ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new clio 172

Clio 172
Hi all, I bought my 2002 clio 172 in flame Red today. The dealer advertised the bodywork as immaculate but there are a couple of small bubbles on the rear arches. Also, there is no service history.
Now the good bits, the car has only had 2 owners and has only covered 73000 miles.
There is also an invoice for cambelt, aux belt, waterpump and dephaser pulley within the last 2 years (5000 miles) the interior is in really good condition and the car drives without fault. I was so excited before I bought it but I'm now sat thinking that the lack of history and the not quite perfect bodywork man's that the £2500 I paid might be slightly high.
Any views on this would be very helpful
This is the car

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Yeah a bit on the rich side. But there are plenty of cheaper dogs out there.

How bad is the rust.

Welcome btw

Clio 172
Hi, thanks for your reply. The rust isn't bad at all just a couple of small bubbles which haven't broken through the paint. I was hoping to keep it for a year or so, enjoy it and then sell it and recoup my money. That's why I'm a bit concerned I've paid over the odds

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Keep it in good condition mate and by the time you sell nice ones will command a few quid more

Clio 172
Thanks mate. I'll look after it. It does seem to be in great condition. I think I just had a post car purchase panic. It happens every time😂

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
You’ll always gunna pay more buying from a dealer, you’ll have a warranty on it etc though.

2.5k isn’t to bad.

Clio 172
Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes I suppose there's a bit of a safety cushion buying from a dealer. I'm looking forward to owning my 172.it will be fun. Does anyone know of a treatment I can put on the inside of my rear arches to try and stop the rust worsening? I'd heard that unless accident damaged and poorly repaired these clios weren't prone to rust. Am I just unlucky or is rear arch bubbling paint a common thing?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
We're all finding out now that some are just prone, you need to get rear doorcards out and check inside for rot as they tend to rust from the inside out.

2.5 with no history is a little high, but flamer is desirable colour and they're all on the up so wouldn't worry really, you won't loose money unless it's rotten and you have to sink 1500 quid into welding and paint

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Bit high but it's a dealer so to be expected. As above get the rear door cards off for a look. As long as it runs well and you are happy with it that's all that matters.

Looks tidy, front bumper has been painted but panel gaps look ok so assume it just got a freshen up

Clio 172 ph1
Flamers seem to command slightly higher prices, paid close to that for mine with higher mileage.

Like mentioned above take the rear door cards as that is often where the rust starts, and will give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.

Also probably on the to-do list, but maybe some new number plates!

Clio 172
Hi thanks for your reply, I struggled to find any other Flamers for sale so I thought it might be a rarer colour. I was going to change the number plates but when I got there the dealer had changed them. Probably because they were bordering on unreadable😂 I'm loving the car so far. A slightly lumpy idle and louder than my last car but I'm told these are lovable 172 traits.
I gave it some welly down some country roads today and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks again for your comments

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Lumpy idle could be cam timing out if some numpty garage has done the cambelt. Does it still lump when warmed up?

Clio 172
Hi, yes I had another 172 a few years ago and I honestly can't remember what the idle was like as I didn't have it very long. I have read quite a lot that 172's have a bit of a lumpy idle and it's not bad so I'm not too worried. I washed it today and the flamer really looks nice with the sun shining on it. I live between worksop, Rotherham and Sheffield and I was wondering if any members know of anyone local to do any upcoming work on these cars. Someone who works with them a lot would be reassuring or if any members don't live far away and would be able to take a look at and drive my car to see what they think of it overall. There are a couple of things I'd like an informed opinion on.
A) The exhaust (not an aftermarket one) seems quite loud, almost as if it's blowing slightly.
B) I think I can hear a slight whine whilst accelerating, a little bit like the sound you hear when reversing.
As usual any help would be appreciated and thanks to all those that have replied so far.