ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MP3 Normilisation....

Spelt very wrong but....

I have a programme to set all my MP3's at the same DB, i ran them through and they all range between 94 & 101db.... what would people say the best level would be to convert them all too??

6/468 17poo
i would like to know what the programme is called please mate as when making mixes on the decks i hate it when ones really loud then the next is quiet!!so annoying, sorry dont no the right level tho

Ryan

Polo + Micra
maybe set them all to the lowest as making them louder might make them sound s**t

well they averaged out to about 98db so set them all at that.. it was only a max of 3db different for each one so should not affect quality too much TBH!

Beatjunkie... the programme is MP3gain and its free:

http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

'MP3Gain does not just do peak normalization, as many normalizers do. Instead, it does some statistical analysis to determine how loud the file actually sounds to the human ear.
Also, the changes MP3Gain makes are completely lossless. There is no quality lost in the change because the program adjusts the mp3 file directly, without decoding and re-encoding'

As father and son....
id love to know how that works as the human frequency range differs from person to person :)

Gav76 said:
Remember 3db difference is around twice as loud!! Big difference

most of them were already around 96/97 db and a few at 94 db.... i have put them all up to 98 db and trust me.. its not twice as loud lol!

Polo + Micra
3dB is twice as loud but your hearing will make you think it is twice as loud with a 10dB boost

ant

yep.
not quite right.

60dB is twice as loud as 50dB

90dB is twice as loud as 80dB

every 10dB is a doubling of perceived loudness.

most normilisation programs use 0dB as a maximum so it depends on wether the software is just finding the peak then setting that at 0dB or wether there is any compression going on [which it sounds like there is].

you want to compress the signal ideally to smooth it out.

it gets quite deep.

Polo + Micra
daze said:
not quite right.

60dB is twice as loud as 50dB

90dB is twice as loud as 80dB

every 10dB is a doubling of perceived loudness.

most normilisation programs use 0dB as a maximum so it depends on wether the software is just finding the peak then setting that at 0dB or wether there is any compression going on [which it sounds like there is].

you want to compress the signal ideally to smooth it out.

it gets quite deep.

perceived loudness is what the human ear thinks is twice as loud

but every 3dB is actually twice a loud