ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Moving crossovers to here...

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
I'm thinking of changing the crossover locations. I want to put them in the compartment at the bottom of the door card so I can fiddle about with the multiple attenuation settings without having to take the door cards on/off all the time. This would give me nice easy access and keep the crossovers away from any in-door moisture.

I was thinking of something like this:

crossover5hn.jpg

I'd drill a hole where the circle is for the wires, on the 'incline' bit so I'd avoid the window operation which appears to be flush at the very back. There would be 6 wires at 25mm each so the hole would have to be at least 75mm diameter to fit them all through. Probably 1cm to do it nice and easy. I'd put a rubber grommet in it and maybe sealant it up as well.

The 3 pairs of wires will run along the inside of the door card to the tweeters/mids and HU wiring. The crossover would be mounted with sticky pads.

Anyone see any obvious problems with this? Window, running wires, excessive road noise through the hole, or anything else?

Polo + Micra
i don't think you will get many wires through a 10mm hole

drill a 20 and get an open gromet (ask an electrician) and whack that in there

should be fine but wouldn't it be a pain running two pairs of wires out to the doors?

Nah my tweeters are in the top of the door card, my wires from my amp are bulleted to the standard wiring in the footwell. So all the wiring will be contained in the door. Couldn't be arsed going through the door connector!!

Actually you're right. I just measured and the wire+insulation is actually 4mm thick. So 1.5-2cm should be plenty of room for 6 x 2.5mm wires if they go through like this:

---0-0---
--0-0-0--
---0-----

Cheers.

Finally did this on Thursday using a Halfrauds 19mm grommet. Fitted through tight but with enough room to pull through ok.

Pic:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

comps4ko.jpg

(OEM peaker grille not on so you can see the mids)

comps22mv.jpg

(Close-up of the hole/grommet)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opinions? Probably not to everyone's taste but I like it, it's a bit different, and most importantly they sound sweeeeeet!!

Last edited: