ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My LENSPEN SensorKlear ‘Pro Kit’ Review.

Works...kind of...
I was quoted £50 by my local independent camera shop to clean the sensor on my DSLR. Not knowing what they’d use or who’d being doing it, I’d rather do it myself and know I’d make a good job taking care during the process. I also saved £15 by buying this kit.

I decided to go with the LensPen SensorKlear, which is a dry method. Partly because it’s had good feedback from people on forums (especially with my camera, a EOS 20D), and also because I’ve had an original LensPen that always travels with me and has never let me down so thought I’d go with what I know.

The Pro Kit consists of:

• LensPen SensorKlear
• 3x Spare SensorKlear Heads
• Hurricane (Rocket) Blower
• MicroKlear Microfiber Suede Cloth
• Natural Leather Carrying Case

Everything is of an extremely high quality in this kit; especially the case and the Microfiber cloth which you would think are comparative afterthoughts.

The case uses very soft good quality leather, the zip is of a good quality with two zippers and it can hold all of the items that come in the kit with ease yet it takes up very little space.

The cloth is soft, quite strong and has good quality soft stitching which should prevent scratching. Please note this cloth is designed for general cleaning of the camera, and NOT to be used on the sensor.

The hurricane blower is made of a thick quality rubber with transparent blue plastic nozzle with rubber tip to prevent damage. It uses a double inlet valve which stops the blower from taking in dusty air. In comparison to my previous U.N. blower brush it pushes at least 3 times as much air in one squeeze yet is of similar dimensions.

The SensorKlear itself is quite different in appearance compared to the Original LenPen. Firstly it’s a lot narrower, this is so it’s easier to get to the sensor without hitting the mirror or side of the camera. Also it’s matt with a textured feel possibly for better grip, where as the LensPen is a gloss black smooth plastic. The tip of the SensorKlear employs a triangular shape so that it’s possible to get in to the corners.

All photos were taken at F/32 with appropriate shutter speed. Processed in RAW with auto WB in PS and then auto-leveled to bring out the imperfections

Below is a picture before sensor cleaning:

IMG_3690.jpg

After using rocket blower:

IMG_3694.jpg

After two goes over with the SensorKlear

IMG_3701.jpg

I'm very impressed with the results, the above took me 5 minutes or so and I wasn't rushing at all. Pretty sure the last of it is from the lens/filter. I 'could' give the sensor another go, but I'm happy.

My only gripe for it is that their are no physical instructions with the kit except a few small sheets which goes over it very briefly. But the whole process is pretty self-explanatory, especially if you've used any LensPen product in the past.

If you already have a blower etc, you can buy the pen separately for £11-£15, which IMO is a bargain!

So it gets a thumbs up from me with a score of 9/10. One knocked off purely because of no instructions for novices.

Cupra
fair play to you for having a go, i'd be worried about making it worse if i did it. Certainly a massive improvement!
Nice write up BTW

Works...kind of...
I was bricking it a bit beforehand lol! But as long as you have a bit of common sense and think it through before doing it you shouldn't have much problem.

The Sensor (you're cleaning the AA filter really) is actually a lot tougher than some people realise. Doesn't mean you should be careless though.

And thank you. :)