ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 182 Won't Start.

RS Clio 182
My 182 won't start.

Never had any startup issues, always started on the first turn, never any hesitation or other flaws - then yesterday (after a good drive about 50-60 miles) it just wouldn't start, not even a tick from the starter motor.

Presumed I must have not shut the door properly and drained the battery, jump started it and all was ok again, ran perfectly on the way home. Stopped off at a local tyre place for a battery test and when they asked me to pull it into one of the bays it just wouldn't start again, wouldn't even turn over.

Anyway, they brought the testing kit out and did it in the car park, said the battery was knacked and chucked a new one in, still wouldn't turn over. Wouldn't even jump start this time.

It's a weekend car so not super urgent to fix it as I have other vehicles to use - so got it recovered and currently sat on my driveway.

Tried re-grounding the battery and still no turnover, leaving me to assume it's the starter motor, but given its never shown any sign of struggling could it be something else?

Long story I know but any help would be appreciated?

**I do intend to get my head under the bonnet and check fuses etc, but the rain is currently coming sideways so I'm stuck to trawling the forums for help**

MonkeyKnifeFight

ClioSport Club Member
  Rusty Cup
I'd be checking all the earths are tight. I had problems with the one under the airbox on the top of the gearbox. Loose earth can cause all kinds of problems took me a week to find mine!!

182 clio
Check the exiter wire on alternator.
This sends signal to alternator to charge.
If this is faulty it doesn't bring battery light on.
Disconnect it and close the pin a little and reconnect.

182 clio
Check the exiter wire on alternator.
This sends signal to alternator to charge.
If this is faulty it doesn't bring battery light on.
Disconnect it and close the pin a little and reconnect.
Sorry never saw the part wouldn't turn over with new battery. ?

Yeah I agree most likely an earth.
Double check the lower gearbox one best seen from under your car.
I believe there is 6 earth's in the engine bay.

RS Clio 182
Sorry never saw the part wouldn't turn over with new battery. ?

Yeah I agree most likely an earth.
Double check the lower gearbox one best seen from under your car.
I believe there is 6 earth's in the engine bay.

So after having it recovered 5 miles for the grand total of £80 (?) got it back on the driveway and she just started first time.

Pissed off doesn't even begin to describe it haha.

Any idea with this new info?