ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My turbo at Llandow today, epic fun.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Absolutely buzzing this evening, just had such an epic day with my turbo at Llandow today.
It was great fun at bedford a couple of weeks ago which I expected but to be honest I took it to llandow today purely cause my mk1 wasn't ready as I was thinking that the power of the turbo would be a bit wasted on such a small circuit in the wet so hadnt originally planned to take it, but it just wasnt wasted at all it was epic :)

Massive thanks to everyone who helped organise the day, mainly jay and tony but also all the guys at the circuit who marshalled in the rain etc.

Lost count of how many sessions I did in the end, such a good value day, I do remember taking out all these people for a session (or more than one session in some cases)

Mick
Pete
Luke
Graham
Jay
Tony
Lesley
James
Nick
Sharkey

Plus Lesley did a few sessions driving and James did one driving too.

Had to touch it once with a screwdriver to adjust a boost pipe, and had to fill it with fuel but other than that was faultless. Really makes all the hard work me and danlp6 put in over xmas feel worth it.

Totally forgot to get any video or pictures so if anyone else did get any pics could you let me know please.

180.5 bhp 172
Absolutely buzzing this evening, just had such an epic day with my turbo at Llandow today.
It was great fun at bedford a couple of weeks ago which I expected but to be honest I took it to llandow today purely cause my mk1 wasn't ready as I was thinking that the power of the turbo would be a bit wasted on such a small circuit in the wet so hadnt originally planned to take it, but it just wasnt wasted at all it was epic :)

Massive thanks to everyone who helped organise the day, mainly jay and tony but also all the guys at the circuit who marshalled in the rain etc.

Lost count of how many sessions I did in the end, such a good value day, I do remember taking out all these people for a session (or more than one session in some cases)

Mick
Pete
Luke
Graham
Jay
Tony
Lesley
James
Nick
Sharkey

Plus Lesley did a few sessions driving and James did one driving too.

Had to touch it once with a screwdriver to adjust a boost pipe, and had to fill it with fuel but other than that was faultless. Really makes all the hard work me and danlp6 put in over xmas feel worth it.

Totally forgot to get any video or pictures so if anyone else did get any pics could you let me know please.

facebook_like_button_big.jpeg

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
When you move up north chip, if you ever do oulton then let me know. I NEED to see this car

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Ha ha, thanks mate :)

It wasn't hanging around, the way it accelerated away was comical!

Was yours the 62 plate red 200? If so that was going pretty well too, and thanks for being so courteous moving over etc :) Brave man taking something that new on track!

Looking forward to seeing this car eventually haha

Well its out pretty often so Im sure you'll see it at a trackday soon mate.

I'm not a fan of turbo Clios. Apart from Chips.

Was awesome on track, cheers for the ride mate.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, I was pretty confident it was going to change your perception of what a turbo car can be like in terms of the control that its possible to achieve :)

What's up with the Mk.1? Or have you just not had time to work on it?

Glad to see the turbo is still living up to it's expectations ;)

Mk1 just isnt finished yet mate, partly because the turbo is so much fun its been distracting me, partly cause of extra work commitments and partly because the ECU that Im using really doesnt want to work with the renault crank sender which is causing me pain and making it take longer (no one has ever put one of those ECU's onto a williams or 172 engine as far as im aware so it may just not be compatible, its a bit of a trial and error thing im going with it)

Do you take/have the cameras on?

I took them and then just didnt get round to fitting them, first session there didnt seem any point as it was under yellow flag to begin with etc and then I was just so busy going in and out I simply forgot :(

When you move up north chip, if you ever do oulton then let me know. I NEED to see this car

Will do mate, after llandow today Im feeling pretty confident about taking on any circuit with it really, it was great at bedford in the dry, which I expected as its so open and lots of big straights, but with how well it coped today with one of the UK smallest circuits in the wet, I just feel like I can use it anywhere really now!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the ride, Chip. And congratulations on creating an absolutely stunning Clio. Probably one of (if not the) best progressive turbo'd cars I've ever been in and I thoroughly enjoyed the laps. Even on a small circuit like Llandow in the wet (is it ever NOT wet?) it just tore it up and flew round. Awesome. :D

172 Race Car
Thanks for the ride today. I was expecting to be blown away by the speed but wasn't. Instead i was amazed at the driveability and the pull in 3rd/4th.

Bat s**t mental

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Aww! Last ones were good. I need to see this when you come up to the East Mids

Im sure I will be at meets in it mate so that shouldnt be an issue.

Thanks for the ride, Chip. And congratulations on creating an absolutely stunning Clio. Probably one of (if not the) best progressive turbo'd cars I've ever been in and I thoroughly enjoyed the laps. Even on a small circuit like Llandow in the wet (is it ever NOT wet?) it just tore it up and flew round. Awesome. :D

Thanks for the ride today. I was expecting to be blown away by the speed but wasn't. Instead i was amazed at the driveability and the pull in 3rd/4th.

Bat s**t mental

Thanks lads, really nice to hear people who's opinions I respect like you both "getting" it so much in terms of what I was trying to achieve with it, which was never for it to be the fastest car in the world in a straight line etc, it was always just to be useable on track which means it has to be controllable :)
In an ideal world I'd fit an N/A 4 litre lexus V8 under the bonnet and still be FWD, but as there isnt enough space, a very well controlled 2.0 turbo is a close second :)

Chip thanks for the ride, having been in it last year and then today they are two completely different cars. I was just completely blown away by how responsive and driveable it was as well as how mental quick it was. The car was awesome even in the confines of Llandow.

182 Cup
thanks for the ride chip, was completley bonkers! Like I said in the car, the way it puts power down is so smooth! Credit to your mapping where its due!

I -really- want some Recaros now though lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip thanks for the ride, having been in it last year and then today they are two completely different cars. I was just completely blown away by how responsive and driveable it was as well as how mental quick it was. The car was awesome even in the confines of Llandow.

Thanks pete, it really does feel "finished" now engine wise :)

Just need better brakes now and then can get back to working on the Mk1 instead.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
thanks for the ride chip, was completley bonkers! Like I said in the car, the way it puts power down is so smooth! Credit to your mapping where its due!

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it.

I -really- want some Recaros now though lol

They are a great seat for a clio, cheapest place to find them is from an Evo, although they dont tip forward then so it depends if you want people in the back or not if its worth paying extra for the trophy ones.

ALY

Focus RS & Clio 172
Just had a little blast from the past - I very nearly bought that very plate (L2OUD) direct from the DVLA back in circa 2001/2002 when I was doing a lot of ICE competitions!

Was thinking about it the other day while looking through some old photos - Ended up using the money for a 7" monitor and Playstation in the car instead!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just had a little blast from the past - I very nearly bought that very plate (L2OUD) direct from the DVLA back in circa 2001/2002 when I was doing a lot of ICE competitions!

Was thinking about it the other day while looking through some old photos - Ended up using the money for a 7" monitor and Playstation in the car instead!

i bought it in 2002, small world.
a mate of mine had l3oud on her corsa too.

182cup & 172 racecar
Just found this thread lol.

Chip, my hat is off to you sir.

A very drivable turbo, and I was very impressed how it could be held "just on throttle" with no feeling of lag etc.

Plus it just made me giggle.;)

Well done.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just found this thread lol.

Chip, my hat is off to you sir.

Thanks mate :)

A very drivable turbo, and I was very impressed how it could be held "just on throttle" with no feeling of lag etc.

Yes around the gluepot I was able to hold it on a balanced throttle to keep it settled just like you would an N/A car and couldnt on most turbos, I knew you would have noticed :)

Plus it just made me giggle.;)

Well done.

:)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The fact this car is a black ph1 makes it even better, I want to have a nose at it one day.

i was to tempted to buy it the 1st time it went up for sale!

Tbh it's a very different car now. I've spent about 6k more since i bought it to make it what it is now.

172 Race Car
Yes, that was impressive too. Altho if a poo has been loosened by the impressive boost you could be in trouble introducing a massage to the buttocks