ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My RenaultSport Clio 200 Owners Review

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Hi all,

i thought I'd write a review on my experience on ownership of the Renaultsport Clio 200. Not sure if it will be of interest to many of you, but I thought it may be good help for those who have a 172/182 or a 197 maybe thinking of upgrading.
I've driven the car many miles already, clocking up a yearly average within 6 months; this has also included a South of France 2500 mile drive in 14 days.

2012 Renaultsport Clio 200 FF. Recaro's and Cup Chasis extras.

These cars are so well though out by Renault, you can really see why these win hot hatch of the year awards.

ive owned a PH-One 172 for a few years, so I'm comparing it to that to in areas.

The handling and brakes;
I think the Cup Chasis is a must to get the real 'hot hatch' feel, with the car being so firm and direct in handling, it really gives you confidence through a bend. I feel in control of the car, there's no light, skippy back end feel to it, it's a really stable car. It almost makes you loose sense of the speed your doing, I think this is where the cars get the negative comments for not 'feeling' as quick as a 1*2, there no fight as such with the car to keep it under control, whereas with a 1*2 your re-adjusting to keep the back end in line. Then, there the brakes, these brembos really just finish that department off, there's so much feel and bite to them, unless your doing trackdays, there's no need to upgrade the pads or disks, as standard they're more than capable to handle to odd back road blast up mountains.
The Negative; the Cup Chasis is quite a stiff option, if you get onto your average bumpy road, then it really is bumpy and uncomfortable, leaving you to slow down even further to avoid as much as possible. I can see why some people do not want the Cup option if they are that little older or do tend to use the back seats for passengers on regular occasions.
Ending on a high, I'm 21 and love the stiff suspension :)

Engine:
Ive always been one for a naturally aspirated, high revving engines, the Clio engine does it perfect!
You can't beat the sound of an engine producing more power the higher it revs, especially with the Clio 200 sounding so grunty, cammy (assuming its a word) up on the high RPM. The 6 speed gearbox compliments it perfect, keeping the car in band on each gear change, I found that the 5 speed in the 172 felt a little long and the rev dropped a considerable amount on each change, and with the lower set rev limiter.
I can see where people say 'the Clio 197/200 doesn't feel quick, it does feel as if the car could do with more power, but
i feel that with every car, everyone wants more. More is more expensive and this when when being a 'cheap' hot hatch would become expensive. This is when you look at the speedo and realise what actual speed you are doing, i cannot express how well built the Chasis side of the car is. I always see myself getting carried away then as soon as I look down, I find myself easing off the throttle quite quickly.

Combing them both; This is where I agree the car doesn't feel as quick, or so to speak 'rewarding' as a 1*2 because you loose the sense of speed, the car gives you so much confidence, it leaves me thinking where are its limits? You really have to push the car or do something drastically wrong to crash or come near to it. Obviously I'm referring to all this from road driving, no flat out track sessions/days where you can go to the limits, and probably get on them quite easy. I'm giving my opinion as an everyday use car and the back road blast for the average buyer. There's night and day difference comparing the 200 to the 1*2's for handling and brakes. It's the straight line that is very very similar, and the 1*2 having the weight advantage.

Interior;
we'll it's my first brand new car, and coming from a ph1 172 it's quite an upgrade.
Yes, it's quite plastic built inside, but it's functional. The car has everything inside that I need, the climate control, air con, cruise control, speed limiter, alloy pedals and the Recaro's. I don't feel there's too much to say about the seats as people know what they are,
i love them and wouldn't have the car without them, they look amazing and feel amazing to sit in. Driving hours on end in a day and I still feel flexible and not numb. But as I've said, some people find them too thin or can't justify the price of them. So that's personally preference.
Its nice and quiet inside while on a motorway run, no wind noise or just general noises inside the cabin, it's pretty quiet
and relaxing to drive whereas I found the 172 becoming a bit tedious on a long run.

Then the day to day questions.

I average 34Mpg in the Clio on my daily commute on 60Mph B roads, no stop/start traffic involved.
i know some rant at the poor Mpg, but it completely depends on your commute. In this current cold month, the car has gone down, averaging around the 29-30mpg. Best I've managed is 418 miles to a tank before getting scared and pulling in to put fuel in.

Tax, £249 for the year.

Tyres, totally depends on how you want to spend your money. 215/45-17 tyres.
You can go at the top end and pay £260 for a pair of continental sport contact 3,
mid range tyres such as the Hankook evo V12 for £180 for a pair,
then down to the rock bottom budget tyres for £45 a tyre, which I would not recommend on a car that's known for its handling.

Insurance, I found the 200 cheaper to insure than a 197, i think it's down to the 4 seats, rather than the 5 in the 197.
im 21 with a clean licence and I'm paying around the £700, just under, that's fully comp :)

after a long day in work, realising you get to drive it home puts a smile back on your face; that's if your commute involves a country road drive, not a bumper to bumper city drive.

I think that's most things covered?

Hope it's of some use to CS

Thanks

Gez :)

197 RB
A really good read and accurate comparison. I've had a 172 Cup in the past and now have a 197. Agree with what you've said about brakes and chassis. I think a lot of people's put a lot of emphasis on the straight line speed - or lack - over an advantage over a 1*2 with the 197/200. The comparison tends to stop there. I've no doubt the mk3 is a more capable car and certainly faster from A to B but lack does that the raw edge of the 1*2.

After saying all that I do want another mk2 for a weekend plaything. Make of that what you will.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110

i can see if it was just a weekend toy, the 1*2 are cheaper, and 'raw'

Gez, I've just brought a 200 non cup with recaro's and agree so far on my very short ownership that the quality over the 1*2 has vastly improved.

Brakes are good! Recaro's i love as like you, young and slim built and like a stiff chassis and ride.

Its definitely not as raw as my last 182 but its more grown up and i feel a more capable car. I'll see how things go :)

Suzuki Jimny
Nice accurate review. 99% of the time I don't want a car that feels 'raw', so the 200 is perfect for me :)

Clio 182 Cup
Nice! Just looking into a 197...... Any advice for me? It will be my daily driver, coming from a 182 FF Cup.....

SG boost'd 200
Nice! Just looking into a 197...... Any advice for me? It will be my daily driver, coming from a 182 FF Cup.....

If i were you, I'd test drive a cup and a FF....Ive got a FF 197 and love everything about it! But do check the gearbox as early 197's are prone to the syncro's going on them, due to renault making them from French cheese!
Alot of 197 have had the box replaced or beefed up syncro's, so check on that!
Also check the belts have been done as it isnt such a cheap job!

Clio 182 Cup
If i were you, I'd test drive a cup and a FF....Ive got a FF 197 and love everything about it! But do check the gearbox as early 197's are prone to the syncro's going on them, due to renault making them from French cheese!
Alot of 197 have had the box replaced or beefed up syncro's, so check on that!
Also check the belts have been done as it isnt such a cheap job!

Test drove both- had belts done on my 182 so I know about cost!

Thanks Drafting

Clio 182 Cup
Test drove both- had belts done on my 182 so I know about cost!

Thanks Drafting

Have an UR 197 with Cup suspension and Recaros now. Completely different animal to my 182, built quality, integrity and handling wise.

Still miss my 182...... But learning to love to this one for what it is.....

Clio 200
Totally agree with the ease at which you can suddenly realise you're doing silly speeds.
The last truly similar experience I had was with my 205 GTi. Having owned a 205 GTi 1.6, 3 x 205 GTi 1.9s, Clio 16V, 306 GTi-6, Civic Type-R Mk 1, 2 & 3 and more recently Clio 197 and now 200, it is praise indeed to be able to compare it to a true hot-hatch icon.
In fact its destined to become an icon in its own right, in my humble opinion.