ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my car was alot faster today wtf??????

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
ive had my car a week now and wasnt that impressed with the acceleration and the rev limiter cuts in at 6750 approx even after been driving about for ages so today i was taking a short journey to work and after only 10 mins of careful driving i flooored it well fook me it was like someone dropped a tuned engine in there it sounded different to before and pulled harder and quicker than before right up to 7k rpm without the rev limiter kicking in i also felt a bigger difference at 5200 rpm where as before it was subtle!!!!!iam like hold on whats going on here?then today i tried again coming home from work and it was the same as its been all week :dapprove:any ideas?

ibiza cupra
was you flooring it before it had warmed up before because mine is slow as foook to start with but once warm it seems a fair bit quicker.

sorry just read the thread proply.

Last edited:
Sounds like you may have a problem somewhere if the rev limiter is cutting in at 6750rpm. On the day you said it felt more alive, the problem had probably corrected it's self. RS's do feel poor until properly warmed up though.

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
i was driving it slowly then gave it a footfull and i thought fookin hell that was quick!!! where as before ive been driving it hard and the rev limiter still cutting in at 6800 and was no where as fast as this morning!!!

ClioSport 172 Cup
yeh i get inconsistency like that, sometimes it feels like its straining, other times the engine sounds fantastic. I think its to do with the engine temperature and oil pressure as this effects the VVTi advance and limiter. Hence if you have been driving around for a while or a long distance so the engine gets hot, boot it and it goes like stink. Try and boot it from cold or too early and it sounds like it wants to give up.

Arctic Blue 182
Im no expert far from it. But from teh sounds of it it could be something like your automatic choke!

After about a min or two of driving the car should come alive coz thats when the choke would normaly turn off (Car has warmed up enough not to need it)

You should notice a power boost when this happens when driving normal. On mine not having moved my foot on the accelrator i get an extra 5 to 10mph when the choke turns off! Also rev limit is lowered by the electrics when car is cold!

Hope this helps!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I think its to do with the engine temperature and oil pressure as this effects the VVTi advance and limiter. Hence if you have been driving around for a while or a long distance so the engine gets hot, boot it and it goes like stink. Try and boot it from cold or too early and it sounds like it wants to give up.

its not a toyota it doesnt have vvti

as mentioned before your rev limiter will come in early untill the engine is up to temperature, this can take up to 20 minutes of normal easy driving in my experiance if its a cool day and you shouldnt be going near the limiter if its not up to temperature anyway!

VVT doesnt activate untill the engine is up to a certain temperature (along with a few other things) which will give a slight loss of performance but it shouldnt feel "slow" just lumpy.

id be checking the sensors, sounds to me like you may have a fault, coolant temp possibly

PH1 172 Sport
its not a toyota it doesnt have vvti

as mentioned before your rev limiter will come in early untill the engine is up to temperature, this can take up to 20 minutes of normal easy driving in my experiance if its a cool day and you shouldnt be going near the limiter if its not up to temperature anyway!

VVT doesnt activate untill the engine is up to a certain temperature (along with a few other things) which will give a slight loss of performance but it shouldnt feel "slow" just lumpy.

id be checking the sensors, sounds to me like you may have a fault, coolant temp possibly

I would be checking the temp sensor also

Golf GTD Mk7
it's probably a mixture of cold air, what rev's you were in and the engine feeling like it ;) Mine sometimes limits around 6750, but once you give it a bit for a while it loosens up and goes past the 7k mark ish. How much difference is there surely? might just be in your head :S

RS 172+
I got the opposite problem over the last 2 days...

Went into a 'strange' garage and started to fill up, only to realise it was 'premium' fuel going in :dapprove:

Car doesn't seem to pull so well ATM, almost like the hand brake is half on. Can't wait to empty the tank and get some 98RON back in!

Ph1 172
I experienced exactly the same thing when i first purchased mine. It turned out to the floor mat sitting under the thottle stopper thingy in the floor. Now, when I want to hooon it, I have to slide the floor map backwards towards the seat, then the pedal can reach the floor as and when required.
icon12.gif

ClioSport 172 Cup
Mark VVT and VVTi are both pretty much the same thing, toyota just like to add i on the end because they are Jap. Does the 172 not have injectors and an ECU controlling them?

Golf GTD Mk7
I experienced exactly the same thing when i first purchased mine. It turned out to the floor mat sitting under the thottle stopper thingy in the floor. Now, when I want to hooon it, I have to slide the floor map backwards towards the seat, then the pedal can reach the floor as and when required.
icon12.gif

Double sided velcro mate. works a treat. never slides. Saying that, the accellerator doesn't need pushing completely to the floor. The step at the bottom of the pedal range doesn't do anything as far as i'm aware apart from cancel the speed limiter.

Mark VVT and VVTi are both pretty much the same thing, toyota just like to add i on the end because they are Jap. Does the 172 not have injectors and an ECU controlling them?

Does Toyota's system not control electronic lift also? Something the Renault system lacks

Renaultsport Clio 197
my feels faster when I've had a beer or two ...

or when I'm simply in the mood ;)

no - seriously. On some days it just feels quicker and ...ehm..sounds better !

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

and what exactly does a 172 having injectors and an ecu have to do with vvti and vvt?

toyotas VVT is continuous varible valve timing where as the 172 has an on off system, so no, they are not the same, do you class vtec and vvt as the same thing?

ibiza cupra
vtec has nothing to do with controlling the timing. its to do with the third larger loeb on the cams.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
vtec has nothing to do with controlling the timing. its to do with the third larger loeb on the cams.

LOL quote of the day....

copyed from the net...

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing.

182,mx-5 mk1,mev sonic 7
maybe it was the hot days we been having thats done it i had a 5 turbo before and on hot days it wasnt that fast but whoa on a winters night very rapid i thought only fforced induction cars suffered badly from this but maybe not????