ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my electrics and alarm issues

car clio 172 2001 Y reg

a couple of times ive turned the ignition off and the lights on the dash have flickered and a clicking sound has come from under the glove box. I thought nothing of it as it stopped after a minute of so. I then went to the car wash yesterday and the same thing happened once i stopped and turned the ignition off. If i put the key back in and turned it on then it would stop but then would continue when i took the key out. Eventually it stopped so i locked up and left it. I came back to the car a few hours later and the alarm went off and continued to....(non stop). I tried to start the car but the battery was flat or too flat to start it. The alarm just wouldnt stop and continued going off until we had to disconnected the battery.
Ive been told that as the battery is flat the alarm will continue to go off until the battery is recharged, is this correct?

But my main issue is whats up with my electrics that caused the battery to go flat? How can i explain this to the mechanic as the dash lights flickering when i turn the ignition off only happens occassionally, Maybe when it gets wet due to it happening after the car wash.

Any one else had this issue?

cheers for any advice

rob

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Rob,

Just need to be clear on a couple of things then I can work it out for you.

Is it the Renault upgrade alarm that works from your key remote ?

By lights flashing do you mean the indicator warning lights on the dash IE the green arrows ?

Have you now charged the battery up ?

Hi thanks ever so much for getting back to us

Yeh its set from the key remote.

Lights flashing is the green arrows, oil light all the sensor lights between the rev and speedometer. They just flicker as if theres an electrical fault and a clicking sound coming from down by the fuses or under the glove box.

I havent had a char=nce to try and recharge the battery, the garage said they would come pick it up and do that for me as its MOT time as well. But i just want to be able to expalin the electrics fault to them as well. As cause this happens occasionally i knwo my luke they will charge the battery back up and all will be fine until the next time it gets wet or something and it happens again.

Cheers mate

Rob

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Hi Rob,

I would have a fairly substantial bet ALL that is caused by a flat battery.

The clicking is the relays that control the engine start sequence for fuel pump etc.
As you turn the key the starter motor is taking the battery below the voltage they work at so they drop out, then when you release the key they try to recover and "chatter"

The alarm thinks the supply has been cut to it and the small battery inside the sounder, sets it off and the hazard lights flash.

All points to flat battery. check the date code stamped into the top of it.

If the car is more than 3 years old and its the original battery, get a new one.

Hi

The dash lights flickering happend before the battery died. I got home turned the ignition off and it happened, it then stopped so i thought it was ok. But it must of started happening when i left. Then when i came back it had drained the battery. And that has happened before but not drained the battery.

Do you mean as the battery might be a bit old is it causing this to happen? And subsquently drained the battery and lead to the alarm problems etc..

thanks again

rob

TeZ

Non RS : (
i have the smae problems with a few others on here 2, not sure what causes it i had a new battery and seems to have fixed it .... For now

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Yes, thats exactly right Rob,

Don't forget, you Alarm is now effectively self contained, with its own supply to detect tampering.

If the battery voltage drops below a certain level, it will kick in.
Your alarm may have been going off without you knowing it.

We had exactly the same thing with our 172. new battery cured it.

I also changed the crap Cobra alarm Renault fit, but thats another story.