resistors to sort it.