ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mot seats and belt question.

1.2 clio
I've got my mot coming up and I'm unsure if it's a fail or pass. So the question is If I strip out the rear will it pass or fail. I currently have all seats in but no middle seat belt took it out to find a leak and don't want it back in as I want to strip it out.

Cheers mark

I asked my mate this who's an MOT tester. He said at his garage, if there is a seat then it needs a seat belt. But if there is no seat then no seat belt is required.

I'm not sure if that's the actual law or just the policy at his garage. All garages will vary to some extent.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I asked my mate this who's an MOT tester. He said at his garage, if there is a seat then it needs a seat belt. But if there is no seat then no seat belt is required.

I'm not sure if that's the actual law or just the policy at his garage. All garages will vary to some extent.

How would that work with 172 cups?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I always put my seats back in for mot time, i've had testers be a bit funny about there being belts but no seats,
so I just bolt the whole lot back in once a year, only takes 5 mins.

Oh and cups don't have a middle seat belt, it was in a thread the other week with pics to prove it,
there's nothing on the roof and no holder for one in between the seats either.

That was on a 172 cup.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
does the cup still have 5 seater on the logbook?? or is it sold as a 4 seater?!

afaik, all seats need belts and all belts need seats. and REMOVED safety equitment will definately make complications!

Racing Blue Clio 182
As said above if there is a seat its needs a seat belt if seats are removed its an advisory no rear seats fitted at time test unable to check seatbelts so just remove the rear seats it will pass

Clio 172 cup + 325ci
does the cup still have 5 seater on the logbook?? or is it sold as a 4 seater?!

afaik, all seats need belts and all belts need seats. and REMOVED safety equitment will definately make complications!

Didn't want to start a new thread on this but basically my car(172 cup) failed the NCT(Irish MOT) the other day due to having no centre seat belt so they asked me to either get the logbook amended as it has it down as a 5 seater or fit a centre belt.

I have less than 30 days to sort either or I have to pay for a full retest which I don't want.

Sorting the logbook out could well take over 30 days so im looking at throwing in a seat belt.

Question is how do you fit one in a cup? Am I right in saying in the normal 172 its roof mounted? I had a look in mine and I cant see anywhere to mount one even if I borrow it from a friends 172.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
My suggestion would be to go to a scrappies and get a rear bench from any other clio along with a middle belt then replace them for the MOT.

Don't how they'd react to missing seats because the rear bench doesn't have space for a fifth seat.