ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ND16 Filter

1.8 Civic EX
I'm thinking of getting one or something simular to be able to take some longer exposure shots during the day.

I'm sure I've seen some of you post examples using similar filters in the past but can't find them so feel free to post any up here along with the filter used and the settings for the pic please. Will help me justufy the purchase and get some ideas for use other than waterfalls lol

I used one to take this at nght

flying_light_by_StuMac1985.jpg

Awesome fun to be had with these types of filters!

106 seconds:
DSC_7979.jpg

119 seconds:
DSC2328.jpg

30 seconds: (bearing in mind that's a bright sunrise)
DSC2321.jpg

Those were taken with the Lee Big Stopper (10 stop filter)

1.8 Civic EX
looks like HiTech also do a 10stop one, assuming not as good as the lee one though?

Also I have the cokin p-series filter holder, assuming all the filters are the same size so would fit?

Merc A class
Could you post the link to where you got it from Dan? :)

I tried to order one from calumet and apparently there is 2-3months wait on them.

1.8 Civic EX
ordered myself the ND16 at the weekend, should hopefully turn up tomorrow. Will see how much use I get out of it, if it turns out to be a regular I may purchase another one so I can double them up :)

Fiesta ST-3
Wow didn't realise that they were that kind of money though they were closer to £70-80 :(

I thought they were around £80? How much are they?

I'm going to by some welding glass and practice with that before investing in a Lee.

Cupra
A question to those with the big stopper... Do you have much of a colour cast on your photos?

I have read mixed reports from people with some say that the cameras auto balance corrects it and others finding that they have to do it in post. Just curious for when my bank account has recovered from getting my car back to working order.

I've got one, and there is a little bit of a cast. I haven't heard of any cameras auto correcting it.

I just adjust in post, usually adjusting the colour sliders to make it look more natural. It's usually a slight blue hue to the photo, so easy to correct.

I get a pretty warm / orange cast with my B&W 10 stop, although this can be corrected with the White Balance in RAW when post processing.

Cupra
Good to hear that the colour cast is easy to remove. I have also seen some people say that the welding glass colour cast is very tough to remove so I think it's probably worth paying the extra for a Lee filter. :)

Fiesta ST-3
I've just got in from shooting with my Welding glass and tbh the cast is pretty strong afterwards. But on elements, one click of the white balance tool removes it instantly. I won't shot you my pictures as they are all massively over exposed due to my first time of shooting.

Fiesta ST-3
The clarity of the image looked good with no distortion but no I don't know how many stops. In digital photo it says 13 stops, which is 30 seconds but I went beyond that in some and they were massively too dark.

182 & Porsche 986
be interesting to see some pics taking with the welding glass, show us when you master the exposure :D

275 Trophy
The clarity of the image looked good with no distortion but no I don't know how many stops. In digital photo it says 13 stops, which is 30 seconds but I went beyond that in some and they were massively too dark.

You sure about 13 stops? If you original exposure should of been 1/60th second, 13 stops extra gets you to 136 seconds doesn't it? - rather more than the 30 you say. Not sure what camera your using but does the sensor have a flat response curve for long exposures? If not you'll have to add even more exposure time.

For 13 stops, take your original shutter speed, and halve it 13 times.

The big stopper is 10 stops, and that's a lot, 13 would be crazy long!

275 Trophy
For 13 stops, take your original shutter speed, and halve it 13 times.

The big stopper is 10 stops, and that's a lot, 13 would be crazy long!

Double it 13 times surely? Going backwards 13 stops from 30 seconds gets you towards 1/8000th, give or take.

275 Trophy
Too much sun (light)? :D

I'm interested in trying something like this. I assume by you saying 'take your original shutter speed' that the meter wont meter with somthing like a 10 stop filter? I know my Nikons are pretty good at metering but that must be black TTL, no?