ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My New Knob...

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
...Gear knob that is!! :eek:

momo.JPG

momo2.JPG

Finishes the interior off a treat :cool:

Chocolate Bar™
mines nicer ;) only joking looks lovely mate, thats from the new range is it not? I have a similar one in the older style withe the perferated metal top and leather bottom. sets off the interior nicely

t0m

Megane 225 Turbo
Was the old one a pain to get off? And that gear surround how does that adhere to the plastic bit? Is it screwed or stuck?

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
t0m said:
Was the old one a pain to get off? And that gear surround how does that adhere to the plastic bit? Is it screwed or stuck?

I like it looks really good!

Please answer tom's questions as i have the same questions :)

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
Its a Momo Race Evo in Aluminium finish - You can get a chrome one too...

It was £45.99 from Tweeks (Remember to ask for the lift reverse model) - I work just round the corner :D

Getting the old one off was a pain - Renault must use very good glue!!

Its not for the faint hearted, but heres a quick guide:

Remove the silver sinsert from the top.

Take a junior hacksaw... and start cutting stright down the middle until you reach the metal stick.

Rip off the leather surrounding the rubber / plastic inner piece.

Then saw off as much plastic as possible until you can fit a pair of mole grips on to the remaining plastic.

Then grip your mole grips around the remaining plastic and yank to the left or right - this should break the bond on the glue and the remaining plastic should be free to lift off.

You can now fit your brand new knob - mine had a grub screw which is tightened once the knob is in place.

As for the surround, it is a Richbrook one - it actually screws in with supplied screws (Not slef tapping). I found that they all screwed in to the gap between the gaitor and the plastic surround - dead easy and looks great!

If you need any more help - PM me.

Cheers!

Chocolate Bar™
you cant actually get the surrounds anymore which has p*ssed me off, specially after seeing yours :dapprove: i'm looking into getting an isotta one made up :)

RenaultSport clio 172 cup
nezza said:
Getting the old one off was a pain - Renault must use very good glue!!

Its not for the faint hearted, but heres a quick guide:

Thanks for the info Nezza, but ya not joking about the "not for faint hearted" i think i would be left with a stick and no knob lol

Nice work!

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
daze said:
can i have this? the one on my 172 is all flakey :D

I would let you have it mate - but I replaced my Mum's worn insert out on her Megane Coupe!

Sorry :dapprove:

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
stephenr said:
Thanks for the info Nezza, but ya not joking about the "not for faint hearted" i think i would be left with a stick and no knob lol

Nice work!

It was kinda scary when I was half way through cutting... All I kept thinking was what if I couldn't remove the ugly white plastic "thing"!!

The end result was definetly worth that "ring pulsing" moment!! :D