ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 197 Test Drive (With Pics)

Went past renault today and noticed that they had the 197 outside on the showroom floor, so as i had a couple of hours to spare, thought i would go in for a look around...

first impressions - the thing is huge!!!!!! reminded me of a v6, really wide arches, it really was big.. much much bigger than the 182.. they had two colour, Albi Blue (demonstrator) and the Nimbus Red (sp) in the showroom.. the red is stunning.. The interior is very similar to the megane, same keyless entry idea, push start button etc, and again, feels huge!!

So we chatted back and forth, he really new his stuff about the clios, owned a 182 FF and was looking to get a megane 225 soon, and basically i managed to blag a test drive.. (im only 19, and look younger). He drove first, to put in petrol etc, and then let me go.. Here is what i thought of it...

Seats/Postition - Much improved over my 182, really grip you well, and much more adjustments in the seat, and the wheels, reach and height was handy..

Clutch - Horrid, way too light for my liking, really difficult to find a biting point, bit of a let down

Brakes - Awesome, very very good, though they would need to be with all the extra weight, look nice behind the 17s aswell..

Steering - Very very light at low speeds, (under 30mph) but got heavier the quicker you go, still i felt it did not give as much feedback as the 182..

Performance - When i first pulled off, i though, christ this thing is slow, but its not too bad.. it was only on 90 miles, so fair enough, not run in (didnt stop me and him giving it the beans) but after a while, the pace seemed to pick up, and you are actually going alot faster than you think, the 182 seems quicker, but probably as it is a smaller car

Overall i thought it was a very nice, quick car.. the looks are amazin, really has grown on me.. that was until i got back into my 182..

The car pulled so so much better, and felt like a rocket!! no joke... maybe just as its a much smaller car, and it felt quicker, but that test drive made me appreciate my clio alot!! first thing i noticed was how heavy the clutch was, how much better the steering was, and how quick it 'felt'.. whether or not it was, i dont know.. here are a few pics :D

DSC00302.gif

DSC00305.gif

DSC00304.gif

DSC00303.gif

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yeah sounds quite good, my local renault has a red 197 in, so i am tempted for a quick spin aswell.

Octavia VRS
good review mate. I haven't seen if Livingston has a 197 demo yet but I'm tempted to go for a test drive when it comes.

he offered me £7600 for mine in september (when i could get the 197) which is a 54 plate, 9k.. bit of an insult i though, specially when the options list included £500 for xenons..

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
7600 that a joke, i sold my 182 with 16000 miles on the clock 04 plate (older than yours) for an o5 plate with 5000 miles and got £9000 for my 04 plate - 7600 is just wrong, gotta be worth more (this was only 2 months ago)

UR 197, AB 182 FF
I think it's time I spoke to Renault Watford and asked about a test drive in a 197. I've had this MK3 for a while now, so I need a new thing to abuse ;)

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I took a 197 for a test drive, and while I was driving the salesman said he had no interest in cars! Thats good then isn't it?

2015 ST2(MO)/CorsaLE
my test drives booked we our local garage gets one 22/07/2006 unsure on colour

the garages are all the same he told me, Red one for the showroom, and a blue demonstrator.. wouldnt get your hopes up guys!!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
justinRT said:
the garages are all the same he told me, Red one for the showroom, and a blue demonstrator.. wouldnt get your hopes up guys!!

Thats complete and utter bullshit as sunwin nottingham have a black one in the showroom.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Good review JustinRT

Got to be honest....

Your car looks the cat's ass. Racing Blue is a cracking colour.

Blows the 197 away. The new one just looks a bit fat ars*d at the back and a bit plain too.

Like the venturi though.

JMR

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Good review m8, but I'm not convinced by the 197 at all. Just look at your first picture. The 182 looks so, so much better. And I know what you mean about it being big. A dCi new-shape Clio that comes to work often looks HOOOGE compared to the Focuses on the car park.

The 197 just doesn't look special to me at all. The Meggy on the other hand, looks the business. The F1 (drool :)) and the Cup look superb. Style like that is where Reno should have headed. Not the bland, tall, fat 197 that we have now....:dapprove:

D.

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
i went to see one today and it looks better in the flesh, it is very big tho, and its high! i dont think its worth the switch, espec at £15995 ....

ClioSport 182
CooperS-Boy said:
Your cup looks a lot better mate imo.

Wot he said! Why would you trade in if you car feels faster... For me the 197 looks horrible compared to a 182. The only reason why I would change is if the build quality is infinitely better, which I seriously doubt.

KnightAzul

thanks for the opinions on my car.. soon to be lowered a bit.. but i wasnt really looking to change it, just wondered what the 197 is like.. now i know, and i will not be changing..! :D

MINI JCW
A good review mate and it seems to be consistent with what has been said before.

I really like the 197 but at that price I cant see any reason to buy that over the Meg 225