ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mr Site

"Navy" N17 TWO
Has anyone used this to build themselves a website for their photos? :)

How easy is it to create, manage and is it expensive?

Trev

"Navy" N17 TWO
That looks decent :)

Seen a good few on Clikpic as well but I think there's a limit on how many photos you can load

If you're wanting a site where you can upload full-resolution photos and have clients login to buy them or whatever - you'll struggle with wordpress to be honest

It's a blogging package at heart and while there are a plethora of plugins to twist it into other things - it'll only twist so far before it breaks

"Navy" N17 TWO
Looking something simple, clean and easy to use with the possibility of adding a client page, and maybe a testimonial page sometime :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Strangely enough James, it was YOUR site that gave me lots of inspiration to get my own up and running :approve:

It's freakin awesome!

"Navy" N17 TWO
No worries - looks better than a site I've seen a mate got ripped off for (was about £500) and exactly what I had in mind.

With Wordpress, it just a case of selecting a theme and putting your own text/photos into it and submitting it then? :)

"Navy" N17 TWO
All I need then is a host then yeah?

Dreamhost reasonable?

I'm a COMPLETE nooB to creating websites lol :eek:

"Navy" N17 TWO
That's complete jargon to me lol :eek:

Is Clikpic easily as good as their site offers hosting too. Just a thought

"Navy" N17 TWO
So to get myself "online" I need to

Register a Domain
Sign up for hosting (with streamline.net for example would you go Starter or Personal? :S)
Install Wordpress and a theme
Upload to my site
Fill in my content

Am I on the right lines? :)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
We use Wordpress for the blog (http://www.lowlifeuk.com/) and it is bloody brilliant. But personally for you, I think Tumblr would be perfect.

Mainly because it's easy and free. Yes, Wordpress itself is free but you need hosting etc and it does get complicated. It is worth it if you want to look more professional, though.

EDIT: Just read your requirements, so yeah Wordpress it is. Ignore my bably.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I can't edit the welcome page as all the text is running into itsellf instead of being spaced out like intended.
Would that be something to do with the theme?

Are there any tricks to getting a decent font? :)

2.2 bar shed.
Not wanting to hijack your thread, but I'll give it a go ;)

http://sampegler.wordpress.com/

Just started one too, been meaning to do it to keep track of everything. Simple as can be right now, need a portfolio page and a way to cut everything down so its alot more minimalist?

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nice page Sam :)

Getting the jist of mine now, anyone know how the hell can I get photos up in Lightbox or something similar on it?

Thanks in advance

Nice page Sam :)

Getting the jist of mine now, anyone know how the hell can I get photos up in Lightbox or something similar on it?

Thanks in advance

Just a suggestion, rather than having your portfolio as a page and you edit it, have it as a news category and add posts into that (if you have any themeing questions fire away and i should be able to help).
You may have to add some code to make it work how you want, but it would be much better suited, check out http://www.matthew-evans.info - this is in wordpress theme by myself! (It's not finished yet [still! :(])

"Navy" N17 TWO
That is cool :)

Got to be a better way of uploading & displaying photos than I have on mine at the moment

"Navy" N17 TWO
Little update - I'm easily annoyed if things don't fecking work! lol

When I try to fill out a "Contact Form" all is well until you click preview page, or update. Page turns out blank!
Image upload is p*ssing me right off too, and to top it all off just figured out you can't install Plug-ins with wordpress.com - has to be wordpress.org :S

Even if I buy the domain, I'm still limited on wordpress.com as to what features I can customise....right?

Building/repairing PCs when I was 14 was MUCH easier than this :eek:

"Navy" N17 TWO
This is worse than learning Photoshop FFS
I have been looking about online, reading up on what people think of web builders.

Apparently Mr Site is sh*t, wordpress would be great if I could get a decent way of displaying pics and the contact form actually worked!

I'm glad I didnt buy the domain through wordpress as I don't think it's my cup of tea just yet.
At the moment my own site looks nothing better than a presentation in Powerpoint IMO (in fact I've seen better) It just needs an extra "kick" with a cool gallery or something.

Going to have a look at Tumblr see how I get on

Just to throw another spanner in the works.....
Is Webplus x4 good does anyone know?

2.2 bar shed.
f**k tumblr. Unless your some scene fag and I havnt figured it out yet? Only problem ive got is getting out to take pictures. Fkin' lazy :(

"Navy" N17 TWO
Just had a look at Tumblr - you're right f**k that!

So...do I go for domain now via wordpress.COM or go with the likes of streamline.net (who said on the phone they can help with wordpress.ORG)

"Navy" N17 TWO
Oops - went ahead with Webplus x5 - £80 for the software and a years hosting on my own domain

I really shouldn't make decisions when I'm at my wits end, it got the better of me :eek: