ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MOT help

RB182cup&golf gti
Just after some advice!

took my 182 cup for its first MOT this morning at renault. I've owned it from new, really look after it, its done 12k miles and its in immac condition. Anyway you guessed it failed :-(

they failed it on front discs being pitted which they said was due to the low mileage so i explained that it does get used and that its garaged so it doesnt stand outside and rot as he was implying, and that discs and pads shouldnt be shot after that low mileage.

So i paid for the MOT test and left although the guy said he'd phone renault to see what they can do (which i know will be nothing!)

So I've booked it in somewhere else where i know it fly through - problem is though, is this now registered on the dvla system (or wherever) as being a fail on brakes, so if i do take it somewhere else they're gonna fail it as well as they will have access to the data? or is the re-test totally independent?

thing is they wanted £260 for discs and pads when i know there's nowt wrong with them!

I dont think its registered fella.

Just take it along to somewhere else and let them test it, dont even mention it having been to Renault.

That price is a tad steep anyway!!

Formally Clio 182
Do you think you can have a look at them for yourself?

Loads of info online about things like this if you don't know what to look for. Unfortunately a small minority of MOT places do like to make stuff up to get money for the work.

RB182cup&golf gti
yeah it's a total rob mate! I could get someone to do it for nowt and just pay for the parts but there's jack all wrong with the brakes!

RB182cup&golf gti
I know now that i shouldnt of took it there but my logic was there's 6 days of the warranty left so if they do find somert then they can put it right - kind of back fired!

RB182cup&golf gti
Do you think you can have a look at them for yourself?

Loads of info online about things like this if you don't know what to look for. Unfortunately a small minority of MOT places do like to make stuff up to get money for the work.

Yeah i'll prob get the wheels off this aft and see what i can see. Thing is the car is still in showroom condition so never even entered my mind that they'd fail it!

clio sport f1 r27
from what i can see all over this forum is renault do not admit to jack **** when i was on mazda rx8 forum we all got everything replaced even if our alloys pitted we got a brand new set if ur brakes squeeld they replaced them from what i can tell they take the piss!!!

RB182cup&golf gti
Yeah i've read some posts on here where people have bought brand new cars that are fault after fault after fault and the manufacturer aint interested in the slightest so i know he'll spin me some bullsh*t about it being my fault!

from what i can see all over this forum is renault do not admit to jack **** when i was on mazda rx8 forum we all got everything replaced even if our alloys pitted we got a brand new set if ur brakes squeeld they replaced them from what i can tell they take the piss!!!

Renault certainly seem the worst for warranty cases, if you go on what you read on this forum. No wonder people call them stealers (Sorry Edde)

RB182cup&golf gti
so do you reckon then if i go elsewhere they wont be able to find out that renault have already failed it, as i know these electronic MOTs are different to the old ones?

Exactly the same as my-self, 1st MOT,12500mls,FAIL,disc`s corroded,dealers to be fair also said that they would say it failed due to a suspension bush or something so only had to pay for parts, £80 for discs and pads:)

RB182cup&golf gti
Jacked the car up before and took all the wheels off to have a look at the brakes. There is some corrosion on the inside of the front discs, mainly near the edges. Had a word with one of my neighbours and his mate is a mechanic and he said just give it a good blast and apply the brakes for a bit to clean them so did that but will have to see tomorrow if its worked. Annoying thing is they're hardly worn at all. I cleaned the car last sunday and then put it away in the garage and came to move it on thursday and the handbrake was welded on with disc rust so that wont have helped.

Why do people MOT their cars at the dealer?

In my experience they always find something they can fix to get it through.
Everyone has there own experiances though.

Mines never had any trouble excluding what needed to be found anyway.

Many delaers offer a very good deal on MOT's etc.
Maxda RX8 isn';t the same price as a 172 or 182 etc.

Dealers are on the whole very good, people on here feel like they have to **** dealers off though for no decient reason.

Renault certainly seem the worst for warranty cases, if you go on what you read on this forum. No wonder people call them stealers (Sorry Edde)
You need to try some other dealers and other manurfacturers quality control before you can **** of Renault IMO. I've seen some right poor quality elsewhere.

Mini Cooper S sport
Just after some advice!

took my 182 cup for its first MOT this morning at renault. I've owned it from new, really look after it, its done 12k miles and its in immac condition. Anyway you guessed it failed :-(

they failed it on front discs being pitted which they said was due to the low mileage so i explained that it does get used and that its garaged so it doesnt stand outside and rot as he was implying, and that discs and pads shouldnt be shot after that low mileage.

So i paid for the MOT test and left although the guy said he'd phone renault to see what they can do (which i know will be nothing!)

So I've booked it in somewhere else where i know it fly through - problem is though, is this now registered on the dvla system (or wherever) as being a fail on brakes, so if i do take it somewhere else they're gonna fail it as well as they will have access to the data? or is the re-test totally independent?

thing is they wanted £260 for discs and pads when i know there's nowt wrong with them!

My 182 went for its first MOT this morning - and passed! I was a bit concerned about the brakes because it's done 21.5k miles and not had new discs or pads yet :eek:

They said the OS inner front disc was slightly pitted as an advisory note, but still passed it. It said [3.5.1h] after the note, don't know what that means.

They said the OS inner front disc was slightly pitted as an advisory note, but still passed it. It said [3.5.1h] after the note, don't know what that means.

That means agains rule 3.5.1 part H (the condition and security of brake drums and discs) that whilst your car pass ie brake disc isn't excessively pitted (which would be a falure inder 3.5.1h it is something to note and idealy get chnaged.