ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mrs Had An Accident In My Car

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Going over an island, guy comes shooting out from junction in front of her, she didn't stand a chance went straight into the the side of him, caved the side of his car in and done some damage to the front nearside corner of my car, few q's.. Clear cut case his fault? If she puts a claim in will it effect her insurance? I'm assuming I'll also need to inform my insurer? Will it effect my insurance?

Megane Mk4
If he's crossed a junction when he should've stopped and she had right of way then it's his blame, no one else's. Hope no one was injured.

I presume you mean she's using her insurance to drive your car?

In which case, she needs to contact her insurance company and it will effect her no-claims but not yours.

Simple matter of who failed to give way? So did he cone from her right or left?

Is she insured in your car on your policy? Or driving on third party cover from her policy?

If she's just using a normal domestic policy to cover herself driving your car surely it will just be third party cover? Either way sorry to hear about that, hope everyone was okay! Nothing is ever clear cut with insurance companies in my experience but yes aslong as it was his right of way and he can't say she was going way over the speed limit then should be okay :)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Simple matter of who failed to give way? So did he cone from her right or left?

Is she insured in your car on your policy? Or driving on third party cover from her policy?

damage to the N/S of his car would suggest the left hand side of the car took the hit?

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Yeah it was her right of way, he came out from the left in front of her, she has fully comp insurance on her own car which states on the policy she is covered to drive other cars, she simply took mine because it was on the drive behind hers, I guess it will be 3rd party cover but shouldn't be an issue as he is the one at fault. Do I need to inform my insurer?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Yes if liability is not an issue (ie it's not your fault) then it doesn't actually make a difference if you are insured or not

I would make your insurance company aware if liability hasn't been admitted yet, just in case it all goes belly up at a later date

If it was on her insurance then you don't need to inform your insurance but she needs to inform hers because if his insurance come after her then the claim will be against the third party Driving other car extension on her policy

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Not questioning who is right and wrong here, but did they bring out the legislation that for 3rd party cover (driving other vehicles) to apply the vehicle itself has to be fully insured by someone (possibly the owner only?)

This was brought in to stop people insuring a 1.1 ford fiesta fully comp then registering a BMW m3 in someone else's name and driving that 3rd party only hence super cheap insurance

For that reason alone I would still inform my insurance company of the ongoing claim

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf
Update.. my car went in for repair, the 3rd party's insurer gave the go ahead for the repairs on my car, which I'm assuming means they accepted liability? The car was repaired last week and is now back, I thought that was the end of it. Just had a call from them saying that the 3rd party is now saying that she drove into him, and they are disputing liability, can they do this after they have already authorised payment for repairs to my car?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
This is why I don't let my missus drive my car lol.

Bit of a shitter mate hopefully it all comes out in the wash.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
This was brought in to stop people insuring a 1.1 ford fiesta fully comp then registering a BMW m3 in someone else's name and driving that 3rd party only hence super cheap insurance

Whereas now people just buy & insure a 1.1 fiesta, get their mum to 'own/insure' the M3 (for cheap) and then drive it under their fiesta's 3rd party cover ...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Update.. my car went in for repair, the 3rd party's insurer gave the go ahead for the repairs on my car, which I'm assuming means they accepted liability? The car was repaired last week and is now back, I thought that was the end of it. Just had a call from them saying that the 3rd party is now saying that she drove into him, and they are disputing liability, can they do this after they have already authorised payment for repairs to my car?

If they authorised the repairs it's their fault. They wouldn't authorise the repairs without someone at the insurance company accepting liability.

I'm guessing the other driver is now putting pressure on his own insurance company saying it's not his fault where his insurance is happy it is.