ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Multiple SkyHD boxes - connection to phone lines?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Chaps,

Not too sure which way to head with this. I've had a request to sort out connections for eight SkyHD boxes to the BT phone line, that they all seem to require?

One box is easy enough to sort - but exactly how could eight separate boxes be connected in the same property but in different rooms?

I'm assuming that it HAS to connect to the phone line in order for the Sky box itself to be happy that it's made a connection? By that, that role couldn't be completed by plugging a wireless adapter into the ethernet socket on the rear and getting it to sync back to Sky that way? There's wireless coverage through AP's throughout the property.

Any suggestions would be helpful chaps. :)

Cheers,
​D.

WRX
If it helps, they don't have to constantly be connected. Could you just install them and connect the aerial wires, then just use a phone extension lead to hook up to each box just for initial installation, if required.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If it helps, they don't have to constantly be connected. Could you just install them and connect the aerial wires, then just use a phone extension lead to hook up to each box just for initial installation, if required.

I was thinking that might be the most straight-forward method. Any idea how long in-between connections the Sky boxes can go for? If its several months, it's probably worth it. If its several days, maybe not. :)

Sky do a wireless adapter for their boxes so would assume so

Any links to those adapters m8?

Cheers,
​D.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Excellent m8 - thanks for the quick response.

I think given the relatively small price difference between the two - I think I'll suggest the genuine Sky units.

Cheers,
​D.

The wireless adaptors are for the box for on demand etc, I think they still require a phone line to phone sky and prove their location. You can probably get away with plugging them in for a day or so every month. If you leave it a few months you'll get a telling off.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Why are you connecting them to the phone line? Had a multi room box in my last house and once it was set up I never connected to a phone line again.

Audi S1
The wireless adaptors are for the box for on demand etc, I think they still require a phone line to phone sky and prove their location. You can probably get away with plugging them in for a day or so every month. If you leave it a few months you'll get a telling off.

This.

I've got 2 multiroom boxes of which are not connected to a phone line, never have in the whole 3-4 year I've been with Sky.

Sky's T&C's state that the second box has to be plugged in, so it can phone home and prove it is in the house it's supposed to be. Otherwise people would get multi room, transfer the box to another house, and share the bill. My dad left his unplugged for a few months and they sent him a letter saying he had to plug it in or they'd bill him a full sub for the second box. If you don't have multi room you're supposed to have it in for the first 12 months, but you can usually get away without it.

We were nearly charged for our 3 boxes at £70 a month. You might get away with it for a while, even a long while, but eventually they will get round to contacting you. It's up to you if you leave it until they chase you up about it. And I think it has to be a phone line, not an ethernet connection.

Ph2 Clio 172
It is part of Sky's T&C that an initial box is connected to a phone line for the first 12 months of a contract, and that additional multi room boxes remain connected. This is to check that the boxes are being used in the house they are meant to be used in, and that you haven't bought a bunch of multi room boxes and given them to your mates.

Its about checking where the boxes physically are.

We have multiroom a sky hd in the living room that's connected to the phone line a sky plus box in my bedroom not connected to a phone line (been in my room for 2 years now and it's never been connected the engineer told me it doesn't matter it's just if I want to use interactive services). Also a normal sky box in the attic not connected to a phone line. Had that about 6-7 years? Was connected for about 5 years then we swapped for the hd box.

Sky engineer confirmed to me they don't need a phone connection at all - it's only for box office orders if you don't have it connected to your internet.
I've had sky boxes including ones in spare rooms not connected to phone lines for 3 or 4 years - never an issue

Focus ST-3
I never used to have my multiroom box connected to the phone line and it would always be losing my subscription channels (sports etc), was a pain in the arse.

I have now had in connected for the last 9 months and not had a single problem. As far as i know sky want the multi room boxes connected to a phone line so they can check back where the box, or more importantly, the viewing card is. Otherwise what is to stop me paying the £10 for multiroom and giving my mate the card and having full sky at his house?

Other important points about your Multiroom Subscription

• Each Multiroom subscription you take out can only be viewed at the same Address as your first Sky digital subscription.
• The Box used to receive your first Sky digital subscription must always be connected to a fixed and operational telephone line while any Multiroom subscription is in place. All the Boxes used to receive your Multiroom subscription(s) must also be connected to this line and number and you must let us collect information through this line, including your telephone number (caller line identification or CLI).

Taken from http://www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions/tv/

​It's in there T&C's

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I wouldn't be taking a 'technicians' word for it. He just fits boxes.