ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

mum is getting a new car... dimondbrite?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ok she is replacing her mrk3 mx5 with a mrk3 mx5... but the facelift... now the paint on her current one is TERRIBLE! it scratches so easy, i mean you brush past a bush and it leaves white scratches all over it (car is a blue metallic with a pearl on it, its weird!) and they wont polish out! i have had a rotary on it and they just wont go and you can feel them its that bad, the paint is stupidly soft mum complained and a salesman looked as it and brushed past and had a paper flyer in his hand and it scratched!

anyway she is getting a facelift one in black... now they have said they will stick dimondbrite on it... (sure i heard of this stuff a few years ago and seem to remember people saying its pointless?) they seem to think it will stop the car getting scratched lol and from what i can see it just "stops stuff sticking"

now they are charging over 200 for this and tbh i think she would be better off getting some decent glaze and wax etc?? and at the same time i will go halfs as i need some for the rex...

is the dimond brite anygood?? is it worth it?? oh they said that it doesnt come with the welcome pack and that is 190 extra!

so yes or no?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
no complete waste of money...

clay, polish, seal and wax it yourself, you'll save a fortune

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Flol!

Not only does it cost pennies to buy and apply it's no better than a good prep and durable wax! I had a big barny on DW about this stuff! It's ridiculous they get to sell it!

£250 a car and a 3 year guarantee. Tell me this, what old lady is going to realise the product is no longer working and phone the company up to complain?

2% maybe? Not bad going!

If you want protection from the elements, wash, dry, clay, polish, seal/wax.

If you want protection from chips, bumps and scratches, get it Paintshielded (thin plastic layer that peels off when it needs replacing).

Megane R26
As a product, it's actually pretty effective, and far more durable than most of the sealants out there.

The issue you have is the fact that they charge £500 (or whatever) for their 'expert application', when the actual product costs about £40! Then, their 'experts' don't prep the paint properly, so they are sealing in s**t (not literally!). A lot of Pro's offer this sort of protection, but with proper preparation work, for a lot less money. So it's worth getting, but not from dealer valet monkeys!

E87 118d M Sport
I must admit, I have to echo that. As an actual product it is good (I remember the thread on DW Gally) and durable, but as you say its the process of applying the protection and the regular maintenance that makes it last. Unfortunately the guys that dealers have to apply it are just valeting guys who use the products/equipment they are given. As Russ said, they will seal in any damage/containments/dirt etc that will be on the vehicle, and their wash techniques are far from... thorough or safe.
For the money they charge, it is a rip off (an application of diamondbrite (or whichever brand Ford use) costs less than £20 for a cars worth, and you are paying the extortionate garage labour rate to apply it.

Where are you based mate?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Lols! I was getting carried away in that thread until the guy who sold it to customers pretty much admitted he was robbing people.

I won't get involved in this one, Russ has explained it pretty well.

CLIO 197
I Think you get a bag of cleaning stuff with it too , also they do the upholstery too which might be a good idea if you have kids that drop stuff From past experience i have had it on two cars found the exterior treatment to be pointless spent most of my time trying to clean the marks of the plastic trim the interior one was ok though

Interior ones are a good idea IMO, as long as you find a product/provider that isn't go to bend you over for re-application.

The exterior is a joke due to the price. All these additives are a great idea, truly they are. Dad has a film on the front of his car, as well as the sides/rear arches since it is wide and low. However, you can see it, the company didn't correct the paint before hand etc etc. So why bother? For the cost, you can just get the offending stone chips resprayed each year/as necessary and avoid that "coated" look.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Is it any different to a £7 bottle of interior Scotchguard?

No.

Skoda Fabia vRS
unless they have made the paint system any harder the new car will be exactly the same

its not as bad stuff as people make out, though it is over priced, but it wont do ANYTHING to minimise scratches