ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new toy (GTi content)...

BMW E46 330i Touring
Got up at half 5 on Saturday to drive up to Stoke, where I picked up this:

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

It's the old car of the chairman of 106owners, Fuzzy Orange, and he's looked after it well!

It came with a sunstrip and countless website stickers which have all been removed (FCS one comes off on Sunday). It's also too low at the back, the backbox needs a new rubber mount and the tinted rear lights will be going sharpish! There's a couple little carbon bits which may or may not stay and a black roof which has to stay!

The gearbox is a little whiney, so I'll get that looked at, but she's in fantastic condition. Lots of uprated parts, mint bodywork (not a single dent or ding) and she feels very, very tight.

A marmite car on here but, after a little bit of standardising, she'll be great... I also think that this colour is the rarest GTi colour (?).

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Needs de-chavving but that is infinately better than that rallye heap you were looking at! lol.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Nice little motors these, my mate has one and is looking for a another one (mint one this time)

Where's the best place to look?

Love the colour of yours.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, cheers chaps. Yeah, she's been a bit molested but did admittedly look pretty damn mean when she was used on track. Phil (Fuzzy Orange) sold this to another member on 106owners and bought a 172 Cup I think, so is probably on here somewhere.

Found his original progress thread on the car: http://106owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53701

And how it looked:

3698780766_c2ce7201ce_b.png

The car was resorted to pretty much standard when he sold it on, so some of the touches that looks pretty good on the finished article looked a bit out of place on her when I picked her up.

Dan - absolutely mate! Slightly more monies admittedly, but I'm pleased I looked a bit higher. I think my Ph1 106 fondness is a bit of rose-tinted specs because of my old XSi...

Robbos - I searched for a couple of week on Pistonheads, Autotrader, 106 Rallye Register and 106owners.co.uk. This one popped up for sale on 106o.co.uk on Friday, I called the guy that evening and picked it up Saturday. The "for sale" forum is pretty busy on there though.

rsclio - Ask him what condition his gearbox is in mate and how much he would want for it! Actually, I could do with the front badge, mirror covers and the little sticker that sits in the tailgate lock too!

The colour's Cobalt Blue, although I'm not sure how many were made.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A pair of black mirrors are £30 from euro car parts Ads!

Will freshen it right up!

nice one, i really like them

I would love to have something fun like this to run along side the bora, just the cost of running 2 cars

BMW E46 330i Touring
My thoughts were initially a light spray of blue over the carbon Dan, would that work!?! A bit transparent... kinda.

I was in the same situation Ben. My hand was forced when I realised how much I relied on my Bora when it was sat outside my wife's workplace, 20 miles away! The hunt for a runaround began and I gradually increased my requirements until I ended up looking for one of those cars I've always wanted!

It's genuinely like a little go-kart - point and shoot. Makes the Bora feel huge!

172, BMW 120 Msport.
I was looking at the pic for ages then i clicked on its Phils old car. lol.

Looks loads different now!

Been looked after though.

BMW E46 330i Touring
There's loads of things I want to do - Pugsport, Cyclones / Nimrods, Cams, etc but she's staying as standard as possible. :)

She'll stay lowered, the black roof will stay on, as it's paint, and the Rallye interior will stay (as it looks loads better than the GTi cloth effort!) but that'll be about it...

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
was a nice car back in its day. I would return it back to former glory. Morrretes look awesome on gti's. I would love another one again. By far the best all round car i have owned.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cheers guys, it's interesting that even in the thread people seem divided on how the car looked best!

BMW E46 330i Touring
Lol, punishment.

Cheers mate, I still love Duf but for some reason no other Williams held the same apppeal! Probably because, for the money, they're all rusted or CatD!

Lights are on their way, I think I've sourced a new badge for the boot lock and a colour-coded filler cap and she'll be getting the exhaust mount sorted on Saturday. On the lookout for some mirrors and am considering getting the gearbox swapped before I lose any gear selection...

Am only using it to commute to work and already love it. Alarm constantly going off is annoying though, so have resorted to locking it by key in the door - old skool locking ftw.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Press the little black button on the steering cowel, until the red led comes on. Ultrasonics will disable, then stop you being woke up at 3am! You only forget once :(

BMW E46 330i Touring
Sorry mate, could you make that more into an idiot's guide? Lol.

I park up, turn off the ignition, then press the button? Is this the button on the opposite stalk to the horn? Then I get out and lock by the remote as usual?

This sets the alarm but means only the lights flash I assume?

Cheers! :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeah (off memory its the gf's car) Turn off car as normal, there is a little black button round the ignition key. Press this until a red LED comes on (located l/h side of your clocks). Lock with remote, indicators flash as normal, but the ultrasonics on the A pillars will disable. This is what sets off your alarm, they go faulty ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ive had a GTi and a VTS.

Having trolled forums for many moons i can definatley say for sure that the 1600cc JP4 engine has got to be one of the most under estimated engines going.

True what they say though, theres no opinion like the opinion of someone whos never sat in one never mind drove one :)

Looks lovley mate, i remember when this car had Chronos on it at somepoint.

Enjoy it!

120d M Sport
I was just waiting for you to chime in with the staple Danny_172 answer to all 106 GTi threads: "camshafts and a full exhaust and it'll be keeping with 172's" :)!

330i. E30 Touring.
J4 you mean, Danny.

JP4 was the 307 engine. Pretty much the same engine, but bigger valves.

Last edited:
  clio 172 luna speedl
jp4 head with gti cams, valve springs and lifters doin one saturday with new rings and shells. should be fun!!!

DMS

A thirsty 172
Excellent choice of car. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there aren't many cars you can have quite so much fun in, especially in this price range.
As long as it doesn't keep breaking, it'll be VERY cheap to run as well.

320d
Soft spot for these. Nearly bought one a while back.

Pugsport, Newman cams, Map, Janspeed manifold, Raceland induction kit, 406 Brembo's and coilovers was the spec I was hoping to achieve.