ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MWM's New Project- Time to go VERY fast!

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
This is epic. Fair play doing a deal on that YB chip, at least you have the knowledge its going in something green and monstrous :)

Mike, if you need some ballast at any point, I'll sit in the passenger seat, I'll make sure I bring some spare pants.

On a more serious note, when you get a minute, can you flick me a PM with your recommendations on a forged build for mine (parts, prices etc). Muchos gracias.

Still not reliable in the way Mike would want for stuff like ring trips, although the duratecs certainly are making bigger numbers in "fast road" trim (ie not 2 ring slipper pistons etc) than the older XE engines manage.

Arp bolts decent head work ..lary cams pocket the pistons .... and the ring ... I drove to barcelona and back ..2 trackdays there then over to pau in france ....then home ....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Arp bolts decent head work ..lary cams pocket the pistons .... and the ring ... I drove to barcelona and back ..2 trackdays there then over to pau in france ....then home ....

Ok cool we'll agree to disagree on if a duratec at 300bhp lasts forever, although you said in porkies thread yours was only 225 anyway, but as this project isnt having one as Mike wants a cosworth and TBH doesnt care about other engines, there is not too much point going on about them really here, so better to start a seperate thread to discuss those if we are going to do so.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
I've been on the back step of a couple of people building 300bhp duratecs and to do it reliably is 15-20grands worth. They have big problems with the timing chain slipping. There is now a kit to convert them to belt.

I've just got a massive massive soft spot for the anti social boat anchor that is the Cosworth YB.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Started mocking up the panels today so all the drilling and cutting is done before Spray Shack start painting.

Can't believe that adding 2 panels makes it look so much more like a car.

0365ACEC-42D5-45BC-A3B1-13E93167C863-766-000000517649FC79_zps51c164e0.jpg

B42B6E1C-4F30-46F0-8C31-14CC0902A0EB-766-00000051883ABE03_zps701b05e6.jpg

7D2917B1-BD3A-4FBD-A005-7CD899E8A0D1-766-0000005199E4D3B6_zpse966fb59.jpg

Thats how I did mine but its odd on the rear o/s as if you measure it it wont match the right ..... loads of threads on wscc about it

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Had a bit of a pay this weekend and got the brakes and clutch master sorted.

I've started putting the body panels on so all the drilling and cutting is done before the paint job is done.

adyzeveg.jpg

vy3a6a9a.jpg

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
No doubt this is going to be an epic build. I remember chips cossie from back in the day so that lumps rapid to say least.

I love westies and caterhams light weight and engineering you can actually appreciate.

Saw lovely westie at Goodwood yesterday with a gsxr130 up front, but yours will be stunning with the yb!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im holding it up at the moment as Ive not pulled the sierra donor apart yet, waiting for some building work to be finished before I can re-organise all the cars and pull it apart.

Plus mikes silly busy with work at the moment I know.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
what you doing with the Sieera shell etc chip? Keeping it for future or parting it out and selling?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
what you doing with the Sieera shell etc chip? Keeping it for future or parting it out and selling?

Breaking it mate.
Had it over ten years now and just don't really have a use for it anymore.
Shame as its a cool car. But worth more in parts.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Breaking it mate.
Had it over ten years now and just don't really have a use for it anymore.
Shame as its a cool car. But worth more in parts.

Yeah looks great.. Bit of a shame but needs a must etc!

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
Long overdue but here we go!

Got round to Chips at the weekend and removed the heart from his Serria and I think a little of his own heart too.

I wasted no time getting to work.

The engine and box are a tight fit but it looks quite easy to modify the chassis to get it perfect. It literally needs a small notch to clear the starter motor mounting on the bell housing and a slight mod to allow the inlet to fit. Looks less than an hours work. :)

Only issue I've found so far that's going to take a bit of technical thinking is the steering bar runs right through the alternator so I need to run a different one, possibly on the other side of the engine.

Also the 2wd exhaust manifold is far too big to fit in so I need to source a 4wd one as the are much more compact and still capable of flowing 400bhp.

pyrasuta.jpg

dusatega.jpg

9aryqery.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But water pump will still be in same place. Although you would need to add an extra tensioner if alternator was on the outer grove I guess.

Ph1 172 & Clio DCi
But water pump will still be in same place. Although you would need to add an extra tensioner if alternator was on the outer grove I guess.

I could even space the water pump pulley out a bit so it too can run on the outer grove. Saves weight and the need for another tensioner then. :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I think I've been browsing with my eyes closed! Awesome stuff, and great to have chips engine. As much as he wants it back, if he sold the car as a whole he may never see it again, selling the engine to you means he at least gets to swear it at whilst he's trying to figure out some manner of mapping problem in 4 months time.