ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My car keeps going into limp mode!

Clio 2 Sport
I have a Clio 2 Sport 182 body with a Clio 3 Sport 197 engine.

For 4 years it's been running without any issues. It has the 182's ECU which is managed by a Unichip Q. It has the 182's throttle body aswell.

When i drive at low rpm, usually nothing bad happens, but when i go over 5000 and keep going then it intermittently goes into limp mode which will eventually break something because of the shock of the engine stopping suddenly at high rpm's between 6000 and 7000 and i really don't want that to happen.

I replaced the throttle potentiometer at the throttle pedal, got different O2 sensors, cleaned all the sensors, replaced the little traction control box, cleared the memory of all errors, reset the ECU by disconnecting battery and by using diagnostics machine, i have checked the wiring as far as i could and found a few areas that were damaged and fixed it.

I am saving money to replace the throttle body seeing that the 182 parts have 150 000km on them and the newer engine has 40 000km, is it worth getting a new throttle body? Hard to find used parts here in South Africa as this particular Clio is very rare here, so if anyone could help me get my hands on a part that can be shipped, that would be cool.

Please help, I miss the car i used to drive so confidently.

PH2 172
There are numerous threads on this already.Most likely a wiring fault with green corrosion in the fuse box area.

Clio 2 Sport
Yeah i've seen there are a few threads on this but non of them really helps me on my issue, have read those threads and tested the parts ex. starter motor etc. , have checked that wiring area already, it seems fine

Clio 2 Sport
I went over the wiring again, removed headlight and all to thoroughly check the wiring at the fuse box area, it really seems fine and no loose wires. Today my car started showing the low on fuel light aswell as the electronic light thing when i wasn't low on fuel, a clue maybe?

Clio 2 Sport
Just a conclusion to my own thread: I found the problem, though there was some corroded wiring along the way, the thing that fixed my car was a newer throttle body from a different 197.

182 trackcar, XC60t6
Hey Needlefest did you get this sorted? My Clio2ph2 sport went into limp mode for the first time today. Turned it off and on again and it seems ok but will test later today and check the wiring if it comes back.

Clio 2 Sport
Hi. Yes, replacing the throttle body fixed my problem. But things to look at aswell are if your lambda sensors give readings when plugged in a diagnostics machine and getting other ones if its broken. A faulty map sensor can also cause it but you'll feel the car accelerating at an uneven pace. Mainly I would still say it could rather be the throttle body if your car has over 100 000km or so on the clock.