ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MPG.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
What would the average MPG be for a 1.4 Clio Alize, and then the same for a 2.0 172?

Want to see how much more expensive it's gonna be to run.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
I'm in a 1.4 Alize at the minute, and I'm toying with the idea of getting a 172 PH1 when my insurance renews in April.

Will it be THAT much of a change in how much I spent on petrol?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Initially yes as you will drive it like you stole it, maybe. It won't be that significant mate no

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Insurance will probably jump up a little bit, but you just gotta bite the bullet I guess.

Need to find a 172 during March/April.

Your car that you've just sold was beautiful mate.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Cheers mate. My only advice is take your time looking. This site is great for info. How much you looking at spending?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
Cheers mate. My only advice is take your time looking. This site is great for info. How much you looking at spending?
I'm looking to spend around 1200-1400? I know it won't be that great with that price range, but a few members have said it's "do-able" to find one for that.

Just steer clear of 200's if you want more than 25MPG lol
If it ever came to anything less than 25MPG, I'd probably take up walking!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Speaking from experience, no.

I went from a 1.2 8v Clio to a 2.0 16v variant and other than the first three months of driving, I didn't really notice spending a lot more £££ on petrol.

The z4 out performs the 200 too, by quite a margin.. so yeah, mk2 ph1 and you're laughing.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you sit at 90mph on the motorway in both I would wager the 172 is probably better on fuel, especially the ph1 with its taller diff.
For around town stuff the smaller engine will win.

Not a lot in it though, 172 are actually great cars economy wise.

GW Stage 2 R26
Won't be much in it I wouldn't if thought.. I found the mpg on quick cars I've owned gets worse the longer I have them. As I get used to the performance/grip limits and push them more towards there limits.

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Speaking from experience, no.

I went from a 1.2 8v Clio to a 2.0 16v variant and other than the first three months of driving, I didn't really notice spending a lot more £££ on petrol.

The z4 out performs the 200 too, by quite a margin.. so yeah, mk2 ph1 and you're laughing.

Are you kidding?! ive got a 1.2 8v and if you didnt notice much of a different im definitely going to have to upgrade my car :')

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Just remember MPG isn't the only increase in running costs you are going to see. Servicing is likely to cost more, as are brakes, tyres, Tax, Insurance etc etc.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Are you kidding?! ive got a 1.2 8v and if you didnt notice much of a different im definitely going to have to upgrade my car :')

Not in the slightest, if you can resist the urge to plant your foot (believe me, it's genuinely difficult) then you'll not see a lot of difference.

My 1.2 was probably more frugal when it came to sitting in traffic, but the 2.0 for general driving was just as good and on the motorways, better.

Think of it like this, to drive around your general suburban area, you'll probably use 100% throttle in the 1.2 for quite a large percentage of the journey, in the 2.0 to achieve the same pace you'll be looking at about 30% throttle. So 30% load on a bigger engine is never going to be that different to 100% load on a smaller one.

On the motorway I'd be quite a way up the rev range in the 1.2 and due to the longer gearing, much lower in the revs for the same speed in the 2.0

Hope that helps.

Just remember MPG isn't the only increase in running costs you are going to see. Servicing is likely to cost more, as are brakes, tyres, Tax, Insurance etc etc.

I had to play devils advocate here, but brakes and tyres (if it's a ph1) will be about the same, tyres will be more on a ph2 due to being 16". Tax and insurance, sure, but that's inevitable.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
My r27 is 4mpg worse than my old 1.4 day to day (far, far worse on the motorway though)

that said I have grown up since I bought this so I don't drive it quickly often.

its not that hard to resist planting your foot tbh lol

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator

No doubt about it. I've got a couple of mechanics who are able to sell me parts at trade, so that isn't too much of a problem.
Insurance is going to be the main killer to be honest, depends what Brentacre can do for me.
Tax, what am I looking at? I pay £170 a year at the minute on the 1.4 Alize.

Last edited:
  Renault Clio MK4 RS
Not in the slightest, if you can resist the urge to plant your foot (believe me, it's genuinely difficult) then you'll not see a lot of difference.

My 1.2 was probably more frugal when it came to sitting in traffic, but the 2.0 for general driving was just as good and on the motorways, better.

Think of it like this, to drive around your general suburban area, you'll probably use 100% throttle in the 1.2 for quite a large percentage of the journey, in the 2.0 to achieve the same pace you'll be looking at about 30% throttle. So 30% load on a bigger engine is never going to be that different to 100% load on a smaller one.

On the motorway I'd be quite a way up the rev range in the 1.2 and due to the longer gearing, much lower in the revs for the same speed in the 2.0

Hope that helps.

Suppose you are right about that. I already have 16" renaultsport alloys on my clio 1.2 so i already suffer from paying for wheels to fit 16" alloys. And yeah servicing is going to cost more overall but the way this clio is going with it being in garage at the moment due to a massive electical fail on it ill be spending more on this than a sport!

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator

No doubt about it. I've got a couple of mechanics who are able to sell me parts at trade, so that isn't too much of a problem.
Insurance is going to be the main killer to be honest, depends what Brentacre can do for me.
Tax, what am I looking at? I pay £170 a year at the minute on the 1.4 Alize.

Alfa GT Cloverleaf
i have a 182 and down the motorway I manage to get mid 40s.
My average is about 38/29MPG and thats mostly motorway driving during the week and then town driving at the weekend / weeknights.
£50 of v power will get me around 300 - 350 miles. I would of thought you get similar to that in your 1.4?

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
i have a 182 and down the motorway I manage to get mid 40s.
My average is about 38/29MPG and thats mostly motorway driving during the week and then town driving at the weekend / weeknights.
£50 of v power will get me around 300 - 350 miles. I would of thought you get similar to that in your 1.4?

Cost me £200 to do 850 miles of motorway driving. (London > Scotland and back)..

2 tanks (£50) each way.
Might have had a little spare at the end.

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
looks like on the motorway you would benefit from a sport
smiley1.gif

Exactly what I wanted to hear!

If my garage wasn't so full of s**t, I would have bought one soon, because for my price range I won't be getting anything great, and it'd give me time to work on it, until April.