ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first tank of Standard unleaded

i think it is more like an asbo effect you think because you have a high octane fuel it going to be so much quicker...i think a test should be done to proove this

Clio 182
Optimax (or equivilent) from day 1 for me. I now only use Vpower. I have noticed a difference though since using Vpower, but maybe thats just me thinking its quicker.

al

ST on the way...
There was a test on 5th Gear a while ago and they discovered that car that we're designed to take 98/99ron DID get more power by using such.

R

Rebecca

I heard you are meant to alternate it a few tanks of good stuff to a tank of the cheaper stuff.? Has anyone else heard this?

172 Cup (2003)
172.com said:
Doesn't the ECU remap itself to use a lower grade fuel? If so you won't notice when you put good stuff in as the car's not mapped properly to make best use of it.

......based on that idea, should i get down my local ECU remapping shop to get it mapped for 99RON?

I've been running it on normal fuel up to this lunchtime, where i've put my first tank of 99 in.

Scirocco GT 210
clidge said:
i think it is more like an asbo effect you think because you have a high octane fuel it going to be so much quicker...

Asbo effect? :S Has it been upsetting locals with loud music and petty vandalism?

gazzrenn said:
......based on that idea, should i get down my local ECU remapping shop to get it mapped for 99RON?

I've been running it on normal fuel up to this lunchtime, where i've put my first tank of 99 in.
Not sure for definate, I heard it maps itself down, so you would expect to map itself up (to at least a 98 level). But I can't say for sure, I don't think it would do it after one fill up though take a while to do it I think. However, I'm sure there's people with more expertise than me, who can confirm or deny.

I wonder if I can get mine to remap itself to use diesel. joke.

al said:
There was a test on 5th Gear a while ago and they discovered that car that we're designed to take 98/99ron DID get more power by using such.

its been done in EVO too!

I'd love to try a tank of pure Redex! Then I could play with the bigboys! :rasp:

172 Cup (2003)
172.com said:
Not sure for definate, I heard it maps itself down, so you would expect to map itself up (to at least a 98 level). But I can't say for sure, I don't think it would do it after one fill up though take a while to do it I think. However, I'm sure there's people with more expertise than me, who can confirm or deny.

I wonder if I can get mine to remap itself to use diesel. joke.
Well... funny you should say that. (not the diesel bit :p)

I've just spoken to my mechanic, who drives a Mitsi Evo and uses 99 RON fuel.

He says that ECU's generally now are pretty smart, and will alter themselves depending on what sort of fuel is used. It may take a few tanks worth though.

..... AND because fuel is so cheap at the moment, 99RON is about the same price as 95RON used to be :cool: theres never been a better time to try it !!

Last edited:
  Silver 172 Ph1
I got on PetrolPrices.co.uk and checked out my local sains was only 1p more expensive for super. Been trying it for a while get around 2-3 mpg difference which I'd say makes up for the price. Not sure about performance but I imagine its negligible.

172 mk2 Iceberg
my 172,s tickover on 95 ron is rougher than on higher octane
V max seems the best match so far for it

1.2 MK2 PH2
mine is a bit rattley when idle and i use regular 95.... ill have to fill up in a few days like so ill defintly give it a go im not to fussed on the extra price aslong as it stops sounding fkin rough! .... couldnt give a monkies about the performance lol

Vee dub
I don't buy super unleaded to get more power... I buy it because it's meant to be cleaner for the engine and gives slightly more mpg.

R

rich[182]

I really don't get this Optimax / V-Power debate in some of these threads

Theres loads of owners who swear by it but yet theres a few who will run 95 RON to save a few quid, some of which have probably (against all advice) installed an open IK costing over £100 to have an instant power sapping drop, and yet they won't bat an eyelid about that

172 EXCLUSIVE
what is the highest RON you can get??

Can you buy an additive to nicrease RON??

Is it safe to use over 100 RON??

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
I have run mine a few times on normal unleaded and never noticed a difference. Anybody that does is experiencing something called a 'placebo' And to the thread starter that said it half as much acceleration in second, it helps if you put your foot to the floor.

Cars nowadays have knock sensors, so if your car is shaking then its something other than the fuel.

Its almost as bad as people not revving their cars when they get them because they believe they have to be run in. :rofl:

R

rich[182]

^ personally i disagree re the placebo effect, but everyones got their own thoughts on this and different perceptions etc