ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

moving back to the states

172 cup
Hello, as the title reads, I am moving back to the states next Thurs 18th Feb, I want to export my 172, can anyone give me any advice on the legalities of having a 172 in the States? Also, reliable shippers?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Off topic slightly. But just think how small the Clio will be in the states compared to every other huge car.

Iceberg 172
Seriously??? You must love it! Surely the cost of shipping it would be an awful lot of money... Must be 50%of the cars value????

And the rest I expect. Depends how much cash you have and how desperate you are to have it out there.

Are you having a container for all the rest of your belongings?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I doubt the car will be legal there. You'll probably have to register in in a more "relaxed" state. A few people tried to import S1 elises back in the day and they got confiscated.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Wouldn't surprise me if the Clio couldn't drink their petrol either. American fuel is even lower octane than ours isn't it? As Jeremy Clarkson referred to it - "limp wristed fairy liquid".

I thought Clios were popular in Mexico, maybe buy one there and drive it home (must be cheaper, and the correct hand drive).

Iceberg 172
I would of thought you'd need to slap orange reflectors all over it too like the yank spec cars have.

Sell it to me if it's nice... I need a new car!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
This would get my vote, simply for being a left hooker.

Its not the same system though remember! 91 octane equates to near enough 95 ron, 87 octane is 91 ron and i'm sure they use the same scale graduation.

no idea on that, I'm just going off what I saw. Pump gas said 91octane, but if it's a 95 equivalent then that's not too bad... although that's premium and as good as it gets lol.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Cost of getting it there and making road legal will be more than it's worth, remember headlights, indicators, registration, tyres..... etc

Clio 182
as said in the link its very dependant on safety standards , their cars have to be a specific height from the floor out there! lots of people who modify their cars in the states get impounded for illegal lowering.

the mitsubishi FTO for example is a car thats illegal in ALL states, to be honest it probably should be illegal in all countries due to how piss poor they are but still. talk to the embassy and find out the guidelines and rules first hand

S4 Avant
Annoying that it costs so much. I'd love just to drive my car across America in one epic long road trip.

Evo 8 MR
Theres a guy on here whos got a 182 and he lives in New York iirc. Can't remember his name though.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
It'd be a fun car over there i bet, a 2.0 in america is still tiny but there 6.0l's probably produce less power!

This is one area ive always had a wierd 'thing' for. I think its the idea of the look on most americans faces when they see a small, quick car that isnt a honda.

As mentioned though, looks seriously difficult to do. I always think of US-Spec 911's that have those awful bumper extensions so they meet bumper regulations in the states - and thats just one small part of the regulations the clio would have to meet:

carreras05_05.jpg

Never above 25mpg
This is one area ive always had a wierd 'thing' for. I think its the idea of the look on most americans faces when they see a small, quick car that isnt a honda.

As mentioned though, looks seriously difficult to do. I always think of US-Spec 911's that have those awful bumper extensions so they meet bumper regulations in the states - and thats just one small part of the regulations the clio would have to meet:

Make E30s look fookin awful ;)
sp3.jpg

American buggers
CIMG3084.jpg

dk

911 GTS Cab
Cost of getting it there and making road legal will be more than it's worth, remember headlights, indicators, registration, tyres..... etc
lol, best getting in touch with the experts, theres very little knowledge in this thread tbh.

what's he need to do to the indicators lol, won't they work over there or will they be on the wrong side;)

Lots of cars over there the same as here, mini's, they sell the scooby sti etc. They used ot have renault over there, years ago.

Rules for maunfacturing cars are different to importing, so i very much doubt anything on the bumpers will need to be changed lol.

Depending on which state you are going to you will probably need to invest in some winter tyres, but not much more really.

But I probably know about as much as everyone else, very little!

I'd love to drive the megane around over there though, the looks you would get would be cool.

dk

911 GTS Cab
As said lot of work needed to get it legal for the States. Fancy sourcing a Corvette for me? ;)
lol, really, have you seen the shitboxes they drive around over there, they would laugh if you tried to mot them over here, theres no mot in the states iirc.

i guess you'd have to go through something similar to an sva here.

172 cup
turning signal is amber. I've been looking into quotes none have gotten back to me yet. I wouldn't imagine how a Renault Clio would not be legal to drive in the states considering there are other foreign cars I've seen around the streets in the States. Take for instance Integra Type R's from Japan.

I realize the emissions could be a bit of an issue (I'm moving to RI), but it's only a Clio 2.0L engine so I couldn't imagine the cost of modifying it would be too costly.

And, yes I am leaving it a bit late - life happens.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL, yellow?

they used to be red, but because of so many european cars over there now they have amber like ours..........

Yes, you right. It was twenty years ago my parents imported a Chevy Camaro so memory of the colour was a bit rusty :eek: