ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MS Licensing

Hi,

I believe some of you work in IT sales and am after some direction on Windows Server licensing.

I have a 2000 domain in which I want to add another secondary DC so am looking at Windows Server 2000. I have been informed that if I buy a 2003 license I can downgrade to 2000 but nowhere has any media kits. Are these still available or what alternatives are there?

We are also an academic establishment so are looking for academic prices.

Thanks

Why don't you just install a 2003 Server? It runs perfectly fine alongside a 2000 server.

You do get downgrade rights tho on licensing (MOLP), but there's not much point in this case.

Astra CDTI SRI
Why don't you just install a 2003 Server? It runs perfectly fine alongside a 2000 server.

You do get downgrade rights tho on licensing (MOLP), but there's not much point in this case.

Wot he said.^^

cock mobile.
If you really want 2000 you should be able to download it via the MS Licensing site once you have registered etc etc.

yup you can download it from there as i just found out as i just got my e-mail from them saying my vlk's are ready

dk

911 GTS Cab
i believe you can only download it if you are on one of the subscription licensing schemes to the best of my knowledge. Like an enterprise agreement etc.

I will ask at work tomorrow how you go about using the downgrade rights to get win2k media.

As an education establishment you pay peanuts for the license too, something ridiculous like £50.

thinking about it though, if yuo already have win2k servers you should already have a media kit and IIRC the win2k WWF media can be installed using the same key as you have, as long as you have the license you will be fine using the old media kit if you still have it.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately coming into the company that has previously been outsourced finding any media is pretty dificult although I may have a copy knocking about - so as long as I have a license this is ok? If I can download it though even better.

As for just sticking a Win2k3 box in, I was led to believe this wouldn't function correctly as a secondary DC when the primary DC in the domain is a 2k box - is this not the case?

Cheers