ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Steam Issues - Can Cliosport solve this?

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
An issue that I've googled the hell out of, found multiple examples of people with the same problem (Some dating back to 2007!) and not 1 working solution at all. Can Cliosport sort what the rest of the internet couldn't?

I've installed Steam on a new PC build. I've purchased rFactor2, this was my first mistake... giving Steam my money. I already have an account with them I've had for years with a few games on there. I should've tried re-downloading/installing one of those first in hindsight.

The error that I get is really odd, and ONLY applicable to steam. The download will start, go up to some "Dizzying" speed of about 1meg (although recently, only 600k) and then slowly drop down and down. Not only does the connection for Steam die, but the entire connection on that PC and sometimes even the network itself. A couple of times it's completely knocked everyone in the house off the Net!

Capture.png

To fix the network, all I have to do is close steam. Then my computer (And, if its knocked everyone else off, their devices too) regain a lovely stable ~100meg download speed.

It's rather annoying, as I say I've paid for a game now, and it won't download. I've managed to create a slight work around. I've run some comand I was given online to completely clear steams cache, uninstalled what was downloaded of the game and started again. I still get the dropouts, but at least 50% of the time it's a steady 600-700kbps download. Which is still f**king pathetic, but at least a little bit more stable and it might actually download (one day).

TL;DR version:

Steam causes massive network drop for itself, the computer its on and sometimes even the whole network in the house WHEN DOWNLOADING A GAME.

Other download clients (Origin, BitTorrent etc) have been tried with absolutely no problem and pretty epic d/l speeds!

Computer/Network spec:

Intel Core i5
16gb Ram
120GB SSD/ 500GB HDD
Geforce 960
Asus Wireless N PCI-E card
Archer C7 Router
ISP: "Direct Save" (Uses IFNL Fibre to the property)

Solutions I've tried (that have worked for 1 or 2 people online):

Changing Security key from AES to TKIP
Tried 2 different routers, although I only paid decent money for mine recently so I'm not buying anything else.
Changing Wifi Adapters.
Changing various power settings relating to the Network adapters
Tried a Wired Ethernet connection
Tried Re-Installing Steam, the Game itself and various other components.
Changing download servers on steam and other options in the "Downloads" section.
Setting various Throttling limits (as you can see above) to downloads

So, can Cliosport go where the internet couldn't? Thanks for any tips in advance!

Contact Steam, you can get a refund if you haven't played it.

Then start by using your old account, and then go from there. It won't fix the download issue but multiple steam accounts? ballache to the max!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Contact Steam, you can get a refund if you haven't played it.

Then start by using your old account, and then go from there. It won't fix the download issue but multiple steam accounts? ballache to the max!

Eh? I am using my old account haha... But thanks, gunna try see if this will download tonight as it's only "1 hour and 30 mins" from completion, so it says! If it doesn't I'll get on that, is there a page or something where I can find the refunds section?

Out of curiosity is it a BT Hub 3 as your router?

No, as per my post its an TP Link Archer C7 and I'm with one of the IFNL providers. No phone line, just fibre here!

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What OS? I've seen issues like that with part open connections before, tends to only knock out one PC though not an entire network.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
What OS? I've seen issues like that with part open connections before, tends to only knock out one PC though not an entire network.
Windows 7 Pro, and it mostly only takes down the one computer at the moment. I haven't tried recently, but pretty sure Steam was working fine on my Macbook last time I used it (updates n'all).

rFactor has finally finished downloading, after 4 days. Now it's downloading a shed load of stuff from the workshop before I can play it... please kill me now.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Seems weird that the same issues occur when a cabled Ethernet is made. I'll use a fixed connection wherever and whenever I can - only using wireless when I have no other choice.

Does your router allows QoS policies? No-one has been dicking with that have they, and allowing Steam to have one-half of FA? While you're there - check to see if there are any firmware updates for it.

DCi
For me there is an issue with Steam if killing it resolves your problem.
Firstly, try your other account but that is still the same client so I don't think that will work.
Turn that throttle off for sure - I've never seen that before so maybe that is doing something bizarre.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
That to me is either the router (Try a hard reset) or the network provider triggering a throttle.