ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Clio... Needs a bit of a clean

2004 Clio 182
Just bought this, http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148614 scroll down for pictures of the car!

As you can see it deserves a bit of a clean, inside, out and under the hood. As i say i have never cleaned a car properly before so dont know where to start or how to do it well. I dont want to do a 10 stage process that is going to take ages and cost me load, just a few stages with a few products so that the major stuff is looking a lot better.

any recomendations? they said Rich was the man to see :cool:

Monaco Blue Mk2
He is but if you're going to halfords tomorrow then I know Rich's default answer by now. Print this method off and take to halfords as a shopping list! lol

Firstly rinse car. Then,
You will need 2 buckets, fill one with Meguiars gold class shampoo diluted in warm water. Fill the other bucket with cold water.
Wash the car with a lambswool washmitt, dipping in the shampoo then washing a part of the car, then dip into the cold water to get any dirt off mitt, then into shampoo bucket and keep going in that cycle untill whole car is clean.
Rinse the suds off when clean.
Now using Meguiars Quick Clay and spray detailer, clay the car to get all contaminents off, following the instructions on the box...spray detailer generously then rub clay over the surface doing a bit at a time and rinsing off. Keep are that is being clayed well lubricated.
Rinse off when finished and dry with Microfibre towels, not a chamois leather.
If there are light swirls and scratches purchase Meguiars Scratch X and follow directions to apply.
Now, Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, applied to whole car with a cloth and buffed off with a microfibre towell. Once all buffed off apply a thin coat of Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection alow to cure for around 45mins to an hour (giving you a good chance to hoover inside etc) then buff off, if you wish, for more protection, apply another thin coat now leaving 45 mins - 1hr again)
Now you can wax the car using a carnuba wax (if available from halfords, if not the best wax option they have) then buff off with a microfibre.
Finally using Auto Glym Trim & bumper and Meguiars Endurance tyre Gel dress the tyres and plastic trim to finish the car off perfectly.

For the Wheels, wheel arches/liners and your engine bay you want Auto Glym Engine and machine cleaner.

If you don't fancy all of that then you could miss out the clay and scratch x stages and maybe even the AG EGP stage, but like you said it deserves bringing back to glory at least once. And, once you've done one good thorogh clean it will be soooo much easier to clean and keep on top of in future. Is a long days work and fairly expensive but definately worth it.

Now, I just know I'll press 'submit' now and someone will have copied and pasted something similar from somewhere else after me typing all that!!....

Monaco Blue Mk2
Yes get in, no one had! lol

Shopping list;

2 Buckets
Lambswool wash mitt
meguiars gold class shampoo
meguiars quick clay
Plenty of microfibre towels
Meguiars scratch x
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection
Carnuba Wax
Auto Glym plastic and bumper care
Meguiars endurance tyre gel
Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner

A4 Avant & A3
i noticed you mentioned 'not' to use a chamois leather, without meaning to start anything here, just wondering what problems there are with using them rather than a microfibre??
I've been using a chamois & it seems ok (to my untrained eye i might add) and thought they were 'the' thing to dry your car.

I'd be grateful to know what i'm missing out on by not using a microfibre towel.

Cheers

( i know i'm gonna regret asking this as it'll mean a trip to the shop to buy a microfibre towel or 2 or however many you need?????)

106 GTi
Microfiber is quicker - no need to keep wringing it out and rinsing it in the bucket.

Also could be classed as more paintwork friendly, as if you do miss a bit of debris when washing it has the chance of getting drawn into the towels nap, rather than scraped along the paint as it would be with a chamois.

A4 Avant & A3
Ahh you mentioned the word 'Quicker' damn i'm gonna have to buy one now!!
So they are just used as you would a chamois then? and then rinsed out after use in clean water ready for next time? or do they need to be washed in a machine or something?

Also i've seen mentioned about using them to buff after polishing?? how do you clean them after that?

(i'm talking myself into buying 2 now!!)
How much do these cloths cost?

Monaco Blue Mk2
^ You can get all different types, Ideally you want a waffle weave drying towell for drying (Sure Rich will be along with the cheapes/best place to buy from) And then you can packs of 3 from tesco for about a quid, these are good for general purpose, wiping down etc (I do my wheels with them) also pretty decent for buffing polish and wax off.

Monaco Blue Mk2
TomS said:
sounds like a nice list of goodies... but thats a fair bit of dosh!

Yep expensive to buy in one go. Should keep him going for a fair bit though! It's good when you've got all the stuff though to give it a good clean and then keep on top of it.

2004 Clio 182
boyce said:
I dont want to do a 10 stage process that is going to take ages and cost me load

Blue4Ever said:
Yes get in, no one had! lol

Shopping list;

2 Buckets
Lambswool wash mitt
meguiars gold class shampoo
meguiars quick clay
Plenty of microfibre towels
Meguiars scratch x
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish
Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection
Carnuba Wax
Auto Glym plastic and bumper care
Meguiars endurance tyre gel
Auto Glym Engine and Machine Cleaner
lol, only pulling your leg Blue4Ever, Thanks very much for the detailed reply I printed it off, took it with me and picked the bits out of it that i wanted. I am sure i will get the whole list one day.

If you would like to see the results look here;
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=148614&page=2