ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 50mm Dilemma

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Evening chaps,

I <3 my 50mm 1.8, but due to the D5100 not having an in built motor, it proves to be a bit of a pain when shooting anything that isn't a static object. So, I'm going to sell it.

Now then, do I buy the AF-S version, or have a bit of a change and buy a 35mm f/1.8 and save £40?

Cheers,
Luke.

The 35 f1.8 is very good! I use it on my D5000 and its by far my favourite lens. Very sharp and I personally think the focal length is better than the 50mm.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
That was easy, ordered. I'll give it a try and then at least that when it arrives, I can test the focal length against at the 50mm that I have and send it back and order the 50 if I don't like it.

Either way, I'll have a 50mm up for sale soon.

TEG, the body's perfect for what I use it for, can't justify upgrading to the D7000.

Cheers chaps x

50mm is a great focal length, and on your camera....35mm is nearer true 50mm.

50mm on your camera will be 75mm, which is an awkward focal length for everyday stuff.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
50mm is a great focal length, and on your camera....35mm is nearer true 50mm.

50mm on your camera will be 75mm, which is an awkward focal length for everyday stuff.

Thought as much Dan, cheers.

Anyone how much the 50mm's like I have tend to fetch second hand? £80ish?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sort it out you *****. There's always an excuse for upgradings !

:evil:

No need to upgrade at all, I hardly ever use it lol.

I just want a nice usable prime for when I go I Dubai in April, also quite fancy a 10-20 for the trip too. 18mm wasn't quite enough for the Khalifa last time, lol.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I got £50 for my 50mm when I sold it on (Canon) to these guys: www.mpbphotographic.co.uk

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
I’d get the 50, I’ve got the 35 F1.8 and I’ve now got the Sigma 50 f1.4, and my 35 has been made redundant since getting the 50, I much prefer it, I found the 35 too short and didn’t give me shallow enough DoF’s. Plus the bokeh is pretty horrific on the 35 at times, the 50 is said to be fantastic.

I'd opt for 35 as the focus length on my canon crop sensor 1.6 is too long with the 50 in tight spaces...

I assume you'll have a similar problem mate.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I’d get the 50, I’ve got the 35 F1.8 and I’ve now got the Sigma 50 f1.4, and my 35 has been made redundant since getting the 50, I much prefer it, I found the 35 too short and didn’t give me shallow enough DoF’s. Plus the bokeh is pretty horrific on the 35 at times, the 50 is said to be fantastic.

Interesting Niall, thanks mate. I'll do a direct comparison to my 50mm when it arrives :)

Cayman S Edition 1
You're mad to sell it. 50mm lenses produce stunning quality images. Keep it as a spare!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Came yesterday, trust me to have bought it from Jessops. Lol.

Seems good for the money so far, AF is a bit slow in lower light but it's nice and sharp! Will have a proper play at the weekend.

Focus ST-3
Would you say you prefer the focal length of the 35 over the 50 then? I am looking to get one or the other, I have a 18-55 kit lens and a 70-300 zoom. I always feel when at 55mm in the house or similar I am too close, so I'm swaying towards the 35mm. Is there any other difference apart from the focal length? I'm still fairly new to all of this!!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
What body do you have mate?

IMO, the 50mm produces slightly better brokeh, but on a crop sensor the 35mm is SO much more usable from a focal length point of view. I really like the lens, the only downside being that the auto focus is slightly slow in lower light.

Focus ST-3
I have a D3100.

Like you have said 50mm on my camera wont actually be 50mm will it? Hence why I was thinking the 35mm. They seem to be a little more pricey than the 50mm, why is that?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
You'll be looking at the 35mm AF-S compared to the 50mm AF mate. The difference being that AF lens's won't auto focus on body's without in built motors (D3100/D40/D60/D5100 etc). If you view a 50mm AF-S, they're about £40 more expensive than the 35mm.

Yep, 35mm will equivilate to a real world 50mm on your camera mate :)

I'll get some comparison shots for you tonight if you want?

Focus ST-3
I'm sure I was looking at the 35 and 50mm AF-S and the 35mm seemed about £30 more, maybe i was looking at the wrong thing, I had spent about 4 hours browsing ebay and was getting pretty tired!! but yeh, like you said I would need AF-S.

If you could bung a couple of comparison shots up that would be great! I did look at some tool on the Tamron website that lets you view different focal lengths but how accurate it is I don't know!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Here we are mate, stood in the same spot.

35mm @ f/1.8 1/160 ISO640:

8423563233_cf678f0e86_z.jpg

50mm @ f/1.8 1/160 ISO640:

8424643688_fd4c47cc23_z.jpg

Not the most interesting subject but should give you an idea. Hope it helps!

I've had several 50mm's over the years - 1.8 and 1.4 for my Canon bodies

I always find them a little too long on a crop body for most circumstances. Fine for portrait shots but pretty useless indoors
30-40mm is a nicer range on a crop body

Focus ST-3
Nice one Luke, thanks for that! I think i will definitely go for a 35mm then, I will end up backed up in corners of rooms using a 50 I reckon! Being honest I'd rather get a sigma 10-20mm but I can't justify the cost after only owning a camera for 6 weeks!!