ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first project car

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
Hello!
Going back 3 months when I was driving a mk2 ford focus (my first car), i got rear ended in McDonald's drive thru of all places, which ended up writing off my car.
When I was talking to the mechanic at the garage to see about a quote for repairs, he told me about his friends clio that was for sale. I think it was 5 days later I bought the car. I finally got it insured when I got 1 years NCD and safe to say I absolutely adore clios now!

IMG_20170712_232953_790.jpg

IMG_20170712_232726_787.jpg

IMG_20170619_093348_056.jpg

IMG_20170712_194035_215.jpg

The car is a 2006 Clio Dynamique S 1.6 16v, although it is registered on a 55 plate.

I have many plans with the car. I got the car for an insanely cheap price for even a stock clio, let alone with the modifications already on the vehicle.

As it sits it has had new coilovers (the road holding from them is absolutely bonkers, I didn't think a car could handle and grip like this car does), new alloys, a carbon fibre ram air filter and has been stripped out in the back. It's safe to say I'm looking forward to see how it will look in a year's time!

I thought I'd just write a little hello and introduction on the forum. I look forward to meeting some of you at meets and events!

Hello!
Going back 3 months when I was driving a mk2 ford focus (my first car), i got rear ended in McDonald's drive thru of all places, which ended up writing off my car.
When I was talking to the mechanic at the garage to see about a quote for repairs, he told me about his friends clio that was for sale. I think it was 5 days later I bought the car. I finally got it insured when I got 1 years NCD and safe to say I absolutely adore clios now!

View attachment 194249

View attachment 194250

View attachment 194251

View attachment 194252

The car is a 2006 Clio Dynamique S 1.6 16v, although it is registered on a 55 plate.

I have many plans with the car. I got the car for an insanely cheap price for even a stock clio, let alone with the modifications already on the vehicle.

As it sits it has had new coilovers (the road holding from them is absolutely bonkers, I didn't think a car could handle and grip like this car does), new alloys, a carbon fibre ram air filter and has been stripped out in the back. It's safe to say I'm looking forward to see how it will look in a year's time!

I thought I'd just write a little hello and introduction on the forum. I look forward to meeting some of you at meets and events!
Looks good [emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Get rid of the whysoserious sticker and it'll look a million times better.
I'd be sacking off the halfords alloys too, but it's a good base! Welcome to the forum mate.

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
Get rid of the whysoserious sticker and it'll look a million times better.
I'd be sacking off the halfords alloys too, but it's a good base! Welcome to the forum mate.
Must admit i quite like the sticker, at the right angle the sun makes a shadow across the dashboard saying whysoserious and i like it 😂 although i may have to get a sunstrip as i ripped out the sun visers as they were abit grim looking, in which case the sticker will be gone.

I'll agree the wheels do look ricer AF, although ive found it very hard to find other wheels that would suit, let alone them being in my price range and the same stud pattern etc. For the moment Im going to keep them, spend my money on a performance clutch (current clutch slips in first and sometimes second) and braided brake lines, among many other upgrades i hope to do soon

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
Must admit i quite like the sticker, at the right angle the sun makes a shadow across the dashboard saying whysoserious and i like it 😂 although i may have to get a sunstrip as i ripped out the sun visers as they were abit grim looking, in which case the sticker will be gone.

I'll agree the wheels do look ricer AF, although ive found it very hard to find other wheels that would suit, let alone them being in my price range and the same stud pattern etc. For the moment Im going to keep them, spend my money on a performance clutch (current clutch slips in first and sometimes second) and braided brake lines, among many other upgrades i hope to do soon
Personally I wouldn't bother with a "performance" clutch, a stock clutch will be more than adequate, also "performance" clutches get abit tiresome after a while on the road. my Impreza had a lightweight flywheel and uprated clutch and it was a leg quaker in traffic.
My advice would be, decent wheels and tyres (or tyres if that's within your budget)
give it a service, brakes, fluids etc.
do a trackday :up:

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
Personally I wouldn't bother with a "performance" clutch, a stock clutch will be more than adequate, also "performance" clutches get abit tiresome after a while on the road. my Impreza had a lightweight flywheel and uprated clutch and it was a leg quaker in traffic.
My advice would be, decent wheels and tyres (or tyres if that's within your budget)
give it a service, brakes, fluids etc.
do a trackday :up:

I see what you mean. Although the main reason i want to go for a performance clutch is because in future i hope to turbo or possibly supercharge the car, and i figured getting a bettter clutch early would mean that when i do do big power upgrades the drive train can cope with it. This is only me talking from having no personal experience of these upgrades, do you think even with possibly turboing the car in future a stock clutch would be fine? I wouldn't want to push crazy power because id still quite like a working engine.

Im definetely going to look at better tyres when the current ones are worn down, although they are almost new from when i bought the car so i will wait for them to wear out. Also when i bought the car i gave it an oil change, service and an MOT which bled and adjusted the brakes

Im also looking to do a track day in the coming months when i can afford it, good times are ahead! :car::hearteyes:

Listerine & Poledo
I see what you mean. Although the main reason i want to go for a performance clutch is because in future i hope to turbo or possibly supercharge the car, and i figured getting a bettter clutch early would mean that when i do do big power upgrades the drive train can cope with it.
Im also looking to do a track day in the coming months when i can afford it, good times are ahead! :car::hearteyes:

You're going to pour how much money into this?

Before you go any further, just look at the prices of Clio RS 197's and 200's, then weigh up the time/money/faff//breakdown probability of an aftermarket turbo install -v- a factory-quick vehicle.
And if insurance is a problem, then stuff your 1.6 full of aftermarket parts isn't going to help you either.

All good for you to have plans and ideas, but just consider my point. Others (CS regulars included) will agree

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
You're going to pour how much money into this?

Before you go any further, just look at the prices of Clio RS 197's and 200's, then weigh up the time/money/faff//breakdown probability of an aftermarket turbo install -v- a factory-quick vehicle.
And if insurance is a problem, then stuff your 1.6 full of aftermarket parts isn't going to help you either.

All good for you to have plans and ideas, but just consider my point. Others (CS regulars included) will agree

I see your point. Although these are all ideas for if I plan to keep the car for a good few years. I've always wanted to work on cars myself, so I plan to try to get as much experience working on my own car where possible.

I must admit I never intending in going for a clio, I was going to go for a mk1 or mk2 mx5, although when this came up so cheap and with the modifications I couldn't resist the offer. I doubt if I was going to change car I would go for another clio as I would be looking for something rear wheel drive.

Thankyou for the opinion tho! Like I said this is my first car I plan to modify, so I don't have any previous experience with this, so I know that alot of my plans probably wont end up becoming reality, but it keeps me haply thinking about it so wheres the harm there :)

Listerine & Poledo
Looks real nice, although would be way out of my price range for the next couple of years
If that's the case, don't even start looking up the costs of trying to screw any meaning power out of what you have now. It really will be like burning fistfuls of £50 notes. Pretty sure that a turbo set-up, installed, mapped, and reliably working, is going to be sharp end of £3000.

Should have held out for that MK2 MX-5 . ;)

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
If that's the case, don't even start looking up the costs of trying to screw any meaning power out of what you have now. It really will be like burning fistfuls of £50 notes. Pretty sure that a turbo set-up, installed, mapped, and reliably working, is going to be sharp end of £3000.

Should have held out for that MK2 MX-5 . :wink:

Like I said though these are all plans for over a long long period of time. I have a lot of friends who are mechanics and have installed turbos before, so I can bring down some.of the costs by working on the car myself with friends.

I can't say I have heard of it before, but does anyone have an experience with supercharging clios? I would imagine it's a lot rarer than a turbo but it would definetely be something interesting and different

Listerine & Poledo
Like I said though these are all plans for over a long long period of time. I have a lot of friends who are mechanics and have installed turbos before, so I can bring down some.of the costs by working on the car myself with friends.

I can't say I have heard of it before, but does anyone have an experience with supercharging clios? I would imagine it's a lot rarer than a turbo but it would definetely be something interesting and different
Well, it's your money.

Yes, superchargers are a thing, @Cub. has/had a 172 with a supercharger and it was entirely superb.
Different, yes. Interesting, yes. Rarer, yes. Dat sound? awwwww yeaaaaaah
£-for-£ they're not as outright powerful, I'm led to believe.

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
Well, it's your money.

Yes, superchargers are a thing, @Cub. has/had a 172 with a supercharger and it was entirely superb.
Different, yes. Interesting, yes. Rarer, yes. Dat sound? awwwww yeaaaaaah
£-for-£ they're not as outright powerful, I'm led to believe.

I've heard superchargers are cheaper and easier than turbos as they're often more of a bolt on job than a turbo, whether or not that's the same for a clio i dont know. I would definetely prefer a turbo 1 for the sound and 2 because the low end torque isn't the best for the car at the moment which a turbo would be a lot more beneficial. Although I do quite like the idea of a supercharge whine coming from under the hood

Clio Dynamique S 1.6
in the future if your after more power im sure a 197 engine swap would be a lot more cost effective, its an option to look at.

That's definetely a good idea. If I ever get to the point of engine swapping the car I will have a look.

I'm a big jdm fan, so if I could do an engine swap if love to chuck a sr20 SET under the hood, although whether it would even be possible is another story, plus that would require many moneys but would also make a lot of fun

Raceface_13

Staffordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
That's definetely a good idea. If I ever get to the point of engine swapping the car I will have a look.

I'm a big jdm fan, so if I could do an engine swap if love to chuck a sr20 SET under the hood, although whether it would even be possible is another story, plus that would require many moneys but would also make a lot of fun
The sr20DET engine is good but youd be into mega mega money, anythings possible just depends how deep your pockets are. Tbh the k20a would be a better shout if u wanted to do a daft swap but tbh its abit pointless when other options are available (i.e buying a 197 or a ep3....) all this sounds like its a along along way away so just enjoy the car for what it is and worry about it when the time comes

Canary172

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The sr20DET engine is good but youd be into mega mega money, anythings possible just depends how deep your pockets are. Tbh the k20a would be a better shout if u wanted to do a daft swap but tbh its abit pointless when other options are available (i.e buying a 197 or a ep3....) all this sounds like its a along along way away so just enjoy the car for what it is and worry about it when the time comes

This ^

For me, a forced induction tune is not a sensible option when there are more cost effective and reliable ones available.

Clio Dynamique S 1.6

K20a does sound like a fun idea. But yeah I know these are all ideas for years to come if I ever do it. For now I just live the excitement of the prospect of future mods. I'm looking forward to building her slowly so each mod I get to enjoy for a month or two before I change something else.

Can't wait to see her evolution over the coming years