ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1*2 Running issue.

Nathan105e

ClioSport Club Member
Evening,

After some help!
Me and a friend are a bit stumped. Long story short, Friend had a 172, with 197 cams and the correct timing tool for the cams. Had it all mapped by Chris at EFi, happy days, a year on crashes the car. Finds a full working 182, that's all standard, Swapped his engine in to the 182 as it was, Re took it to Chris and had it mapped in again in the new ECU.

When getting upto temperature, the car (182) has a really bad hesitation and jerk from 1500up to around 4k. ( a lot more than they do as normal) Never did it in the 172, Everything has been swapped over and is as was before. He's renewed the full pump relay, Fitted a brand new fuel pump Still the same, He's been over everything and rechecked everything and to no avail, Isn't as noticeable when warm.
I know they have slight hesitation when getting upto temp but this is horrendous,

Is there anything we may of missed or swapped and we shouldn't of that can cause this from the 172 to the 182.

Before the engine was swapped the crashed car ( boot a 1/4 damage) still drove a short distance on the road to the unit, and never did it, So were sure it isn't the timing.
Surely wiring wouldn't be the cause, as its only at certain revs until temps are up and then it mostly disappears.. Car all mapped up at EFi again last week and pulled pretty much the same as last time 1-2 bhp difference, and he drove there so was up-to temp anyway when the mapping begun.

ANY help is appreciated as he just wants get back out on track now.

Last edited:

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
My 182 BG was awful when cold. It bounced all over the place until it warmed up. Had it at EFi to get it mapped plus the cold map sorted but it was always the same. I Threw the parts cannon at it, replaced seals, gaskets but it was always the same from cold. Once up to temperature it was great.

The only time i noticed a slight change was when the manifold to cat gasket was leaking, so I replaced that and for a week it was fine.

It started happening again. I sold the car to a member on here and mentioned it so not sure if he ever cured it. I put it down to just being old with starship mileage.

The only parts I never replaced were the lambdas.

Lawton359

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My 182 BG was awful when cold. It bounced all over the place until it warmed up. Had it at EFi to get it mapped plus the cold map sorted but it was always the same. I Threw the parts cannon at it, replaced seals, gaskets but it was always the same from cold. Once up to temperature it was great.

The only time i noticed a slight change was when the manifold to cat gasket was leaking, so I replaced that and for a week it was fine.

It started happening again. I sold the car to a member on here and mentioned it so not sure if he ever cured it. I put it down to just being old with starship mileage.

The only parts I never replaced were the lambdas.
I’ve read a lot of people saying this issue on here but nothing to rectify it.
Honestly doing my head in.
Got a few things to try before I give up but thanks for the feedback.

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
How bad are we talking? There are threads going all the way back to 2005 talking about these being flat when dead cold, most saying it's normal and can be fixed with the fastchip 98RON map.
On my 182, stock map, ~145k miles admittedly, if I don't let it idle for a couple of mins before setting off it feels flat above 2k in 2nd gear onwards for about 200m then it behaves normally.

Or are your symptoms entirely different?

Lawton359

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How bad are we talking? There are threads going all the way back to 2005 talking about these being flat when dead cold, most saying it's normal and can be fixed with the fastchip 98RON map.
On my 182, stock map, ~145k miles admittedly, if I don't let it idle for a couple of mins before setting off it feels flat above 2k in 2nd gear onwards for about 200m then it behaves normally.

Or are your symptoms entirely different?
It’s mapped by Chris at efi with 99 vpower.

First turn of key… doesn’t start, stop cranking then go again and it starts second time.

When driving it’s hesitant around 2-3.5k driving smoothly not heavy footed. Can’t apply much power, signs of misfire. When warm yeah she goes well.

Lawton359

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Also noticed when this is happening the stop and battery light illuminates.
Good battery with good connections and brand new alternator.
Don’t think they are related.

Lawton359

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Update!!!

Swapped ECU over to my 172 which was mapped previously by Chris @ EFI and runs like a dream, no issues.

Suspect just cold start issue on ecu.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Almost sounded like you were momentarily losing a major earth or connection with the Stop & battery light coming on. No chance you jogged something doing the ecu swap? Battery cables, earth strap etc?