ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MR2 2ZZ issues selecting gears.

So the issues have started already ?

Posted this on MR2OC but no hits, and I know you lot are a knowledgeable bunch.

Having real problems up shifting into 5th and down shifting into 4th with extended spirited driving.

Gears are fine when the car is cold and warming up, but after 5-10 minutes 4th and 5th get stiffer and stiffer until they really struggle to engage. Its seems the across motion is the issue. No issues moving into gears by hand in the engine bay so dont think it's the box itself.

Linkages had bearing bushes fitted, I then changed to solid brass bushes but still the same issue.

I presuming the linkages and or cables are expanding causing the issue?

The engine bay gets very, very hot and the linkages are just above the manifold.

Thoughts?

Seems quite common with the 2ZZ Lotus Exige as well due to heat and expansion/stretching of the cables and linkages.

Weather is cooling down a bit this week so I'll get some heatproof sleaving for the cables, exhaust wrap for the manifold and hopefully this will help.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
My old Exige had up rated cables but , Know some people just wrapped them in heat tape to stop them sticking.
Also check your dogbone mount they can go soft and cause gear issues.