ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MSA Track Limits

In case some of you don't know - the MSA has changed the rules this year on what is acceptable in terms of running wide. Previous to 2014, if you kept one wheel in contact with the track (or kerb) you were fine. From this year, you must keep them all in contact! You're allowed to use the white line at the edge of the track, or kerbs where there are kerbs, but not allowed any tyre completely over.

In light of this, here are a couple of videos showing action we'll never be able to see again. One from me (XR2) and one from a friend (Nova/Saxo).

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lotus Elise
Will be interesting what happen with BTCC the MSA needs them to abide otherwise it won't work. Iirc

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Yeah I can see this being a nightmare...

Combe for instance no longer can you take the fastest line through quarry for example..

Two 0 Shitx
Bit of a shitter as for a racer its just so natural to use as much as you can! Think where they go over the pitlane exit at donnington was wrong so i agree with it that way.

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
F1 and other high end motorsport has been ruined by strict rules in my opinion. Lets hope it doesnt go as far as killing clubman and lesser type motorsport.

WRX
Read somewhere that BTCC are looking at running to FIA rules, haven't looked at the differences.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Is that SaxMax in the second vid? That and StockHatch look absolutely brutal...worse than BTCC and Clio Cup for contact lol! All that mixed in with some mental rally style overtakes on the grass, looks awesome haha!

As for the new track limit rules, I don't agree with them personally, even on trackdays at some tracks there are so many lines that are totally dismissed as of when they came in!

You still are allowed to ride the kerbs, outside the white line, just not beyond the kerb, personally I think that's acceptable....however if no kerbs then must stay inside the white line.

Q14.4.2.b states that:
‘a driver will be judged to have left the track if any wheel of the car either goes beyond the outer
edge of any kerb or goes beyond the white line where there is no kerb’

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/track_limits.pdf

WRX
Watching Motors at Donington today, a few were stretching it. Would like to know what was said before and after.

Cup In bits
In actual fact the rules haven't changed a great deal other than at a lot of chicanes you'll have to be tidier. The rule has always been enforced but it will be a strict 3 strike policy enforced.

I have already had two black flags on TD's this year for it, they're enforcing it from top to bottom.

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
The guy in the second video thinks he is doing rallycross!! In his case it would probably make it safer for everyone else.

BTCC & Clio (Carnage) Cup sticking to this will be highly unlikely, remember BTCC is non contact and none of them appear to really care about that rule.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Blimey i'd be getting pulled in the clerks office every meeting now with my agricultural lines haha

aka

SNS1148A_-_10_04_2_1289531a.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Christ, that second video is insane in places, he must be running general grabber tyres!

TBH looking at that, its hard to argue against the new rules. Everyone needs to be doing the same length and layout of lap not making up their own track.

As the driver in video #2, I feel like I need to defend myself a little!

Please bear in mind that the video was a joke myself and Lt Columbo hatched as a very tongue-in-cheek way to say goodbye to a way of racing that the two of us have always known - the BTCC way like what we seen on't telly ;) Having seen all of those races from the driver's seat, I compiled the clips myself as a bit of fun - although I have quite enjoyed some of more serious points people have made about how the new rules can be policed, and what is considered fair and unfair.

Stock Hatch racing is tremendously competitive, which is why we love it. It stands to reason that drivers will overstep the mark at times - especially if there is little-to-no penalty for doing so, so the reward is far greater than the risk. What you can lack in grip by running wide at Donington, for example, is far outweighed by how much faster you were through the middle of the turn!

I can post links to the majority of my other videos if people would like, where I safely make it around the circuit - sometimes in 1st position - but even I know those videos are boring! :rasp:

The pass in the grass... yes that was a bit much, and I apologised to the other driver after the race. But I was starting 11th after breaking the gearbox in qualifying and having to change it. I was wet, cold, and desperate as it was the last meeting of the year and I was leading the championship. I won that race - I had to pass 10 cars to do it (including Lt Columbo!), and it wouldn't have happened if I didn't make THAT pass on the first lap. Would I do it again? More than likely!

And if anyone would like a picture of my two Stock Hatch Championship-winning trophies, it can be arranged! :cool:

P.S - I'm don't mind what people say about my video, or my driving - I just want to give it some context for y'all :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As the driver in video #2, I feel like I need to defend myself a little!

Please bear in mind that the video was a joke myself and Lt Columbo hatched as a very tongue-in-cheek way to say goodbye to a way of racing that the two of us have always known - the BTCC way like what we seen on't telly ;) Having seen all of those races from the driver's seat, I compiled the clips myself as a bit of fun - although I have quite enjoyed some of more serious points people have made about how the new rules can be policed, and what is considered fair and unfair.

Stock Hatch racing is tremendously competitive, which is why we love it. It stands to reason that drivers will overstep the mark at times - especially if there is little-to-no penalty for doing so, so the reward is far greater than the risk. What you can lack in grip by running wide at Donington, for example, is far outweighed by how much faster you were through the middle of the turn!

I can post links to the majority of my other videos if people would like, where I safely make it around the circuit - sometimes in 1st position - but even I know those videos are boring! :rasp:

The pass in the grass... yes that was a bit much, and I apologised to the other driver after the race. But I was starting 11th after breaking the gearbox in qualifying and having to change it. I was wet, cold, and desperate as it was the last meeting of the year and I was leading the championship. I won that race - I had to pass 10 cars to do it (including Lt Columbo!), and it wouldn't have happened if I didn't make THAT pass on the first lap. Would I do it again? More than likely!

And if anyone would like a picture of my two Stock Hatch Championship-winning trophies, it can be arranged! :cool:

P.S - I'm don't mind what people say about my video, or my driving - I just want to give it some context for y'all :)

I dont think anyone was actually "hating" on you anyway, but still interesting to hear a bit more about the background like the seemingly insane grass over take, it makes a lot more sense in the context of a front running car being behing back markers and needing to get past them but as its not a lapping situation needing to do so without a blue flag to help them.