ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mpg on motorways for 172

Im going on a camping holiday to the scotish highlands in a few weeks.

One of my mates wants me to take the dci clio but i want to take the 172 instead. His main argument is mpg. so my question iswhat will the 172 do on the motorway? i know the dci is good as ive driven it down to cornwall and soctland before but i want to know how much i can get out of a tank on the motorway and fast A roads?

Is 350 miles reasonable?

VaVa

Did a 400 mile round trip (Burton On Trent to Whitley Bay) on a full tank. And that included doing 80-85 most of the way back. 42 Mpg average for the whole trip. Brilliant really.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Yeah, just dont floor it...ever. I managed a 350mile round trip doing less than 90 the whole way in my 1.4, and youve got longer gears on the 172, so IT wont be pulling as many revs. It was showing 35-38

Did Cardiff- Porthcawl with my dad in his jag, doing 65, getting 17mpg all the way YEAH!

[Edited by S2 PTH on 30 July 2004 at 1:15pm]

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 30 July 2004

Quote: Originally posted by chris_leic172 on 30 July 2004

Went from Leicester to Cornwall, steady 70mph all the way, way getting 47mpg in my 172.
47mpg? my trip states that i do 36ish all the time

lol, do you ever reset it?

Ziel Nurburgring

As above really, 250 miles getting 44mpg at 80-85. Lads at work didnt believe me till i showed them.

highly tuned 2L getting that sort of mpg, even when hammered returning 30+ mpg has to be the best on the road

Quote: Originally posted by admob on 30 July 2004

40+ mpg average all the time no matter how fast i go!! BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!
Same to you too ad! You really have to reset it every time you slow down from say 70- 30 and then go back to 70 again because its not clever enough to know that british motorists hardly ever get to maintain a steady speed!

always get at least 30mpg. i usually only do short trips and with the odd bit of spirited driving always get over 300 for a tank

cheers.... not got a problem taking the dci but the roads up there in scotland call for the 172. sod fuel economy anyway, its a holiday.

I think I will take it easy until i get on the B roads and then scare the gobby mate to death .... hes a 1.2 8v punto driver so he wont expect this kinda performance anyway

182, GTR, C63

I can get mine under 30mpg on country lanes at the weekend and thats trying. I think its amazing at over 40mpg when you drive like a grandad. Even better still with superunleaded!! Its not about the fuel consumption really though is it?

BAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...... screeeeechBAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR(stop fill up) BAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRR

(i do not condone speeding in petrol stations by the way even though it looks cool)

Mercedes SLK350

Did a 300 mile round trip in my old 172 (2002 model) and the computer was showing 48.5 miles to the gallon. It was like Driving Miss Daisy, but I was in no rush.

I picked my new 182 last Saturdayand it had 40 miles on the clock at an economy rate of 19.9 to the gallon! But since I picked it up Ive managed to get it up to 38 mpg and thats with the occasional 4-5k burst... Someone must have really been giving my new toy some stick... file:///C:/Program%20Files/My%20documents/a31.gif">

182, GTR, C63

Quote: Originally posted by Noblelima on 30 July 2004

I picked my new 182 last Saturdayand it had 40 miles on the clock at an economy rate of 19.9 to the gallon! But since I picked it up Ive managed to get it up to 38 mpg and thats with the occasional 4-5k burst... Someone must have really been giving my new toy some stick... file:///C:/Program%20Files/My%20documents/a31.gif">
Poor car, I wouldnt be too bothered if i was you though. If you dont plan on keeping it more than 3 years id thrash it from new. It can increase bhp just decreases the longterm life off the engine.

[Edited by DoddCup on 30 July 2004 at 7:21pm]

Mercedes SLK350

Noblelima.....your mpg was that low because the engine was tight. My 182 was in the low 20s to start with, now its 37 around town.

Mine is normally around 30-35...upto 40+ when on motorways.....untill some arse is right up me Clios bumper and bam......foot down....have some of that for ya tea...oh my god Im at 100!

Should easily get 40+ on a long motorway run. Never quite sure how accurate the gauge is though, especially when the low petrol light comes on and the "miles left before you need to fill up" reading reverts to zero...

my 172 will be fully ladened down with camping equipment and 3 blokes so i cant imagine getting better than 30mpg through the highlands of scotland where i know my boot will be flat down most of the time!

My 172 was filled to bursing point on my trip to Cornwall, 2 adults and a 9 month old and lots of stuff but still managed 47mpg at a steady 70mph.

its the steady 70mph which i might not manage. plus once in the highlands it will be alot of stop starting. cant wait. the 172/182 seem to be a good blend of perfomance and economy.

i win.

manchester to northampton (admittedly at 55-65 mph) i got 54mpg. on the way up i hit around late 40s doing a more normal speed.

I done Manchester to Northampton at the end of June and avg about 37mph but that was doing 70-80 most of the time with the odd blat on the new by-pass

i was driving to london over day and i know this is goint to be hard to beleave but i reset the clock when i hit the a12 i was getting 46-53mpg all the way their. i put cruise control on and that was making it so much better than me using pedal. i was in 5th doing about 70-80mph. the car had done about 1000 miles when i had done that trip as well.