ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Track Rat

Turbos.
Soon after i sold the Mini i bought myself an Elise to use this Summer, primarily to pack in some track day action in between races. I've owned it for a few weeks but today was the first time i actually saw it! I met it at Brands to have some instruction with my old man.

TrackRatElise001.jpg

The car is an ex-Lotus Trophy car and hadn't been used much in the last year. Externally, it's as rough as a badger's arse so nothing special to look at. It was a bargain though, and i was particularly interested because it had everything already on it (i.e. i won't spend thousands modifying it!)

So, turned up to a sunny Brands to see an array of other cars. There were a couple of Clios and Megane, the latter of which had different exhausts. They were R26s but sounded like diesels!

TrackRatElise017.jpg

The car is the same Azure Blue as on my dad's Motorsport car, but is missing about half the paint and requires a good polish before the colour looks its best.

TrackRatElise016.jpg

My rep goes up, look how many tracks i've been too...

TrackRatElise008.jpg

TrackRatElise003.jpg

You may have noticed my seamless chicken wire modification, which was done by a fuel leak fire a while back.

TrackRatElise007.jpg

And some damage from a wall at Spa, even more kudos.

TrackRatElise002.jpg

The missus will love the rollcage...

TrackRatElise005.jpg

But although it looks a dog's dinner, mechanically it is very tight. It has Nitrons, Motorsport ARBS and A048s so despite being down on power (supposedly 160bhp!), it was one of the fastest cars in the session.

TrackRatElise012.jpg

TrackRatElise014.jpg

Unfortunately over exuberance meant the exhaust fell apart by the afternoon, which made a hell of a racket. Got a lot of fumes in the car too!

Then my old man put in the gravel. The best/worst bit about his driving is his total commitment, unfortunately that often means the red flag is out with him LOL.

TrackRatElise019.jpg

Anyway, i was surprised it drove so well so i'm going to get it cosmetically looking tidy again before i look at an engine rebuild and general refresh...looking forward to some continued sunshine!

172, Tiguan
So you bought one that's had thousands spent on it so you don't spend thousands, only you're going to spend thousands on it anyway.

Good lad.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I like the roughed up look, gives it more of a one-purpose-only look.

Plus it's man damage, not a parking ding in a car park.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Facking love it mate! I'm sure you'll have mega fun!

The cage looks like it just comes from the driver seat right through the cabin! Love it!

Having no children and more money than sense... priceless!

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Looks great; very purposeful! (sp)

Jealous :dapprove:

Turbos.
It cost me £10k. If it was a tidy car, that would about right for a bone stock Elise. A nice 160 would be about £15k, so considering mine has mods on top of that, i think it was a bargain (although i haggled down from £12k).

Cupra
Ace. Looks like great fun. How does it compare to the Exige?

LOL at the Megane Diesels. You'll have half of Meganesport up in arms about that, although I agree 100%.

Turbos.
The Motorsport car is so well developed then it is unfair to compare really, it drives like a single seater with a bodyshell.

It drove really nicely though for what it is. The S1 has a short ratio gearbox which is nice to use, and it had loads of grip. Of course feedback is great and the lift off oversteer issues have been ironed out in the main, but being mid-engined you still have to be careful if you tip it into a corner on little or no throttle. Everything is nice and progressive, whereas the Motorsport car has a more dramatic transition to oversteer because it has a higher grip threshold (mainly down to aero).

I literally thought the Meganes were diesels until i saw the R26 decals!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
looks awesome, i'd leave it like that and just keep it as it is and abuse it!