ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk7 Golf GTD

Golf GTD
Long time reader of this section but only recently got into detailing. Need to invest in some Tyre shine, is Megs Endurance the go to?

Comments are appreciated my methods are as follows:

Valet Pro PH Neutral Snow Foam
Rinse off
Wash car with AG Shampoo Conditioner
Rinse
Clay car with Farecla Clay Mitt (Really impressed with this)
Dry with Microfire towels
Polish with AG Super Resin Polish
Wax with Fusso Soft Coat Dark (Used to use AG HD Wax but my car was literally covered in dust within an hour)

The results (HTC M8 is to blame for the poor photos!)

IMAG0372_zpsb57692ae.jpg

IMAG0370_zpsc18dc5ec.jpg

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
How often are you claying ?!

Once a year is probably plenty unless you live in an industrial park.

Claying always induces marring....

Get it machine corrected and seal with something like CQuartz then just wash it if necessary.

Golf GTD
Cheers Scrim

How often are you claying ?!

Ahh I've only clayed once, was planning on doing it twice a year but will stick to once. How can you recognise marring?

Also does anyone know a good way of getting rid of buffer trails? They've been there since I've collected the car from the dealers and no polish/wax has managed to get rid of them. Although they are less visible now they still appear in some light

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Ahh I've only clayed once, was planning on doing it twice a year but will stick to once. How can you recognise marring?

Also does anyone know a good way of getting rid of buffer trails? They've been there since I've collected the car from the dealers and no polish/wax has managed to get rid of them. Although they are less visible now they still appear in some light

Ok .. I thought from your process list there you were claying every weekend :eek:

Re: Buffer trails - get it machined properly .. find someone on here who knows how to machine, or take it to someone like Jim @ White Details (I don't know where you are based..) and get a correction / seal which should last you a long time if you wash it properly !

Golf GTD
Ok .. I thought from your process list there you were claying every weekend :eek:

Re: Buffer trails - get it machined properly .. find someone on here who knows how to machine, or take it to someone like Jim @ White Details (I don't know where you are based..) and get a correction / seal which should last you a long time if you wash it properly !

Ah yeah it might read like that, apologies. I'm based in the North East, think a correction will be the next step.

Claying doesn't always induce marring.

if you use a soft clay with a good quality lubricant you shouldn't find any marring left behind.

however a more aggressive clay bar will mar the paint.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If youre car is well protected, next time you decide to give it a quick polish and re wax use a good tar remover and iron remover. This will limit the amount of times you'll need to clay a car, and when you do, there will be very little in the way of bonded contaminants there will be less risk of marring

Golf GTD
If youre car is well protected, next time you decide to give it a quick polish and re wax use a good tar remover and iron remover. This will limit the amount of times you'll need to clay a car, and when you do, there will be very little in the way of bonded contaminants there will be less risk of marring

What products would you recommend? I've read about ObliTARate and IronX (guess I'd need both?) and also Dragons Breath?

It iron x and obliterate wax safe?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Most fallout and tar removers will have a negative affect on most wax or sealants, so only use them when you're planning on re waxing afterwards.

You can use them on a wet or dry panel, it if you allow them to dry they're likely to stain or cause some form of damage, so best to use them on a pre rinsed panel

Golf GTD
Cheers for the advice guys, any crack about Dragons Breath or is it better to get both products seperately?

Also in terms of application would it be oblitarate, rinse and then ironx and rinse or do you put both on together without rinsing?

Final question (in this post anyway) is it easy to spot they're working? I notice on white/light cars the residue turns purple. On a black car this might be hard to spot...

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Dragons breath from VP is just another iron fallout remover, I've never used it so can't recommend it but reviews seem to think it's not as good as ironx

Use tar remover first, DO NOT let it dry. If the tar spots are bad after the first initial spray, spray it again and wipe over with a microfibre then rinse, then use your fallout remover.

You'll struggle to see them working on black paint so just keep a close eye on it