ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MWM's New Project- Time to go VERY fast!

330i. E30 Touring.
I don't know anything about Cosworth engines so forgive me, but surely there's a better engine suited for the task?

Or is it just that you know them inside out etc, and it'll comfortably hold 350bhp all day long? Because that i could understand.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I don't know anything about Cosworth engines so forgive me, but surely there's a better engine suited for the task?

Or is it just that you know them inside out etc, and it'll comfortably hold 350bhp all day long? Because that i could understand.

You know what Ford boys are like Budge, no YB in their lives and they start to shake a little.

I was half expecting to open this thread to find a RWD, Cossie powered clio being built ...

The Westies ok though ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Its an engine very happy at that power level, awesome amount of scope for more power later on if wanted and its an engine that mike is extremely familiar with.
You could get the same power from a lighter engine ultimately so if all that mattered was purely lap times I'm sure there is a better engine but the YB is by no means a bad choice even if you were looking objectively which mike isn't cause he loves the YB.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Got the engine out today ready to flog. It's a Toyota 18R-G engine, apparently worth a couple of quid so I'm happy with that.

0F7CB27F-3B54-4A33-8372-E459E80C2683-3820-00000358B0084D07_zps995062f3.jpg

0ED6EE82-472B-4BCD-9137-C522F217E82C-3820-000003589DB0D285_zps07cbe686.jpg

9FCBD517-E8DC-4382-80B6-5A31B4C1C9CA-3820-000003595161C216_zps766cac72.jpg

542B121D-ACE4-4DD5-9BD2-1177453EDD18-3820-0000035955C2B8D5_zps3aacb000.jpg

That left me with just a rolling chassis so I can start doing all the wiring.

A5C50CA8-9D54-4A1E-92AA-CFA9E0C5412F-3879-00000361A42679FC_zps48d27937.jpg

I also decided to be a big kid and lay the bodywork out!

FBA4E642-ADC8-4843-8AAF-D3E33D2113CD-3879-00000361ECDE25CC_zps1ebf9dd9.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
FLOL @ that last picture! You look about 12, lol

That was a pretty engine that you are getting rid of, but it looks VERY laggy on those carbs ;)

330i. E30 Touring.
Its an engine very happy at that power level, awesome amount of scope for more power later on if wanted and its an engine that mike is extremely familiar with.
You could get the same power from a lighter engine ultimately so if all that mattered was purely lap times I'm sure there is a better engine but the YB is by no means a bad choice even if you were looking objectively which mike isn't cause he loves the YB.

Thought that would be the case. I'm not being negative or taking away anything as 350bhp in that is going to be pretty insane!

I'd go with something I knew well exactly the same.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Fair play. Love them and my mates building one at the moment. They only thing that scares me is it looks like the frame has been built from school desk off cuts. How do they actually fair a crash?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fair play. Love them and my mates building one at the moment. They only thing that scares me is it looks like the frame has been built from school desk off cuts. How do they actually fair a crash?

Very poorly:
http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2010/04/15/cancer-patient-killed-fulfilling-his-dream/

Mike will be adding a cage, but even still, its a potentially quite dangerous place to be, although at least on a track you are less likely to hit a tree or oncoming lorry etc, its just people going the same way as you and catch fences.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
they actually fair better in an impact than people think , caterham chassis are the same .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQIhXrrk1_E

(i am car 2 on the scene of that one )

and this one ........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FE_N7oIPvc

Race track crash barriers are designed to not hurt people too much and also thats a caged racer, so while its great the guy walked away (after getting knocked down by his own car, lol) it does nothing to convince me I want to hit a tree in a road going one!

As cars go, they are pretty dangerous.

You know you wanna bring that body work to us to paint it RS Green......screw wrapping.....it would be "rs greenish" when it could be "RS GREEEN!!"

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
You know you wanna bring that body work to us to paint it RS Green......screw wrapping.....it would be "rs greenish" when it could be "RS GREEEN!!"

How durable will the paint be. I'm worried about stone chips and the fact that the body's fibre glass and will flex etc.

Send me a quote by pm if you think the paint will be durable enough for the job!

SJM'd197'dBTM'd 182
Does it really matter? its still going to fly like sh*t off a shovel!

Nice of you to donate that engine Chip, at least it will get well used at its new home.

Good luck with the project Mike, certainly looks like it will be a good one.

How durable will the paint be. I'm worried about stone chips and the fact that the body's fibre glass and will flex etc.

Send me a quote by pm if you think the paint will be durable enough for the job!

Mine was sprayed mike .... yes they do chip on the rear arches but just fit carbon guards .... and I had the thin race bodywork that flexes like a bugger ...

Paint is way better than a wrap .... then have the pearl rs green

Mk1 MX-5 (x3), Westy
Looks like it's gonna be good when finished!

Have you signed up for the WSCC yet? Highly recommended if not, best £30 you will spend on the build. Lots of good advice on tap.

Another thing I learned very quickly with mine is that it's VERY worthwhile spending time getting all the controls set up so the car is comfortable to drive. It could be the best car in the world but if you can't drive it consistently and comfortably you won't enjoy it.

Hopefully see you on the Westfield forum - certainly wouldn't be a bad thing to copy your thread over there too.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do the westy forum all still moan about turbo westfields and say they are rubbish? I mapped a vauxhall turbo powered one and I remember that was the reception he got but that was a good few years ago now.

Do the westy forum all still moan about turbo westfields and say they are rubbish? I mapped a vauxhall turbo powered one and I remember that was the reception he got but that was a good few years ago now.

Turbo cars are ok ... westfield even make them from the factory now .... however 300bhp na is prefered ... supercharging works very well on duratecs ..... and I prefer n/a

172, Tiguan
Great project. Not sure on the old boat anchor engine choice, but it'll be a fascinating read.

WSCC was always a bit cliquey imo, but there is no doubting the knowledge. Dad used to do their sprint and hillclimb stuff as well.

Good luck with the SVA if you decide to go down that route. Always found that if you weren't buying new it was easier to buy one that was being rebuilt - even if the chassis was a few years old. So many people spend ££ on tat getting a new one through an SVA and then remove it all 5 mins after passing the test.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Turbo cars are ok ... westfield even make them from the factory now .... however 300bhp na is prefered ... supercharging works very well on duratecs ..... and I prefer n/a

Sadly 300bhp N/A means mega unreliable and not an option to drive it to the ring etc, becomes a trailer car at that point.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I need to put a lockable cover over it. I keep finding myself doing odd bits and bobs on it when I have a mountain of customer cars to do. One being the landlords.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Disagree .... lots of reliable 2.3 duratecs with 300 ....

Still not reliable in the way Mike would want for stuff like ring trips, although the duratecs certainly are making bigger numbers in "fast road" trim (ie not 2 ring slipper pistons etc) than the older XE engines manage.

53 Clio's & counting
Even mikes torn, he loves my sierra too, lol.

Im sure we will both know its the right decision once we are driving the westy though. Lol.

You do know its a cool project when this is just the donor car though!

CD01_65DT8158.jpg

Weston beach picture from when it was featured in fast ford if my memory serves me right?