ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My OSX dilema [possible r****d content]

So I'm all like wanting to do a fresh install of OSX. The problem is that I have lost my DVD. I have the DVD for my 13" MBP. Can I use this to reinstall my 17"?

If I wait until Lion is released and update through the App Store, is that pretty much a full system install anyway? In other words will the system be as fresh as a new install, or will it be like a pikey Windows-style upgrade?

Danke.

You can use that disc for the 17". No problemo.

With SL it just gave you the option to upgrade. So you had to wipe the drive and start fresh. Not sure how it will work as it's coming from the App Store. Don't see any reason why you can't start from scratch manually. A lot of people will want to keep Lion on a usb key or something anyway.

Ok thanks. I was a little concerned that the 13" disc may not support the different hardware in the 17". Not really up to speed on how OSX works in terms of drivers etc. (I never normally need to know lol).

So, use the 13" MBP disc to do a fresh setup of Snow Leopard, then just update to Lion via App Store. Seems the best bet? I have all my personal data backed up ion Time Machine anyway so I guess I can't lose much.

I never installed a full fresh install from leopard to snow leopard, just put the disc in and updated.

Yes but I want to a fresh system 100%. I'm noticing some slight unresponsiveness lately, and I have also just had an app install without putting it's icon in the App folder/stack (it is actually in my apps folder in finder, just not the stack)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
It's just a generic OS X disc AFAIK, Roy !

I presume I can buy a Lion in an Apple store and have an actual disc to call my own ? The thought of it being on a USB stick which goes AWOL or gets formatted by a donut (Hi..) doesn't do much for me TBH. (Yes I'm aware a DVD is easy enough to lose too).

Yes but I want to a fresh system 100%. I'm noticing some slight unresponsiveness lately, and I have also just had an app install without putting it's icon in the App folder/stack (it is actually in my apps folder in finder, just not the stack)

Well you can do that too. I'll be wanting Lion on a disc anyway, multi user licence for the 2 macbooks and the mini.

Last edited:

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hokay.

*twiddles thumbs*

how-does-a-lion-hunt-a-giraffe-easy-on-stilts.jpg

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, just use the disc from your other MBP.

Or use Migration Assistant and a FW800 to mirror the data? I've done this recently from my iMac to my MBP. It saved me about a day.

My install disc clearly says 13" MBP on it, although I guess the software on it is smart enough to do whatever it needs to do with the hardware.

Ok thanks for the help. I reckon I may well just wait for Lion and see what happens. That link for making the boot disk is promising.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
The 13" disc wont work, i tried it on a mates 17" recently and it spat it out.

The super slow Clio!
Was doing the same with my Mac Pro and MBP disk.. It's a C**T! Really annoying and just makes me want to downloaded a cracked ersion, but I said I'd wait for Lion..

But Lion is taking its sweet ass time coming out!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What Tom said.

The discs bundled with machines are not retail discs, they're tied to that specific model number.

Archive and install is what you'll be wanting to do Roy.

Archive and install is what you'll be wanting to do Roy.

Sorry for my retardation, but could you be a bit clearer with that mate? I've never experienced this kind of stuff with Apple machines before so I don't really know what I'm doing. Is that an option when you do an install? Do you think I should just wait for Lion and then do this? It's not like my machine is f**ked or anything so it can wait.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Sorry for my retardation, but could you be a bit clearer with that mate? I've never experienced this kind of stuff with Apple machines before so I don't really know what I'm doing. Is that an option when you do an install? Do you think I should just wait for Lion and then do this? It's not like my machine is f**ked or anything so it can wait.

There are a number of different ways to install OS X. If you want a nice new shiny installation, but want to "keep" the old system then you should do an archive and install, this installs a nice new fresh copy of OS X but moves your previous installation to a folder on the drive. This way you get a nice clean install, but can access the previous installation to copy files. When you're sure that you're done with the old installation, you can just delete it to free up your drive space again. There are 2 "archive" modes, one which will restore your user directory to what it was previously. The second mode doesn't, so you'd need to copy across any files yourself.

Other options are erase and install which will wipe everything before the install happens, beware!

Basically you have all the options in all the colours you could possibly want.

Ok cheers. Sounds easy enough. I think I will do a full 100% clean install and then pull my data back from Time Machine.

Yeah the coloured discs that come with macs are locked to a specific hardware setup and won't work on any other mac

Lion when it comes out is download only and Apple have confirmed you won't be able to do a blank install with it - you have to install Snow Leopard first and then install Lion from the App Store

To be honest just buy yourself a copy of Snow Leopard - you can use the purchased version on any mac and they cost like £20

Is that fact or speculation? I ask because Revels posted a link earlier in the thread explaining how to burn a bootable Lion disc.

Cheers I've just bought it. So I can use it for both my MBPs? There's no license or activation issues like there would be with Windows?

Surely if I obtain it without paying then it's illegal? I dunno.

Anyway thanks for the offer dude but I've already bought a copy now.

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
If you bought a Mac with Snow Leopard on it I'm pretty sure you're allow to make a copy of the restore disc. So I'm sure you could download it from the internet and install it without breaking the law.

Yeah I suppose I could have tried usenet, but I'm not breaking her out tonight. Nah man. It's cos I'm goin' legit, homes.

OSX is awesome as f**k. I didn't get any install options, I guess because it's basically an upgrade disc. Nevertheless, it's reinstalled flawlessly and left everything intact. It's even greyed out a couple of app icons because they're not compatible with this version (updating it all now). The small issues I was having are fixed, and it's back up to speed again. Nice and nippy.

This the first time I've had to bother with OS installs/fixes on a Mac, and as with everything else Apple, it's complete piece of piss. I can only imagine how windows would handle the incompatibility of newer apps with an older system. It would probably sit there for 20 minutes with that little torch waving around, and then crash.

Go Steve! x

WTF? Got eyes?

I wanted to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard before installing Lion. As it turns out I don't think I've really gained much at all, and I should probably have just waited for Lion. f**k it though. It's only money. Just have to make sure I burn a little bit less of it this week.

There are a few tutorials for making a bootable lion - but they aren't supported by apple and based on pre-release code

I don't see the point - takes about 5 minutes to do a full clean snow leopard install and anyone with broadband will hardly have a problem with going on the app store and downloading lion to install...