ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My clutch is slipping

172 cup
My 172 cup's clutch has started to slip

From all the search's valeo is the one to go for but I spoke to someone today he said of late the the valeo clutch's are crap

Any advice on what to buy

Its basicly a stock car with an exhaust and filter

Cheers
a6ed00085dc9ed0112e817afea6b490a.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It’s the massive torque from the 172 that the clutches can’t handle!

I can’t see you having an issue with a valeo clutch.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Valeo will be fine, if you go Sachs or LUK then they'll have at least one bit from the Valeo kit in them anyway.

monaco 172
Nothing wrong with th valeo kit, it's seen most 172 and 182s from the factory to well over 100k.

Fitted one last year to my old 172, no issues

172 cup
Cheers gents tbh that's exactly what i thought but as this fella mentioned it I thought I would ask

Can anyone recommend the cheapest place to get one?

And Labour what would you say is reasonable price to pay

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

monaco 172
I have bought 2 from gsf, choose their premium option and it's always been a valeo.

It's a nightmare of a job to be honest, I bet it's a good 8 hours labour even on a ramp, took me a day an half on my driveway on axel stands and I did run into issues with the subframe bolts which added probably an extra 2 hours on.

No idea what hourly rates garages charge but I bet it's about 40 quid an hour so id say don't be shocked if they quote at least 320 labour.

I have just fitted a genune renault Valeo clutch kit, bought from @renaultpartsdirect at £180

It was to replace the LUK clutch which had failed with a broken cover plate. More details in this thread https://cliosport.net/threads/clutch-damage.834440/

I decided to do the job myself as I have the time, and it was over £500 in labour last time I had it done in the garage.
I only have axle stands, jacks and a decent array of tools. Sadly no ramp.....when I win the lottery!

Reckon it took about 8hrs for me to get the old clutch out. Obviously the first time I'd done it so taking time to note what I'd done and where the bolts came from.
I was lucky in that I had no problems with the subframe bolts, they seem to be a notorious pain, but I did use the impact gun to rattle them out which seemed to work well.
Also found I didn't need to do anything with the steering rack, the subframe wedged down far enough with the rack still in place.
Probably about 4-5 hours to fit the new clutch and put everything back, which included renewing the trackrod ends.

So all in all not a quick job, but quite rewarding both financially and in learning about the mechanics of the car.

Mine's a 182 and I used a downloaded workshop guide and the guides on here to follow the job through, although you'll allways find there are bits on your car or issues that just don't seem to be covered anywhere!

Good luck!

Just thought I'd better check the invoice again, but yes it was 7.25hrs at £64 per hour plus VAT!

That was a complete gearbox swap, but I can't see that being much more work than a clutch change.
I guess the 7.25 hours might be the book rate for a gearbox change rather than actual time.

As I can only trailer the car now I'll definitely look for a more local recommendation If I need a garage to do the job in future

172 cup
Thanks all I doubt I'll do the work on my drive it's easier for me to pay someone and go into work on a days overtime at double pay
So I've spoken to someone local and he wants 200 if I supply the parts

I'm not sure if he knows it's a big job or not

Looks like I'll get a clutch and let him crack on with it 😁

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Word of advice, pre WD-40 the threads of the subframe bolts.. as these are getting older they have more of a tendency of spinning the captive nuts off.. so what used to be a 2/3 hour job on a ramp (done lots) can quickly turn into a pile of dog s**t!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk