ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mx5 suspension?

Renault Clio 182
I have noticed a fair few people on here have mx5's wondering what suspension set up people have been going for?

Reason being I have a mk1 mk5 it sits very high in the arches want to put a decent setup on there without making it to low of to harsh, the factory suspension is pretty harsh anyway but dont want any bone shattering suspension?

seen loads of kits available any recomendations?

Any help appreciated cheers

CBR1K, F21 125D
Meister R are a good alround kit, for UK for average money.

Once fitted, make sure you coat them in ACF50 or similar.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Whatever you do dont fit those cheap £185/£200 kits thats about or your back will be in bits,i bought a new set last year i removed them a few days later,good for track cars but not for the road
I used eibach 40mm lowering springs and a set of bilstein shocks these give a brilliant comfortable ride and good round the twisties

Renault Clio 182
What is the mk2.5 Bilstein setup? Money wise the car will be kept so I dont mind spending out on a good setup

Easym5 suggestion is what alot have people have advised?

Regarding the cheap kits imo pointless and you may aswell chuck money away

Listerine & Poledo
Mk2.5 Bilstein set-up is exactly that. Bilstein shocks & springs on a Mk2 :)
Pretty sure there are Mk.1 bilsteins too

Alternatively, if you're looking to go OMG!!!11Tokyo Drift low, then the TEIN coilovers are supposed to be really good.

In fairness, whatever you do to lower it, you should consider looking to stiffen the body up as well.

Listerine & Poledo
chassis-rail stiffening (with butterfly brace if you really want to do things properly)
tower braces
A-pillar braces.
ARB's

Anything to make it more rigid than a wet paper towel

First things first though, how are your sills and arches looking? Rusty sills = MOT fail

Renault Clio 182
My uncle owns a sparay shop so its just been restored in monza green (think its british racing green), suspension wise this isn't a track toy ect it just sits crazy high in the arches, but if im going to do it I may aswell do it properly?

Listerine & Poledo
That's a good start.

When you say "crazy high", are you comparing it to a normal MX-5 or the Stance/lows/plows you see on Forums? If so, you definitely wont like the ride of that.

A fresh set of OEM dampers with Eibach springs will probably be your best bet in £-per-inch. EasyM5 had the right idea.

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Hi dont use second hand OEM shocks as they only last five mins been there done that lol

Last edited:

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Mazdaspeed shocks it you can find them..

Then just join me in choosing appropriate matching springs..

Listerine & Poledo
We need contacts in US breakers, they'll have all the Mazdaspeed stuff we need.

And overnight it.

Renault Clio 182
The standard suspension look's shot any way, but I may still go down the route of Bilsteins shocks and eibach spring's it need's a few little bits doing here and there but have so many other 'small jobs' I have taken on its getting the time I guess, exhaust ect but atleast she is straight and rust free