ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new toy

Citroen DS3 DSport
35Mhz for now but what it is I do not know as I don't collect the heli until this Sunday. Prob not worth investing in 2.4Ghz until I'm sure I'll stick at it.

After 3 days I've already improved in the simulator. I've just had a try with a Raptor 30 model and find it much easier to hover, not perfect but not a bad attempt either.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Not had a chance to see the guy who is selling this to me yet :(

With any luck he'll make an appearance this Sunday.

Fortunately while I'm waiting I'm improving using the sim.

Is it worth me buying a Spektrum DX6i 2.4GHz radio to replace the 35mhz equipment I'm buying with the Raptor? The DX6i can be bought for under £100. How much could I realistically sell the old radio equipment for?

Not had a chance to see the guy who is selling this to me yet :(

With any luck he'll make an appearance this Sunday.

Fortunately while I'm waiting I'm improving using the sim.

Is it worth me buying a Spektrum DX6i 2.4GHz radio to replace the 35mhz equipment I'm buying with the Raptor? The DX6i can be bought for under £100. How much could I realistically sell the old radio equipment for?

I would get either the Sprekrum DX7 or Futaba 7C Tx?
You will soon find you want/need 7 channels, so I'd keep the 35Mhz untill then If I where you :)

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
What would I be using the 7th channel for?

I think there is roughly a £140 difference between the DX6i and DX7. The DX7 does come with servos though.

What would I be using the 7th channel for?

The 7th channel is used for a Governor, or other things if you decide to put a "scale" body on it at some point?

I bought a Futaba 6ex fasst tx, then had to upgrade...
its up to you, the DX6i or 6ex will both work well on the Raptor 30 :)

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
I've been downloading some demos for other helicopter sim software and I think I may buy Phoenix, graphically it is far better than G3.5

Clearview looks good too but Phoenix gets good reviews from other heli owners.

I've been downloading some demos for other helicopter sim software and I think I may buy Phoenix, graphically it is far better than G3.5

Clearview looks good too but Phoenix gets good reviews from other heli owners.

Yeah you wont go wrong with Phoenix, its a great Heli sim, planks are good too lol ;)

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
I was attempting to fly a jet earlier tonight on Realflight. Easier than the helicopters but I can't land them :D

Yeah good fun, Phoenix has a Hawk turbine, great fun, bloody expensive IRL though, a new turbine is around £3000 on its own

Citroen DS3 DSport
That was my original plan but I was talked out of it by most people I chatted with, especially members of the club I will join.

I've flown the CX2 in the simulator and found it very easy to fly in comparison to the Raptor or similar models. The simulator is apparently very accurate so I'll make use of the CX2 there. For the price a real CX2 would cost me I'm buying the full Raptor 30 model with radio gear.

how many servos are on these?

one for throttle
one for left and right
one for front back?

On the Raptors there are 5 servo's

3 are for cyclic and pitch on main Rotor
1 is for throttle and 1 is for tail Rotor (rudder)

On the little CX2's there are only 2 servos I think, 1 for left/right and 1 for forward/back on the swashplate (cyclic)
All the other movements (up/down and rudder) are controlled by the ESC

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
Still not got this :( I've never seen the guy back at the club since the time he offered to sell me his Raptor 30. I'm hoping he still intends to sell me it but if not I am looking at other options.

To buy new I'll be looking at between £500-£600 for a Raptor 30 package inc 2.4GHz radio.

An alternative idea would be to buy either a Blade 400 or a Trex 450s electric helicopter. What would you recommend? Electric or Nitro?

Thanks

EDIT:

Looking at the cost comparison I'd imagine both options would be of a similar amount.
http://www.fast-lad.co.uk/store/trex_ultimate_combo-p-2259.html

Add the tx to that and it's easily £550 if I buy the DX6i.

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
An update for all those of you who couldn't care less :D

The secondhand Raptor sale fell through so I've started to buy everything I need from new.

I bought Phoenix sim and a Spektrum DX7 transmitter last week complete with digital servos and reciever. Today I have ordered the Raptor 30 v2 Kit and also a Futaba GY401 Gyro with S9254 servo. Cost to date is £660. Ouch!

In 4 weeks time I'll order a OS 37 engine with silencer and my basic spend is complete.

Not a cheap hobby this RC Heli thing, is it ;)
Most 30/50 nitro heli's, with all things required (including fuel, starting gear, electrics and Tx) are around £800-£1000 new.

Good call on the Raptor, you can't really go wrong with a Raptor and good call with the 7 channel, much better than the 6's, enjoy

Simon

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm sure I will enjoy it. Phoenix is excellent, a definite improvement over Realflight G3.5

I had a proper look at the DX7 and Futaba 7C and of the two the DX7 looked nicer and had a better feel to the sticks.

With starting gear etc I'll have paid roughly £960 all in.

Thanks for all the advice.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I'm more into R/C cars (electric and nitro), but there was a stage when I wanted a heli so I bought a cheap electric one to see if I liked it.

Well, 8 months or so later it's still sitting on a shelf after two small flying sessions where it stayed off the ground for seconds and never went higher than a foot.. I was too scared to take it up in fear that it would come down and cause loads of damage to things (and myself!).

Ah well, PicooZ will do me... oh yeah, I broke both of mine.

Have fun flying.. I wish I could lol.

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm sure I'll love it, the simulator has helped lots.

My Raptor kit arrived at my work this morning, will wait and unpack it when I get home. :)

ex Clio 172 owner :(
I always liked the idea of these and spent £100 on one off ebay.

Stacked it the first night and the motor caught fire!

Stick with my PicoZ now.

I think you get what you pay for. Spend a lot and it will probably be better but then there's more money to trash.

Check out this video on youtube of a real helicopter. Always make me chuckle. Lucky! Pretty much like my first attempt on the rc one.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
Since first seeing this thread I've charged my lithium batt and got out in the garden.. after re-trimming it all I can just about hover it a foot or so! :D

Weird.. before I guess I just never really tried.

Walker Dragonfly 4 (probably most common on eBay?).

Citroen DS3 DSport
I hope you are still enjoying it and have not crashed yet :)

I've had an enjoyable bank holiday weekend. I attended a heli fly day yesterday and it inspired me to begin my own build.

Progress to date:

raptor_build_b.jpg

A couple of pics from the heli day:

DSC02064.jpg

DSC02004.jpg

DSC02038.jpg

DSC02073.jpg

Citroen DS3 DSport
Starting to look more like a helicopter now :)

This was my progress up to last Thursday night, not had a chance to do anymore since then.

raptor_build_d.jpg

Citroen DS3 DSport
My Raptor had its maiden flight yesterday and now my nerves require replacement. Scary stuff. Flight times were short as the engine was burning up within 3 minutes of been in the air and the power would suddenly drop. I'm told this is normal with a new engine and that it will settle down. It cooled down quickly if left to idle for a couple of minutes.

Raptor150608.jpg

raptor_150608.jpg

Citroen DS3 DSport
The secondhand Raptor sale fell through so I've started to buy everything I need from new.

I bought Phoenix sim and a Spektrum DX7 transmitter last week complete with digital servos and reciever. Today I have ordered the Raptor 30 v2 Kit and also a Futaba GY401 Gyro with S9254 servo. Cost to date is £660. Ouch!

In 4 weeks time I'll order a OS 37 engine with silencer and my basic spend is complete.

Byron, quoted here is my earlier post regarding cost. In total I've now spent close to £800 with the items I decided to purchase but it can all be bought for less.

Last edited:
  Citroen DS3 DSport
I was surprised how well it flew yesterday in windy conditions, very well in the hands of a more experienced pilot.

I'd have crashed it :D

I was surprised how well it flew yesterday in windy conditions, very well in the hands of a more experienced pilot.

I'd have crashed it :D

yeah but your raptor will fly so much better in windy conditions ;)

I only fly my Trex 450s (mind you it does have a hughes 500e scale body on it) when the wind is light....no fun at all in wind, it can fly, but no fun for me battling the wind.... ;)

RS RIP
wooooooow i have to get one of these (+someone to fly it!!!) when our CEO gives another of his famous "the business is down the drain, we are going to cut down everywhere !" speeches :D:D