ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mpg accurate

anyone know/think mpg comp on 182s accurate!! on motorway today doing 60 in 5th gear mines read 56.6 at its highest point? can anyone confirm/rubbish?

VaVa

Sounds fair, I take it you had just reset it.?. Ive always found the computer to be a little bit optimistic but not a million miles away....

Its the same computer as fitted to the normal spec Clios and accoring to my figures over 20k it is accurate to -0.5% ie very vey acurate it works of the ECU injection quantity.

172 GTR

On my 172 it reads 2 MPG over ie 35 MPG is 33 MPG if you work it out at the pumps. It is a very good guide.

Clio Trophy #123

Ive always reset mine after fill up and have found it pretty accurate in me 172 CUP.

Also the countdown to conkout is pretty spot on. i.e. I have counted the miles from when the countdown goes to - - - - normally around 30ish miles and I have made it to work and back, which is a 28 mile round trip, on many an occasion.

The above information is to be used at your own risk LOL. Dont come running to me. You house may be at risk if you do not keep up repayments on it.

http://www.easytaichi.co.uk/images/car.gif

from my experience they are vastly out when reading that high
56.6 mpg = 622 per tank and i can tell you you will be lucky to see 370 out of a tank

Clio Trophy #123

Yeah but it evens out. When you fill up on a motorway, get back on it, the MPG is in the 50s. But once you plod about, it returns to the 32ish mark.

The comnputer is very accurate IMO. (and others)

56.6 mpg...

I never ever get over 41 MPG full stop!

well apart from after resetting but thats a false reading.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

after reset id say it only starts to get accurate after 20-30 miles, and for the record my best was 362.8 the other day which was after some very considerate but not too boring driving. Would have got more but dealership on monday took it out for 30miles and binned it most of the time, so i think id have got at least 370-375 bar him doing that!!

id say the average is usually for about 25-33 dependant on usage, does improve with age imo

Ive started to ignored the mpg reading on my 182 (6500mile), and based it on miles covered and remaining miles when at top up. I get anything between 240-80miles town driving (not thrashing). After top up i get around 28mpg reading then with miles the bloody mpg reading decreases slowly. Most of my town miles cover the same route everyday so very little changes. One time the mpg dropped from 28 to 19 just before i topped up ???!! town miles. Puzzles me whether ive got a dodgy sensor ?

Full tank Optimax. Hull to Huddersfield. Average around 70-80mph all the way. 32mpg. My comp has never seen 40 let along 56mpg. wtf is mine wrong (after reading the other posts) ?

tiTTy & SV650

you shouldnt run the tank when its nearly empty, u run the fuel pump dry and start to pump little particles of sh*t and ruin the fuel pump.

i find the mpg pretty accurate too

EVO VII

MPG figure is an average not real time., you need to do a few miles before it can work it out. if you reset it and drive slowly it will read stupidly high same goes for thrashing it ive had mine down to 10 mpg. i try not to reset mine and it averages about 28 - 29 mpg.

Ive let the 172s trip computer average over a couple of months to give it a more realistic figure. After 700 miles its reading 34.2mpg (mix of gentle and occasionally "spirited" driving). The car is on 21k miles.

I noticed that in the Mk1 Clios the fuel gauge stuck at full for ages, then dropped rapidly, especially after 1/2 way.

In the Mk2 Clios, it seems that the gauge drops from full immediately - but then takes ages to drop from 1/2 way! Is this what other people find?

Street Triple R

56.6mpg yep that sounds about right, that would be your current average MPG if you had just reset it on a motorway drive

133/225/CLS AMG

Ive had 45mpg out of my 172 but thats been the most. which was cruising around 70mph.

I should imagine if youre only doing 60mph and since the car has so little mileage on it your probably running it in and not revving high which would probably explain such a high mpg.

Quote: Originally posted by Danny P on 07 April 2005

On my 172 it reads 2 MPG over ie 35 MPG is 33 MPG if you work it out at the pumps. It is a very good guide.
Thats exactly what I find - that its a bit optimistic and reads about 2mpg over the actual mpg. I always reset it after each fill up too.

How does everyone actually work out their mpg manually? I use this:

1. Brim the tank on fill up & reset trip mileage.
2. Drive for a full tank.
3. Refill tank, brimming it again.
4. Note mileage and amount of fuel used for that mieage, i.e. how much fuel I put in the car at that fill up.
(Always brim it so I know exactly how much fuel was in the tank to begin with).

Now my maths:
(32 / 7) x (no. miles / no. litres) = m.p.g.

Quote: Originally posted by rory182 on 08 April 2005
you shouldnt run the tank when its nearly empty, u run the fuel pump dry and start to pump little particles of sh*t and ruin the fuel pump.i find the mpg pretty accurate too

they do have fuel filters you know ;)

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

56mpg!!!!!!!

370 to a tank full!!!!!!!

i never get more than 250 miles out of a tankful!

Scruffy blue 182

never get much more than 26-28 out of mine, but its a 2mph plod all the way to work and back.....

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I got 39mpg at an average 56mph for about 200 miles last weekend. Thats the best mpg Ive seen on mine.

Scirocco GT 210

Quote: Originally posted by Jay@auto-mods on 08 April 2005

99.9 lol thats not real surly
The photo is real, but obviously thats not from everyday driving, I cheated. Reseted it, put car into 5th and rolled down a hill - 99.9mpg :oops:

So does the trip computer tell you how many mile you can drive for before you run out of fuel?

@ 30 MPG can someone work out what that cost per mile of driving? Work pay me 25p per mile. Would i be covering costs?

Thanks

yep^^ but when it says -----(time to fill up) i can only fit 40litres in when it should be 50litres i drove like an old biddy and managed 38mpg and done about 330miles i think i could of got 380miles easily