ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first trip to the Mach Loop ...

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
And what a place it is! Very lucky today as we have a lot of movements and some nice weather!

43587341055_ba73eed58c.jpg
ZA614 // Tornado // Royal Air Force // Mach Loop by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr
43778856694_6e08f8eca8.jpg
91-327 // F15-E Strike Eagle // USAF // Mach Loop by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr
44446268362_cff817dd1e.jpg
ZA614 // Tornado GR4 // Royal Air Force // Mach Loop by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Cheers guys - I'll be going back tomorrow and Friday, weather isn't looking too favourable though! At least I can tick off my bucket list!

One more:

29560123027_2a2fc9b352.jpg
RAF100 C130 Hercules // Royal Air Force // Mach Loop by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
How do you know when they’re flying?

You don't! some days there will be nothing at all come through - just pot luck.

We had about 20 movements today which is a lot according to the regulars.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yep - the "Timetable" that's published by the RAF doesn't really apply to the Loop I've been told.
Yeah that’s the trouble with it mate. As you’ve said previously it’s all hit and miss.

It’s worth joining the ‘Lichfield corridor group’ on bookface if you have it? Majority of stuff coming through the corridor is off on its way to the Mach loop, and there’s always regular posters on there with what’s coming through.
Alternatively sign up to a flight radar provider that tracks military aircraft as you’ll be able to track stuff as it comes from the east.

We get f15’s, had the f22’s over, f16’s, tornados and typhoons all over the house as they’re on the way there/back. Even had the awacs and sentinel over on their way back to base after the raf100 flypast.

Flamer Barn Find
I went a few years ago. Spent 3 days sleeping in the back of my car. Day 1 there was bugger all and I ended up in a bit of a huff. Day 2 and 3 made up for it as it was flat out. Hawks from Valley, Typhoons, Tornados, F15's and A10's from Lakenheath and Mildenhall. Just as I was packing up on the last day 2 x C17's came blistering through.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Yeah that’s the trouble with it mate. As you’ve said previously it’s all hit and miss.

It’s worth joining the ‘Lichfield corridor group’ on bookface if you have it? Majority of stuff coming through the corridor is off on its way to the Mach loop, and there’s always regular posters on there with what’s coming through.
Alternatively sign up to a flight radar provider that tracks military aircraft as you’ll be able to track stuff as it comes from the east.

We get f15’s, had the f22’s over, f16’s, tornados and typhoons all over the house as they’re on the way there/back. Even had the awacs and sentinel over on their way back to base after the raf100 flypast.

Yeah, i'm in a few of the groups - pretty handy. Also spent the day next to people "in the know"!

One more:

43588795675_611ed2bb17.jpg
Look Mum, no hands! by Simon Nicholls, on Flickr

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The Luftwaffe are currently doing a joint op with the brits at raf coningsby. Typhoons and GR4’s, so I’m surprised the GR4’s haven’t been through tbh. Cobra Warrior is the name of the exercise.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
The Luftwaffe are currently doing a joint op with the brits at raf coningsby. Typhoons and GR4’s, so I’m surprised the GR4’s haven’t been through tbh. Cobra Warrior is the name of the exercise.

Apparently they were meant to come through the loop earlier in the week - let's see what tomorrow brings!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Just got home after a nice long 5 hour journey back to Essex!

Had a couple come through today, I left at about 1 ish I think, I got 10 mins down the road and 6 F-15's went through. I was proper gutted!

Always next time though - cracking place.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Just got home after a nice long 5 hour journey back to Essex!

Had a couple come through today, I left at about 1 ish I think, I got 10 mins down the road and 6 F-15's went through. I was proper gutted!

Always next time though - cracking place.
You have Lakenheath just up the road if you want the 15s. Appreciate not quite in the same scenery ..

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Have you got any photos of your position? I assume you had to get some height and didn’t just step out of the car at the top of a hill?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Have you got any photos of your position? I assume you had to get some height and didn’t just step out of the car at the top of a hill?
10-15 minutes walk from the road carpark. It's not a massive hill tbh.

It bloody is! ?

Took us around 45 minutes to get to the top - first part is pretty steady then it get's pretty steep from there on.

https://goo.gl/maps/6g9jqsuzhfr

You'll need good walking shoes, I also took a pop up tent to use at the top.

I used the below site to plan my visit -

https://www.shootsmart.co.uk/mach-loop-wales/mach-loop/

dan's cast offs.
There is a cracking campsite on the coast just by the end of the road where it joins the coast road. Sometimes get stuff giving it beans when it passes over.

Lake Windermere is also a good one for low flying stuff, last summer must of been best part of 20 flew over and most not hanging around either.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
It bloody is! ?

Took us around 45 minutes to get to the top - first part is pretty steady then it get's pretty steep from there on.

https://goo.gl/maps/6g9jqsuzhfr

You'll need good walking shoes, I also took a pop up tent to use at the top.

I used the below site to plan my visit -

https://www.shootsmart.co.uk/mach-loop-wales/mach-loop/

Tbh, I didn't walk right to the top. I only went along the ridge then probably 300mtrs or so along the fence. When I'm on my own I don't hang about though, I was overtaking a lot of people.