ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1.2 0-60-0 times

Breaking A 172 Replica
Hello guys,

After receiving my Gtech Performance Pro Meter this morning from Browno (excellent seller btw) I though it would be shame not to test those 75 horses under the bonnet.

So I went and found myself a recently retarmaced (sp) road, about a kilometre long and completely straight.

I did 10 0-60-0 runs and for the 0-60 it brought back the following results:

1. 11.25
  2. 12.56
  3. 11.12
  4. 9.97
  5. 10.65
  6. 9.75
  7. 10.24
  8. 10.21
  9. 9.88
  10. 11.36
As for the 60-0 distance it was showing up as anywhere between 115-129 feet.

The only mod I have done is a K + N induction kit. I have also stripped the back out (not the seatbelts though), taken out spare tyre and tools and taken all luggage out. I was the only person in the car.

I was very pleased with the results, especially as magazines quote 0-60 times of 12.6-14 seconds.

Just to confirm with the experts among you am I best revving to 4k rpm before dropping clutch?

And I was changing at 5.75k rpm in 1st and then just before 6k rpm from 2nd to third, is this correct?

Cheers

Sam

I was very pleased with the results, especially as magazines quote 0-60 times of 12.6-14 seconds.

Just to confirm with the experts among you am I best revving to 4k rpm before dropping clutch?

And I was changing at 5.75k rpm in 1st and then just before 6k rpm from 2nd to third, is this correct?

You need a rr test realy to see where the cars power is being made before knowing ideal shift points but I'd think you should be chnaging up at 6k in 1st then lower the shift chnage as the gearing gets higher to maximise your power.

browno

ClioSport Club Member
Looking good there Sam - Can't argue with under 10 secs to 60, I expect that being well used to the car, having it stripped and minimising wheelspin will all combine to help your times - runs 4-9 look pretty good and consistent too.

Thanks for the comments, and hope you enjoy the G-Tech!

Cheers,

Gaz

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Presuming you have good brakes, you're saying you can do 0-60 in anything as low as 8 seconds in a 1.2 ???

What have you done to it ?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
a g-tech said my old 172 did 0-60 in 5.2secs over 3 runs...

they're only slighly more accurate than a LAD rolling road.

not knocking your figs, just giving you some perspective

Breaking A 172 Replica
Ok I will get a mate to time it as well over 10 more runs.

I must stress the road is very very flat and straight.

Cliokhunt please rephrase.

I am struggling to understand where this good brakes thing came from?

Sam

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
thats cool mate, i knew my car was faster to 60 than the stated times, yours will probably be faster than mine as it is stripped but even so im happy!

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP
When is it best to change gear for a standard 172? i do 5k on first gear, 6k on 2nd about 4.5k around 3rd then on 4th i dont go any faster lol LONDON TRAFFIC FOR U!!!

When is it best to change gear for a standard 172? i do 5k on first gear, 6k on 2nd about 4.5k around 3rd then on 4th i dont go any faster lol LONDON TRAFFIC FOR U!!!

almost the redline in first then dropping down the revs to keep the maximum power band you go more over max in first as when you chnage up revs down drop as far so adverage power is higher

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ok I will get a mate to time it as well over 10 more runs.

I must stress the road is very very flat and straight.

Cliokhunt please rephrase.

I am struggling to understand where this good brakes thing came from?

Sam

Well typically, it would take 2-3 seconds to do 60-0 in a small car with fair brakes, which is what I'd class the Clio. So take 2-3 seconds off your times, factor in maybe a split second of reaction time to go from the gas to the brake, unless you used your left foot, which leaves just about 8 seconds for 60...

Is it actually that quick ??

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^^ i think the times put up were just 0-60mph, and not 0-60-0 mate

EK4 SIR CIVIC 185 BHP

almost the redline in first then dropping down the revs to keep the maximum power band you go more over max in first as when you chnage up revs down drop as far so adverage power is higher

Whats chances this f***s my engine up? red line is so scary i never touched it before lol red danger zone :p

RS Clio 200

Whats chances this f**ks my engine up? red line is so scary i never touched it before lol red danger zone :p

The occassional red line bounce wont kill ya

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Whats chances this f**ks my engine up? red line is so scary i never touched it before lol red danger zone :p

Well.... The engine cuts power before it does any damage (rev limiter)... Just don't sit on it for ages.

the more you practice , the quicker you'll be , try a couple of runs with changing gears at different revs to try and find your best gear change ......if you know what i mean

Nothing to worry about red lines desinged to protect ideal you don't want to slam into it but change before ignition cut to stop shocking the engine mounts etc but its no problem.

Breaking A 172 Replica
I see where you were coming from cliokhunt, but as someone said, the times posted weren't including the braking times. I see how the title may have misled.

As for the braking side of things, how does that distance sound? I know there is perhaps more variables with the braking distance but it was dry, resurfaced recently, straight and I just glued my foot to the floor.

Sam

hi there buddy they are very good times mate i have a gtec as well only done one run he he as my brother nicked it after that but got 7.3 i understand the gtech to be very acurate mate so good going ..i too am going to have a play and see where the bests points are to change gear get some more results up when you can cheers buddy

Breaking A 172 Replica
Clidge, do you have a 1*2 yeah?

How high up do you have the gtech mounted on the screen?

Cheers

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
Have done a few more today:

-8.79!!!

Couldn't believe the 8.79 one!

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
lol, well we have had many discussions about this gear changing...

I think we have concluded about 6100rpm in first and 5950 in 2nd.

I rev to about 4500 before I drop the clutch to start the run.

Having said that the 8.79 run was with dropping the clutch at 5100 rpm but the surface was flat but seemed coarse so maybe I got more grip on that one :s

Sam

You don't really believe your 1.2 does 0-60mph in 8.7, do you?

those time vary so much, they must be way off?

what specs are the 1.2, ie bhp and kerb weight?

Still as long as it makes you happy, I guess it was a good buy..... ;)

Simon

MY 1.2 IS THE STOCK 75HP, BUT HAS A MAGNEX ZAUST and stripped to high haven, lowering on monday so should make it look and handel a little better, altho 8.7 does seem very quick for a 1.2

Breaking A 172 Replica
Simon,

No, I think I may have started on a slight gradient. I think this may have made the gtech think I was accelerating quicker than I actually was.

I know the results are varied, although with a few I missed gear changes and I changed at different points to experiment.

75 BHP and I have an induction kit fitted (although I doubt this will effect the BHP) and kerb weight is quoted as 945.

I have however taken out the rear seats, seat belts, spare wheel, tools and turinis are fitted with 2mm of tread.

I was the only person in the car and I weigh around 10.5-11 stone.

The fuel tank was a third full.

I think 10.5-11.0 is a fair figure?

Sam

MY 1.2 IS THE STOCK 75HP, BUT HAS A MAGNEX ZAUST and stripped to high haven, lowering on monday so should make it look and handel a little better, altho 8.7 does seem very quick for a 1.2

ok, so what the std kerb weight for your 1.2 clio?

Simon

Breaking A 172 Replica
Yeah, either way I was quite pleased with it.

What are the parts of the car that are at risk of getting damaged after repeated runs to 60?

Apart from the tyres?

Sam

Breaking A 172 Replica
Anything that is likely to break?

As in not wear out but just break?

The reason I say this is because I am selling the car in 5 months so not overly bothered about the clutch but I don't want something to just break.

Sam

DUB mk2 golf gti!
no i would of thought that of the 1.2 16v! once the extra 8v's come in it will be faster i imagine!but lower speeds think the 1.4 slightly better! it doesnt have to worrie about the extra valves!:D