ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N95 8GB or iPhone?

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've got an N95 8GB turning up today, but I've just realised I can get the iPhone for just £5 a month more and can get the iPhone itself with discount through work, I can also sell my 16GB Touch to cut the cost of the iPhone (16GB) in half. I am however going to miss a decent camera on my phone, opinions??

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm biased and will vote for the iPhone but it really is all down to personal preference. If you already own a Touch then you know what to expect with the iPhone. If a camera is important to you then stick with the N95. With a 3G iPhone likely to appear soon I'd not rush out to buy one right now, the camera may also improve as the new chip used can support upto 5MP.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'm not getting any free internet access with the N95, whereas with the iPhone I do. N95 £30 p/m 500 min 100 txt, iPhone £35 p/m 600 min 500 txt free internet wifi spots.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Why not?

O2's £35 min plan(and above) includes one free bolt on, which if you are fairly savvy should be a unlimited internet bundle. (Ok so no wifi, but thats hardly an issue)

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I can get unlimited internet with the N95 8GB for free from Vodafone for £35 p/m, so I see your point Tom.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Deals are available all over the place dude.
Plus 02 will price match or do better deals for upgrades.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I can get unlimited internet with the N95 8GB for free from Vodafone, so I see your point Tom.

I thought about the iphone myself however;

I cant text as fast with it
I cant send MMS
I cant use navigation
I cant send a recieve files to it nor can i bluetooth things to it
I cant take decent pictures when im out
I cant browse the web at decent speeds when im out of wifi range

these are things i need.

However with an iPT and my N82 i have the best of both worlds.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
So if I get Vodafone to change my deal to be with unlimited internet, keep the N95 8GB and install Jokuspot on it, I can use my iPT or laptop, or whatever for free on the internet using the phone?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yup, jokuspot has WEP now so its even secure.

Vodafone T&C's

Monthly web browsing pack cannot be used for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services such as Skype or Peer-to-Peer services (such as instant messenger services, text messaging clients or file sharing).

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yup, jokuspot has WEP now so its even secure.

Vodafone T&C's

Monthly web browsing pack cannot be used for Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services such as Skype or Peer-to-Peer services (such as instant messenger services, text messaging clients or file sharing).

I'd only use it for browsing, so I'd be fine. Cheers Tom.

Mini Cooper S
Lets be honest though, WI FI, are you gonna sit about to try and go online if you're out and about? I don't see the point having internet on the phone, becuase I've got it at the house. Only use my phone for Phoning, Text and Camera phone. I have the Black Nokia N95, all I can say is - It's rather splendid. :)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
iv moved to voda with the N95 8GB. its a cracking phone! really impressed with it!

i like the iphone also though, but i think the N95 is the better spec'd phone, its just not as cool as the iphone, especialy the UI.

battery is really good on the 8gb tho, iv had 3 days decent use out of it and its still had half the charge left!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've got the N95 8GB now, but I'm struggling to warm to it, I think maybe my iPod Touch has spoilt me, I can't help but think the iPhone will suit me better. I'll give the N95 a day or two then may send it back.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
well I choped it in today and got a 16GB iPhone :) N95 8GB too f**king slow and not very good IMHO.

Shed.
Owned an ipod touch and i know 2 people with the iphone. IMO theyre total crap, features are good but the touch screen is annoying as i personally dont like it.

Go with N95, i am.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
touchscreen is the best thing about iphone, it's easily the best touchscreen thats avalible and has been in years. mms is avalible on it now so thats helpas and tbh the edge service isn't as bad as evyerone makes out, my emails download in a more than acceptable time. Best thing to do is get one, jailbreak it, order an upgrade on your current tariff and sell it, thus getting iphone for free.

Citroen DS3 DSport
touchscreen is the best thing about iphone, it's easily the best touchscreen thats avalible and has been in years.

I agree. Prior to buying the iPhone I have never liked using touch screen phones. The iPhone screen is excellent though and very easy to use.

wait until the 3g iphone is out in august :) IMO.

I have the iphone at present and although its a nice phone there are a few things that are limited, such as forwarding txts, camera isnt that good. Apple`s interface is excellent and the way it works is flawless.

But i would wait for the 3g one as its gona be awesome.

Citroen DS3 DSport
The new iPhone should be announced on June 9th, expect it to be in the shops soon after that day.

Monaco Ph2 172
Neither. N95 is just too big and is a Nokia. iPhone is very nice, but lacks 3G, MMS and is a bit naff for texting on.

If this was 6 months ago, then I would have said LG Viewty over either of them, but as others have said, the 3G iPhone will be out soon, so that should right the wrongs of Apple's first attempt and give us the phone they should have made in the beginning!

Yes it lacks 3G, oh noooes, painfully slow internet.

MMS is add-on-able.

Texting is fine, just need to get used to it.

VaVa
iPhones are beautiful things. But I'm an engineer so features are far more important. A s**t camera, no MMS, no GPS and no 3G means it doesn't get a look in for me.

Nice if you like to pose though.

Revels Mum & Sister
PMSL at the engineer comment I love you laingo

You have an SLR and no doubt a compact, Sat Nav on phones is s**t PERIOD. The screens are next to useless.

How often do you use 3G not very I bet especially seeing as 3G coverage is patchy.

The design of the item, build quality, the way it works is spot on. Its like saying a Lada is good from a engineering point of view because it has sat nav and other such toys

To me engineering is about design and construction which it does very well

VaVa

You have an SLR and no doubt a compact, Sat Nav on phones is s**t PERIOD. The screens are next to useless.

How often do you use 3G not very I bet especially seeing as 3G coverage is patchy.

The design of the item, build quality, the way it works is spot on. Its like saying a Lada is good from a engineering point of view because it has sat nav and other such toys

That's why you're not an engineer ;). Sure, aesthetics come into it at some point (and I've already said the iphone is a lovely bit of kit)... but the first priority is function ;) Do you think the Golden Gate Bridge was designed that way becuase it looks nice? Which is about as relevant as your lada comment tbh lol

And sat nav works spot on? Screen is fine! It'll never replace a stand alone sat nav system, but it's perfectly useable, and is one less thing to have to carry round!

You're not going to convince me on this one. Sure the iPhone has a nice touch screen HMI, but it's massively under specced for the money imho. Besides... if they got the design spot on... it would be smaller imho.

Last edited:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

That's why you're not an engineer ;). Sure, aesthetics come into it at some point (and I've already said the iphone is a lovely bit of kit)... but the first priority is function ;) Do you think the Golden Gate Bridge was designed that way becuase it looks nice? Which is about as relevant as your lada comment tbh lol

And sat nav works spot on? Screen is fine! It'll never replace a stand alone sat nav system, but it's perfectly useable, and is one less thing to have to carry round!

You're not going to convince me on this one. Sure the iPhone has a nice touch screen HMI, but it's massively under specced for the money imho. Besides... if they got the design spot on... it would be smaller imho.

Smaller isn't always better! I think the form factor is about right, small phones suck ass big style.

The iPhone was considerably more powerful than any phone that was around at it's launch, technology has moved on since then.

I seriously hope that the new one isn't any smaller!